Ambassador of Buzz
HMMM Summer is getting too hot
I need some cooling devices.....
I hav got budget of Rs 500
I m having Intel P4 2.66 (533)
P5RD1 - VM mobo
300 Watt SMPS
Having VIP G300 Cabinet
This Cabinet has got many options for fitting FAns...
NOw the prblem is tht im having no FANS...
I just wanna know which fan i shld buy...
My budget is till 500....
PLz help me...
Though the temp of Pc is around 39 - 42 degree always...but then too im thinking of overclocking it...
PLEASE SUGGEST FEW COOLERS....

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah try one from coolermaster or from Zalman.
Either put on good thermal paste from coolermaster and then try velocity from the same. It works great.
If there is any possibility to change cabinet then choose the one from Antec with supersilent option or caviar from coolermaster.
thats it.

bye.

cyrux

In the zone
mayanksharma said:
If there is any possibility to change cabinet then choose the one from Antec with supersilent option or caviar from coolermaster.
thats it.
bye.

Either you didnt read the first post properly or dont know the price of antec cabinets...

He mentioned a budget of 500 . Antec PSUs cabinet start of from 4k(the 4k one has the least pwoer O/P. A 350 W would atleast cost 6k)

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
vip g 300 has options for 4 fans .. 2 in front and 2 back all 80 mm .. so get ur self some good 80 mm fans and put 2 of them in front sucking the air inside the cabinet and put other 2 at the back pulling all the heat out of the cabinet .. also make sure the fan on the side panel is blowing the fresh air into the cabinet not outside .. also i think the g 300 has option on the opposite side panel .. i mean panel on the back of the board .. if possible then do put a fan their blowing fresh air on the back of the mobo and see if that helps ..

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
ohhhh sorry for that.
i didn't read your budget.
but in my post i have also mentioned the thermal paste from coolermaster.
And with your budget, you can choose from various Coolermaster cooling fans.
Believe me they are just great,and will definitely help you cooling your cabinet.

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@ yogi7272
Thnx for ur support
But i was knowing tht
My quetion is which fan to go for n how much does it cost....?
@ mayanksharma
R u talking about applying thermal paste to the processor...
IF yess Then i have a question 4 u???
After applyong thermal paste by how much temperature of processor reduces
Also were can i get this paste whts d cost of it...

Tech&ME

Banned
ymhatre said:
@ yogi7272
Thnx for ur support
But i was knowing tht
My quetion is which fan to go for n how much does it cost....?
@ mayanksharma
R u talking about applying thermal paste to the processor...
IF yess Then i have a question 4 u???
After applyong thermal paste by how much temperature of processor reduces
Also were can i get this paste whts d cost of it...

@ mayanksharma

Are you out of your mind ? What the hell are you suggesting, to apply thermal paste in a Prescott processor ? Where did you learnt that ? :wink: :twisted:

@ymhatre

You can buy extra fan for your cabinet from coolermaster, they will cost you 200 to 400 (depends upon your choice of models).

You also mentioned about overclocking., What are you going to overclock anyways ? :?: :evil:

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@ tech me
THNX
YES also i had heard tht prescott processor dont need any thermal paste as it is already present...
also as u know im having G300 cabinet... i will definetly go for good fan... no matter 200 or 400
yes i want to overclock my processor.
Im having one Qs
since im having 300 WATT SMPS will
tht be OK for overclocking

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
listen buddy , ymhatre .. as u have 2.66 with 533 fsb , ur p4 has a lot of headroom for overclocking .. also u seem to have asus board which is the best mobo maker where overclocking is concerned for intel procis ..

now abt the coolermaster fans ... they are costly ..80 mm for 572 rs ..
i do have complete pricelist for coolermaster and antec products .. these are excellent products but are costly .. now u can go for a local brand fan which is available for 35 rs at lamington road .. also antec 80 mm pro fan is available for 291 rs each .. so better get local fans which are cheap

also the thermal paste which comes with intel stock cooler is good but not sufficient especially here in india in summer .. better use all ur funds to buy a nice thermal paste like arctic silver 5 - 650 rs or arctic ceramic -550 rs or cooler master thermal compound -208 rs or cooler master premium thermal compount -676 rs or antec silver compound - 650 rs

out of these i have used the cooler master - 208 rs compound which i found better than what intel provides but not sufficient .. the 676 rs premium i told is nice one .. or u can always go for arctic silver 5 which is the absolute best ..

also for overclocking ur proci .. u need good psu with atleast 400 w ratings .. consider powersafe .. which i found sufficient myself ..

i hve done a bit of oc with it .. with no prob what so ever .. i hve oced a
2.6 c to 3.25 ghz with no probs with this psu .. also since temp is rising these days its always advisable to try these oc missions at some other seasons like monsoon or winter .. or get ur self a good cpu cooler if u want to indulge in serious oc .. also do oc ur chip with bios of ur mobo
and not with asus aibooster .. also cooler master has introduced
BLUE ICE a chipset cooler with single heatpipe and 40 mm fan .. reviews for which are available on the net .. this thing is damn good .. keeps temp on ur northbridge within the limit .. specially good for those sli guys .. price is 576 rs

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@yogi 7272
Thnx for the info

dude as i said my budget is 500
wht if i wait for abt a month n collect abt 1500Rs
wht shld i then go for...
450/400 watt PSU or Some Stuff frm Coolermaster
Cuz i cant wait for more than a month for OC..
Please suggest...

cyrux

In the zone
yogi7272 said:
now abt the coolermaster fans ... they are costly ..80 mm for 572 rs ..
i do have complete pricelist for coolermaster and antec products .. these are excellent products but are costly .. now u can go for a local brand fan which is available for 35 rs at lamington road .. also antec 80 mm pro fan is available for 291 rs each .. so better get local fans which are cheap
Where does the difference lie between local and reputed fans..... Material of blades ? RPM ? cooling ?

Is it really worth going for the high priced fans..Do we get what we paid for ??

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
yogi 7272
me too waiting for ur reply
Does going for branded high priced fans is worth
n can u please tell me the price of BLUEICE frm coolermaster

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
I know that prescott comes with the thermal compoundings.
But as the options were asked for cooling, then there is absolutely no problem on applying thermal paste to the processor surface.
It will reduce your overall working temperature by 40-50%. Its true.
You can look out for Arctic Silver or Coolermaster HTK-001 or PTK-002.It will cost you around 350-600/- depending upon its availability.

Thanks.

And @tech&Me, for you:-
May be my friend,for once you are kinda new to cooling or might doesn't know at all about it. Then its ur problem pal!!Go and look out for more cooling techniques available out there in the market or try searchin the same on google! You may find out ur answers there. So, never doubt anyone on the topic,to which you are novice or didn't know anything!!

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey guys
@mayansharma n @ TECH&ME
please guys calm down, no fights.
@ mayansharma
actually i said this bcoz while assembling my first Pc i requested the dealer to apply thermal paste on proci..
but at tht time he said tht this is presscot processor...
u dont have to apply a thermal paste on this one..
he said u will need to apply it after 2 -3 years when the layer of the thermal paste is abt to vanish...
hence it is not advisible to apply thermal paste to a new proci...
n my proci is just 4 weeks old..

I m not trying to get diplomatic, but i had also seen some of guys applying thermal paste to a new proci...
But tht is not advisible...

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well Intel Provides a thermal Pad as thermal interface between the CPU IHS and the Heatsink.

Applying AS5 helps a lot though.It does not reduce temps but helps in bringing down temps down fast.
For example you are doing encoding and CPU is 100% loaded and temps are around 50c but your idle temps are around 35c then after u stop encoding and CPU usage is again at idle then the time required for bringing the CPU temps to 35C mark are reduced greatly by AS5.

it does not bring down idle and full load temps by a drastic margin.

Also when considering chipset cooling, well it isnt required unless you are doing some extreme stuff.

Asus gives sufficient enough Heatsink on its boards.

If you wanna go extreme,adding a fan over it helps considerably,no need for third party chipset coolers.

Also the recent ATI chipsets run pretty cool compared to the NF4 series.

Tech&ME

Banned
mayanksharma said:
But as the options were asked for cooling, then there is absolutely no problem on applying thermal paste to the processor surface.
You can look out for Arctic Silver or Coolermaster HTK-001 or PTK-002.It will cost you around 350-600/- depending upon its availability.

Thanks.

May be my friend,for once you are kinda new to cooling or might doesn't know at all about it. Then its ur problem pal!!Go and look out for more cooling techniques available out there in the market or try searchin the same on google! You may find out ur answers there. So, never doubt anyone on the topic,to which you are novice or didn't know anything!!

This is not a fight , I just want to make things clear.

I don't know where did you pick up the idea of applying a thermal compound to a Prescott Processor.

Intel has come up with THERMAL PAD, Which usually comes with the processor fan fixed on to the heatsink.

There is a vast difference between a TERMAL PAD and a Thermal Paste. Both work differently.

Do the following experiment and see for your self.

Put the thermal paste (which we apply on P4 socket 478 processors) and see for yourself what happens. You will get your answer.

Next you were talking about the Artic Silver, let me remind you that not only this compound is costly, it does not make much of a difference to temperature, only say 5 C of temp drop.

Another thing to note about this compound is that , its a permanent compound, you won't be able to separate your Processor with the heatsink untill and unless you apply a huge amount of strength. And if at all you apply such a strength to separate the processor with the heatsink, you may permanently damage the processor since, this processor has a different interface (opposite of what we had with the socket 478).

In my opinion, giving advice to people without warning them of suck situations is not a good advice at all.

And for your info, don't think you are the only one who knows everything about cooling. I am a professional assembler myself and have undergone company training from Intel, Microsoft, and HP.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
go for local made fans .. i was just giving the info for comparisons .. go get some local 80 mm fans .. and put 2 in front and 2 at back in g300 ..

also the thing abt silver 5 may be true .. it gets stucked to heatsink .. and u need a lot of force ... but it does reduce the temp by 3-10 degress when well settled in .. but all these are net info.. i haven't used it personally..

go get a cpu cooler or chipset cooler of cooler master instead of psu ..

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Tech&ME said:
mayanksharma said:

Thanks.

This is not a fight , I just want to make things clear.

I don't know where did you pick up the idea of applying a thermal compound to a Prescott Processor.

Intel has come up with THERMAL PAD, Which usually comes with the processor fan fixed on to the heatsink.

There is a vast difference between a TERMAL PAD and a Thermal Paste. Both work differently.

Do the following experiment and see for your self.

Put the thermal paste (which we apply on P4 socket 478 processors) and see for yourself what happens. You will get your answer.

Next you were talking about the Artic Silver, let me remind you that not only this compound is costly, it does not make much of a difference to temperature, only say 5 C of temp drop.

Another thing to note about this compound is that , its a permanent compound, you won't be able to separate your Processor with the heatsink untill and unless you apply a huge amount of strength. And if at all you apply such a strength to separate the processor with the heatsink, you may permanently damage the processor since, this processor has a different interface (opposite of what we had with the socket 478).

In my opinion, giving advice to people without warning them of suck situations is not a good advice at all.

And for your info, don't think you are the only one who knows everything about cooling. I am a professional assembler myself and have undergone company training from Intel, Microsoft, and HP.

By no offense at all,
dude let me tell you,i am not a professional assembler like you and even haven't undergone training from the companies, you are telling.
But this is pretty sure that, what we do in front of our eyes and practically observes and analyzes the facts, counts more than your so called "training".
And even if you are true to ur words, then believe me you wouldn't have been here arguing on the topic that you are still novice.

By the way, there is absolutely no problem in appying the paste to the new processor.

You must sometimes try visitin' these links:-
www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/thermal_paste/oczultra5/index.htm
hardware.mcse.ms/archive23-2004-10-94595.html
www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=184
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007
www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/print/arctic-cooling.html

I am providing these links,not to prove you wrong,but to make you realize the fact only.Please dont take this otherwise.
And it is true that we can only learn from each other.
By the way if something in my previous posts had hurt your feelings...I apologize for that.

Thank you for your time. :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent

You mean to say that the Heatsink is fixed on the CPU when it is in boxed condition ?? frankly that comment of yours doesnt make any sense to me. :roll:

Really ? i didnt know that,care to explain ?? :wink:

AS5 never reduces temperatures,it reduces the time required for bringing down temps when CPU is brought back to idle state from 100% load. :wink:

Another thing to note about this compound is that , its a permanent compound, you won't be able to separate your Processor with the heatsink untill and unless you apply a huge amount of strength

Yes you can.I have done that zillions of times,without damaging a single processor. :p

And if at all you apply such a strength to separate the processor with the heatsink, you may permanently damage the processor since, this processor has a different interface (opposite of what we had with the socket 478).

How could you possibly damage a LGA based CPU physically ???
I fail to understand or imagine that. :cry:

Well since when did Multinationals like Intel,HP start giving such horrific training?

Looking at your posts i am pretty sure,you were snoaring away to glory while the so-called training sessions were going on... :lol:

That applies to you too buddy.Infact giving wrong advice and putting forward wrong concepts is even more dangerous.
Someone once said,wrong knowledge is dangerous than half knowledge or soemthing like ,i dont remember now...lol :lol:

But seriously man,your post made me laugh.Thanks for entertaining me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom