TraceMonkey to make Mozilla Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080822/firefox_3_logo.png​
Firefox 3.1 will run many Web-based applications such as Gmail faster through incorporation of a feature called TraceMonkey that dramatically speeds up programs written in JavaScript, Mozilla said Friday.

JavaScript has been very broadly used to add pizzazz or flexibility to Web pages over the years, but in recent years, it's also become the plumbing for many rich Internet applications. However, because JavaScript has been hobbled by pokey performance, Web-based applications often struggled to work as responsively as "native" software running directly on PCs, and programmers writing Web applications have often turned to other options, such as Adobe Systems' Flash and Flex.
Now Mozilla hopes to change the balance of power in JavaScript's favor.
"TraceMonkey is a project to bring native code speed to JavaScript," said Mike Shaver, Mozilla's interim vice president of engineering, adding that JavaScript performance nearly doubles compared to Firefox 3.0, based on the SunSpider test of JavaScript performance. That speeds up many basic tasks, but it also brings image editing and 3D graphics into JavaScript's abilities, he said.
On Thursday, Mozilla programmers built TraceMonkey into the latest developer version of the open-source Web browser, and it will appear in the next released test version, which likely will be the first beta of Firefox 3.1, Shaver said. Firefox 3.1 is due in final form by the end of the year, though Mozilla is willing to let the schedule slip a bit, if necessary.

Read More

I just found one line amusing: People+ are tur+ni+ng+ to adobe's flash.
In my rig, adobe flash plugin SUCKS like +he+ll so much that I need to use flashblock to make +my computer NOT crash often. Java is simply beautiful.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I just found one line amusing: People+ are tur+ni+ng+ to adobe's flash.
In my rig, adobe flash plugin SUCKS like +he+ll so much that I need to use flashblock to make +my computer NOT crash often. Java is simply beautiful.
[offtopic]

WTH is with ur Keyboard ? Typing too many '+'... Same as IRC ! :(

[/offtopic]

Really nice... :)

Davidboon

In the zone
i think its available, right now my Firefox detected a new version of Firefox is available for update, it was version 3.0.1 .

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Re: When will it be released??

I am waiting but when will it be released???

Firefox 3.1a1 was available at last July and the next alpha2 and beta versions will be released on September this year. I presume Mozilla will be releasing Firefox 3.1 in December'08 or January next year.

keshavasiva

Banned
Java came from Sun Microsystems. :D :D :D

Jokes apart, actually I was also wondering the same. ;)

Yes. Javascript is from ECMA... its a standard... It resembles a bit of java but not JAVA!!
Its combination of javascript of netscape and Jscript of Microsoft!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom