*.tmp.exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

d

Journeyman
there seem to be a lot of *.tmp.exe files disguising themselves as tmp files in c:\windows\temp, and they show up in task manager too. i think it is some kind of dialer/worm, and one of its actions seem to be to disconnect the PPPoE connection and disable it further(though i have no idea why a dialer should disconnect internet access, instead of otherwise), because even when i double click on my dial-up-networking icon, nothing appears and i'm not able to shut down XP : it gets stuck at "saving your settings" everytime this happens, so i'm having to do a reset. it also creates a number of dial up networking connections with names such as "user..." . does anyone have an idea what worm this is? or where i can find a fix for it?

Thanks in advance

Anand_RF

Journeyman
I don't know the name of the worm, but -

1. Try shift+deleting your c:\windows\temp folder. Or, open up the processes tab in taskmgr.exe and end process tree of *.tmp.exe

2. Have you tried installing any anti-virus? Because it doesn't seem like you have one or it would've stopped the worm from coming in. If you can try and connect to the net, goto *housecall.trendmicro.com << online anti-virus checking and cleaning for free. If you can't, try installing an anti-virus or anti-spyware from one of the digit dvds, especially one that scans your computer before install. And hope it gets installed.

anandk

Distinguished Member
ya, quite possibly... ! trust u have scanned ur pc with an av and antispy in safe mode.

suggest u clean ur temp files. ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com would do a grear job...pref do the cleaning in SAFE MODE.

if problem stl persists, post ur hijackthis logfile here or at www.hijackthis.de for analysis :)

jenaguru

Broken In
Hi d, you may be in deep trouble. You do download antispyware prog. EWIDO antispyware 4.0 from www.ewido.net. It is free full version for 15 days then limited feature free version, but more than sufficient. Second, download kaspersky AV6.0 from www.kaspersky.com.

Install these two. Update immediately.

Run full system scan with these two with highest security settings, you may have to do this in safe mode. Kaspersky will take a l...o...n...g time to scan for the first time.

I think this will solve your problem. Let me know then.
With best hopes, Jenaguru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom