To go OR Not to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkirad

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys

I will hopefully be buying a new PC but i cant decide if its right time to go for a PCI EXPRESS based system.
Will my ASUS V8200 Ti200 Deluxe AGP card work on PCI EXPRESS?

The chipsets i am intrested in are

925x EXPRESS
915P EXPRESS
875P
865PE

If PCI EXPRESS does not support normal PCI cards i'll be going for a mobo with AGP slot.
Which chipset is better for gaming 865 or 875? :?:
After we decide the chipset i will decide a ASUS mobo to go for.
I will also be going for a TV Tuner card.
SATA harddisk.

The processor will be 3.4ghz HT or 3.6ghz HT P4 Northwood. :twisted:

Please post your coments and suggetions.

NOTE:- I will be buying intel based PC only so i am not intrested in any AMD offer. No offence ment.

DKant

In the zone
No AGP card will fit into a PCI-E slot. U need a bridge for that purpose. If ur not interested in buying a PCI-E gfx card, then go for an AGP based mobo.

875 vs 865? Hmm..the 865 is an excellent value+performance combo and is very very popular. Dunno about 875. :?

If ur thinking abt buying a PCI-E card however, well the ones currently out on the Indian market are just AGP cards with a bridge, so it doesn't really make sense to go for one right now. The GeForce 6600 would be coming soon (or it mite have come already and I dunno) to the Indian market, though its price here would definitely be much higher than its international (read US) price of $199. :( I doubt if proper PCI-E versions of cards like the 6800 have come out yet...but neway they will be waaaaaayyyy too costly.

Looks like AGP would be the better option. :)

Unless u plan to wait till 2005....

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
i'm thinking of getting 6800Pro Nvidia....its propably A PCI Express card...will it fit into my AGP 8x slot...Please guide....

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
6800pro ! U must probably be talking abt the 6800Ultra or GT. And no u wont be able to use a PCI-E card with AGP 8X mobo. The PCI-E versions of 6800 series are out but those are HSI bridged ones and i m sure there's hardly demand for it. However true PCI-E cards are yet to be out, so u will have to make do with the HSI chip fitted ones, in which case u will be able to use it with a AGP 8X mobo.

theraven

Technomancer
@nkirad ... 2 posts on the same page ?
anyways check the other one
@fresh i posted a reply for this in some other topic for u
however
6800 first came to 8x
infact im not quite sure its been released to native pci-e yet
the x800 just got released on pci-e ... so 6800 cant be far behind
anyways the point being ull get an 8x 6800 !

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
theraven said:
1) its definitely not the time for pci express yet
another few months should do it
2) pci express based mobos have a min of 3 pci slots and on PCIx1 slot along with the pci express slot (x16)
3) 875 chipset is definitely better than 865
but if ur going for a budget pc then just get an 865 ...
4) get a pinnacle tv tuner card
ppl ard here will help u with the model number etc
5) seagate 80gb sata hdd *2 for radi0 config

still if u have the cash u can get a 915 mobo with processor of ur choice
915 has onboard graphics .. so take out a few months on this till PCI-E is in the market settled down
the x800 was jsut released on pci-E so things will start pickin up now ...
get a min of an x600 ( for rs 17k approx from asus) on ur new system ... but again wait till next year ( just a few months)

Phew ..

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
@blade the x800 from asus is out on native pci-e !!
for 47k !!
:D

yeah that coz it is ATI, Ati had decided not to use HSI bridges like Nvidia earlier :wink:. But the 47k is not justified !

theraven

Technomancer
thanx batty :D!!!
im sorry i wasnt sure which thread ud lock ...so i didnt repost myself
@blade ... yeah there was thie debate when HSI came into the picture
ATI "claimed" they dont use HSI ...
but apparently they were using integrated versions or something
well anyways ... its out .. its native PCI-E .. its asus .. and therefore its 47k !!!
:lolz:
i guess there will be other companies divin in ... but i doubt the prices will be any lower than ... say ... 38k !!
acc. to the asus site they even stopped bundling HL2 with their 9800/x800 ( i forgot which one they bundled it with)
what a waste .. sigh!

G

gxsaurav

ATI has made this clear that they will also be using a HSI bridge chip like NVIDIA, cos it is benifitial to produce one card & use chip insted of making two, now they are following NVIDIA

Untill GeForce 7xxx series comes, PCI-E will not have any advantage over AGP8X

OP
N

nkirad

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for all the replies but littel confused here

what is HSI bridge chip?

well what do u people think is pci express worth the wait is it the future?

i have 20k reserved for grafix card, i hope that is enough and i hope the prices will drop till then.

What if i manage to get a pci express grafix card from germany or UK i have close friends there.will it cost me less?

any idea about the price of 915 mobo?

I am definetley ready to wait till 2005 if its worth it i wana make a one time investment.

47k for a grafix card is too much for me (*sweating here*) i'll wait till the price drops.

Yes and i'll be going for pinnacle tv tuner card but is there a pci express version?

Please post comments,advices, suggetions.

Niranjan

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
@nkirad: Ofcourse PCI-E is the way to go. Even if a consumer finds AGP better, he will forced to adopt PCI-E in say a year or twos time since all major vendors, manufacturers will be making PCI-E mobos. So PCI-E will be forced down our throats no matter wot ! :)
getting a card frm abroad is gr8 but make sure that u will be able 2 send it back to then iun case anythng goes wrong.

@theraven: Well even ATi switched to HSI bridge for now, since it makes better business sense and lower costs ! ;) Wonder how Nvidia's gonna take that since Nvidia was at the receiving end when they showed their HSI chips ! LOL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom