Top 5 all time Action/War/Martial Art movie

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Top 5 all time action/War/Martial Art movie

Whats your top 5 all time Action/War and Martial Art movie ......
Now action as a genre is vast, so think and share. The only genre I do not want to include is WAR, and Martial Arts.They deserve their separate top 5. Though there is no rule to participate, but I would say people who have seen atleast 300 movies in total are more welcome to share. Also world cinema can be included (except our own Bollywood)

So share on ......

In no particular Order ...

Top 5 Action Movie

1. Terminator 1
2. Terminator 2
3. The Killer
4. Hard Boiled
5. Robocop & Die Hard (theres a tie)

Top 5 martial Arts

1. Prodigal Son
2. Knockabout
3. Magnificent Butcher
4. Police Story and Police Story 3:Super cop (there is a tie)
5. Drunken Master II

Top 5 WAR

1. Black Hawk Down
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Assembly
4. Gladiator
5. Brave Heart

If there is interest we will start a top 5 Sci fi, Top 5 romantic, Top 5 Drama and Top 5 Mind**** movies.

PS ::::: Ok let add Worthy Mentions ..... so you have your top 5 and then add 5,6 more that you think were very close to be at the top 5 ...

Last edited:

ashs1

Padawan
Top 5 Action :
( in no particular order )
Terminator 2, Die Hard, Enemy of the state, Face off, Body of Lies

( really weird choices, but i chose these movies because i would never get bored watching these movies, no matter how many times)

Top 5 war :

Saving private ryan, rambo, gladiator, inglorius basterds, 300( if this doesn't count, then pearl harbour), ...does schindler's list count as war movie??

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Oh man.. so many movies... how can one choose only top 5 !!! >_<

Yes I can understand ...... Ok let add Worthy Mentions ..... so you have your top 5 and then add 5,6 more that you think were very close to be at the top 5 ...

My worth Mentions in action ....

1. John Wick
2. A better tomorrow 1 and 2
3. Ronin
4. Die Hard 4
5. RAMBO

WAR.

1. Hamburger Hill
2. 71:in to the fire
3. Brotherhood of war
4 Platoon
5 Guns of Navarone

Martial Art.

1. Ip Man
2. Police Story 2
3. Dragons Forever
4. Fearless Hyena
5. Project A 1 and 2

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
My Best in Martial Arts:
============
1) Enter the Dragon
2) Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
3) Project A 1 & 2
4) Police Story 1 & 2
5) Armor Of God 1 & 2

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Snake in the monkey shadow was wee bit better than Egale shadow, though Eagle shadow had Jacky Chan in lead .....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
action

1. equilibrium
2. mad max fury road
3. speed racer
4. aeon flux
5. ultraviolet

worthy mentions t2, the fifth element and the matrix

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
WAR:
==============
1) Apocalypse Now
2) Saving Private Ryan
3) Braveheart
4) Inglourious Basterds
5) Platoon

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Saving private ryan, rambo, gladiator, inglorius basterds, 300( if this doesn't count, then pearl harbour), ...does schindler's list count as war movie??

Dont get me wrong dude but Pearl Harbour was a retard movie, just the CGI infested main harbour attack does not make the movie worth ...... hope M.Bay learnt this lession

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Action

1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2. The Termiator
3. The Matrix
4. Die Hard
5. The Dark Knight

War

1. The Thin Red Line
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Schindler's List & Gladiator (if that counts)
4. Grave of the Fireflies
5. Black Hawk Down

not much into martial arts movies

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I would put matrix in sci fi not action as such ...... BTW have you seen John Woo's The Killer ?

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I would put matrix in sci fi not action as such ...... BTW have you seen John Woo's The Killer ?
Yeah, Its a good movie but not around my top movies.
Not yet seen Hard Boiled (#4 in your top action list)

If I had to remove The Matrix, I'd put "The Rock" or "The Bourne Identity" at #5

Last edited:
OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Yes I added that you can add 5,6 more as worthy mentions ...so you are most welcome to put your top 10 in a way ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Its a good movie but not around my top movies.
Not yet seen Hard Boiled (#4 in your top action list)

Hard Boiled is Killer on multi steroids .... Its insane in bullet ballet action,make sure you watch with good print and surround sound ....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
matrix is action sequence after action sequence.
jumping between terraces. mind uploaded kung fu in a dojo. bullet time. chaingun mounted on a helicopter... your argument is invalid. lobby scene. subway tracks fight.
the fantastic exposition is just an excuse to showcase the action and space it out with some dramatic dialogues

Ronnie012

Earthling
Top 5

Action

a) Sholay (1973) Sholay (1975) - IMDb - Undoubtedly one of the finest Indian action movies ever.
b) Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - IMDb - Be the Judge.
c) Commando 1985 - Commando (1985) - IMDb - Heroics and Histrionics.
d) Licence to Kill (1989) - Licence to Kill (1989) - IMDb - All Bond movies have their own charm.
e) Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001) - Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001) - IMDb - Action means Sunny Deol.

Martial Arts

a) The Big Boss (1971) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0067824/ - Martial Arts mean Bruce Lee!
b) Fist of Fury A.K.A The Chinese Connection - www.imdb.com/title/tt0068767/- Like I said Martial Arts means Bruce Lee!
c) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0190332/ - This one from the oscars.
d) The One (2001) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0267804/ - Martial Arts finds a new meaning - Jet Li.
e) Ong-bak (2003 - www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/ - ACT-SON.

WAR

a) Border (1997) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0118751/ - Undoubtedly one of the finest Indian war movies.
b) The Pianist (2002) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0253474/ - Its about Music.
c) The Thin Red Line (1998) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0120863/ - I watched it a long time back, 17 years.
d) The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0050212/ -Old is Gold.
e) Apocalypse Now (1979) - www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/ - Old is Antique.

Last edited:
Top Bottom