Torvalds tells users to switch to KDE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Without tip-toeing around the matter, Linus Torvalds made his preference in the GNOME vs. KDE matter quite clear on the GNOME-usability list: "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE. This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do. Please, just tell people to use KDE." Also, "Gnome seems to be developed by interface nazis, where consistently the excuse for not doing something is not 'it's too complicated to do', but 'it would confuse users'." :(

*www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=12956

Gnome Mailing Lists:

*mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

*mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html

praka123

left this forum longback
:D :x whatever Linus's attitude,GNOME is the future and am die-hard fan of GNOME.GNOME will improve...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I personally prefer KDE but I don't think GNOME is that bad. I loved the GNOME interface on Ubntu 5.10 live cd it seemed so great.
We as open source proponents should promote both. After all competition is something that brings out the best in competitors.
LONG LIVE KDE! LONG LIVE GNOME! LING LIVE OSS!

Satissh S

Youngling
Arre yar!! Stop this GNOME vs KDE cr*p. Why do linus wan't to promote KDe vs GNOMe when both can be coexist peacefully! This splits up the entire community. This is bad and for OSS to blossom to new levels we've gotta be united. When redhat on one end trying to make GNOME and KDE look same with the bluecurve theme, why is this cra* is said by linus..

I personally prefer Enlightenment , ICEWM, FVWM b'coz they are light and extremely customisable.

BTW My first dislike about kde or gnome, is their "not so original" menu button. Why do we need buttons to open a menu. When we can do so with a right click. If we got go and click that button to open a menu and browse thro' apps it takes a lotta time ain't it? ;)

I didn't want to offend any GNOME or KDE users here. Just offered my free opinion. ;) :D

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
This same fight is going on in the Tux Magazine as well..I have started trying other wm`s .. have tried about 9 now...

cryptid

Journeyman
Gnome Rulez!!!! i feel KDE is just a Lame clone of Windows(its good for ppl who are migrating from windows to Linux), and whats wrong with things being simple i like gnome and i always will, i think we need to start a poll on Gnome Vs KDE and see who wins

And for some reason i think Linus is being paid loads of money to promote KDE

Satissh S

Youngling
I saw that it was in one of his mailing lists, so no doubt that he said it. May be he might have adviced newbies to give kde a try. But the "GNOME-idiots" thingy seems too much..

gauravnawani

Journeyman
For the record Linus himself uses Gnome, and he was not asking to switch per se he was barking mad over the gnome developer's unusually high rigidnes(may be stubborness) to HCI conformation.

He made pretty valid points, Instead of assuming UI for a dumb user they should provide powerful features too, some of us all might want to use them after all. They are making things neat & clean, much too clean akin to removing all features??

GNOME has also been switching things over a lot lately, nautilus has become like a mordern dance instructor, evey major roll has either switched back to old features or changed radically.

HCI has done an incridible job at improving the Desktop quality on Linux, but there are time when you need to let it go, Apple the trailblaizer in HCI in its MAC OS also sometimes goes easy on HCI for funcnality.

Vignesh actualy Tuxmagazine is another issue, she (you know what I mean) is a fanatic, so she rants most things with hate rather than making a valid argument. She rants a lot and Big boss supports here a lot.

Cryptid this argument holds good generally but, the important thing is Linux have choice of either desktops. So poll is nothing but a waste of energy. If you want I can tell you the out come KDE have more users as plain as that. Gnome seem to be popluar with more geekys.

Satish S you just skimmed over it rightoo??

mediator

Technomancer
wow first we have linux vs windows, then unix vs linux and now fight goes internel gnome vs kde, what da heck!!

gauravnawani

Journeyman
mediator said:
wow first we have linux vs windows, then unix vs linux and now fight goes internel gnome vs kde, what da heck!!

First one is for 'Fanatics' second one is for 'geeky fanatics' third one is for 'Fanatics'.

So now do you really see war happening??

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
YA the war has begun...But I don`t see the problem if the geeks know even the internals of Linux and they can`t understand how to use Gnome..They are stupid not the people who use Gnome..

razorjack

Right off the assembly line
I have tried both gnome and kde extensively.... but i have to agree on one thing ... being a poweruser ... gmome limits me to a damning dumbness. I find myself diving to the console everytime in gnome.

Right now im running a beautifully configured kde desktop... the latest ...eye candy i've added is Tango Desktop courtesy of the www.tango-project.com.

With kde i've got everything i need accessible in a coupla clicks. And whats with the file dialog boxes in gnome ... try accessing a file in /usr/lib/some/file ... in kde u can directly jump to the last dir.

One thing gnome has given is a major case of carpel tunnel syndrome with the number of clicks required to do anything.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
@Satissh.

I actually prefer vi.My favorite and my second favorite is nano...that is a remake of pico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom