Toshiba Laptop Reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
Hi guys!

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 with pre loaded Windows XP Pro. I want to reinstall the Windows in it. How should I do it. I remember a friend of mine saying that he reinstalled it using an application that comes with most laptops that come preloaded with OSs.

Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

Thanks!

Sourabh

Laptoping
Moved this to software troubleshooting. Did the laptop come with any recovery CD? I don't think Toshiba notebooks have that feature you are talking about (Lenovo has those, so do Sony and HP in some similar format)

If the laptop is still running on the OS which was preinstalled when you brought the notebook, check the programs menu to know if there are some software installed for it. If not, your best option would be to do a manual install which is always preferred. In case you have no OS Installation media, make sure you get the CD key from the existing installation or check the rear end of the notebook :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
1st=> If you have the "Recovery Disks" provided with the laptop, then put the disk in & restart the laptop. after this just follow the "Onscreen Instructions".

2nd=> there should be some app. in Program Menu, which allows one to create "Recovery Disks", create them & use it for re-installation.
[this 2nd option is when you dont have Recovery Disks @ first place]

NOTE::: first take back-up of all important data from (all) Partition(s) before attempting this.
b'coz OEM XP (most of times) delete all Partitions & restore the HDD (laptop) to its Factory settings. (only XP will be on the HDD).

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Ok here goes, all the companies keep a wierd partition structure in laptops or else they do not partition at all they just keep a single whole partition. And I have also seen in some laptops that the cd of XP or whatever os comes with that doesnt allow us to change the partitions. So what you do is install XP from a cd that didnt come with the laptop. And you will be good to go. I hope this was what you wanted.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if you're talking about only a XP re-install (no formatting), then search in the "Programs Menu" or restart the l/t with recovery disk, .

thru "Programs menu"-
there might be an option as "Standard Recovery", select this to re-install XP without affecting any data (even on C: drive).

thru "Recovery Disk"- (might not give the options)
its console will give you TWO options,-> 1. Full System Recovery ; 2. Standard Recovery.

Better read the Instruction Manual before doing anything regarding XP re-installation. :wink:

OP
nagarjun_424

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
Thanks guys! I called the support center. They said that I have to press 0 while booting and that will take me into the recovery system. There, I have to follow the on-screen information to reinstall the OS. Has anyone tried this with their laptop?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom