Torrent problem in SIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsagar

Right off the assembly line
Hi ppl,
I am using sify broadband .And since last 3-4 days I am unable to use torrent.Hell I even tried emule and azureus .None of them worked.Has Sify blocked anything .Can someone help me ?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm.. i have checked... atleast in our area of Kolkata, its working fine... may be there is some thing wrong with ur system...

check whether any firewall is on or any other software is blocking the access...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
When i was on sify, they used to block ports, so torrents were impossible! Dunno the situation now..

gg_3000

Broken In
When i had Sify, they used to block bearshare, emule and all such p2p clients.. Even most torrent clients were blocked.. But utorrent worked gr8 for me.. It was not blocked!

kalpik

They are actually not supposed to do any filtering, but they used to do it, at least in my area. When i was on sify, they also blocked grc.com, they said their shields up test generated a lot of pings on their servers. WTH, if you cannot handle pings, why dont you just quit being an ISP?? But who has the time to make them understand that they should just stop being ISPs and looting people?! Probably they block P2P and torrents because their servers cannot "handle" the traffic :p

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
kalpik said:
When i was on sify, they also blocked grc.com, they said their shields up test generated a lot of pings on their servers. WTH, if you cannot handle pings, why dont you just quit being an ISP??

kalpik said:
Probably they block P2P and torrents because their servers cannot "handle" the traffic

did u ever thought of sueing them ???

man...

how can one tolarate this... u have TRAI ... u have Core... and most of all u have ur legal rights... u guyess just cant seat and watch the show go on... :mad:

when u spend so much time on Forum... just spend few hours in written few letter... :cool:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
things fine for me ... torrents everything seems to b woking for now .... butthese guys really suck man every other day request timed out .... dimag kharab ho gaya hai their customer exec now knows me by name ....

gg_3000

Broken In
saurav_cheeta said:
did u ever thought of sueing them ???
how can one tolarate this... u have TRAI ... u have Core... and most of all u have ur legal rights... u guyess just cant seat and watch the show go on... :mad:
I'm sure that even 2day sify is involved in blocking.. Also in smaller towns where BSNL, Airtel and other majors are not present, the Local Cable Operators rule.. They provide 64 Kbps and 128 Kbps connections under the name of "Broadband".. But for ppl in those towns, there's no other go.. Though their tariff is quite cheap, they block torrents and p2p.. this suits them, as their servers can not handle high traffic!

They r clearly mentioning that these things would be blocked, while u ask for a connection from them.. But, they aren't supposed to do it! If only any of those living in such towns takes up this issue with the court or trai, there wont be any end to it..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
gg_3000 said:
They r clearly mentioning that these things would be blocked, while u ask for a connection from them..

sorry... though i am not 100% sure , but still i cant agree with u...

just like Mobile Operator cant ask u for Incoming call charge at any mean ... just like that ISP cant block those application... unless Government ask them to block certain applications....

once again i am not 100% sure about it.. i will enquire and will reply back...

gg_3000 said:
But for ppl in those towns, there's no other go..

once again... i dont agree... they do... its called Core under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution...

just for those people u mentioned... its very very effective... well personally i have seen that they are one of those few GOV section who works... they r a little slow... but they do take so very very strong stapes once u give enough documentation...

kalpik

^^ That cablewaala shut down the branch when airtel came here.. I made sure everyone taking internet from him shifted to airtel. I personally made calls to people and asked them to switch :p

And as for writing to the govt, core, trai etc.. I give a **** to the indian government. Dont want to waste my time on writing letters. I have better things to do in my life.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
dont know if people read the 'terms and conditions' that all of the ISPs have .. and are rechecked and rechecked by some of the brilliant minds in LAW

heres an excerpt from an ISP

Limitation of Broadband Services

Our Internet Services has deployed certain technologies into its Network Operating Center that track the utilization of the Internet bandwidth of each end-user subscriber. These technologies are designed to ensure equal Internet access for all end-user subscribers.

The unlimited usage plan is designed and priced for individual residential access of a non-commercial nature. It is designed to provide the “reasonable” user with download at speeds as per the rate-plan chosen by the user. Therefore, our Broadband's RUP (reasonable use policy) establishes an equitable balance in Internet access for end-users regardless of the end-user’s frequency of use or volume of traffic.

Our technologies have the ability to identify, in real-time, excessive consumption of bandwidth on a per end-user basis and correct it by temporarily reducing the throughput of the specific end-user that is excessively consuming bandwidth on the network. Once an end-user is identified as excessively using bandwidth, its individual throughput speed will begin to be reduced downward to a preset minimum. Once the end-user reduces its throughput and the our technologies observe the end-user’s usage of the bandwidth returning to RUP levels, the throughput limitations are progressively lifted over a period of time. This period of time is dependent on the total size and time period of the initial consumption that caused the reduction.

Our RUP has been designed to give end-users an above average surfing experience that far exceeds the typical end-user’s needs. Additionally, the RUP ensures that the end-users all experience fair and equal access to the benefits of a satellite delivered broadband Internet access service. The RUP prevents the network from being congested by a handful of end-user’s activities. End-users that maintain an average daily usage of up to a resonable amount per day should not notice any throughput limitation. However, end-users that continually download large files, such as complete operating systems (e.g. Linux), should experience throughput limitations on a pro-rata basis over time until their average utilization returns to the levels expected from an individual residential user. Our RUP will still allow for large consumers of bandwidth to complete the download of their data. However, this type of end-user will experience throughput speed reductions until such time that their usage conforms to average usage patterns.

We reserve the rights to adjust download limitations as required to assure all users of equal access to the provided high-speed download service. The current RUP is based on cumulative usage over the previous 30-day period.

once you become a customer.. u have unknowingly signed and confirmed the said words in the terms and conditions

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
it is abt time tht we guys took these isps to court

come on techies this 1 is our responsibility ....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
NucleusKore said:
Do you want them to see how much mp3 or Xvid you have in stock?

Come On...

do u think Torrents are only for those?? Not attall... Free Linux Oses are shared through torrents... many Free software are tools are shared through torrents as the developer might not be able to afford the cost of Bandwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom