Thinkdigit Linux User Group (TLUG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

As we know, Linux is all about freedom and sharing with others. We have a few Linux Users Groups (LUG) in India to help other Linux users and newbies getting started with Linux. With so many Linux enthusiasts in this forum, let's start a new LUG to help other people.

Now, by help I do not mean solving online queries. For that the forum itself is there. But there are many wannabe Linux users who are not switching to Linux because of lack of guidance and sometimes lack of installation sources. So, let's take the spirit of this forum offline where we will be helping others with installation, free media etc. Also we can arrange for periodic informal meets in each city.

Let me know your inputs on this. Also, please post how you can help with Linux. Below is way I can help:

City: Bangalore
Help Expertise: Linux CDs, Installation, Other Help

Long live freedom. :)

OP
sourav123

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi mehul,

The other list mainly discusses about linux user groups that are already present. This thread is meant for a native LUG consisting of our forum members. Also many of the LUGs in big cities like Bangalore are quite defunct with the websites not updated. TLUG can help new users with offline help like installation etc. All I am trying to do is to help spread Linux. Many of the members have high Linux expertise and we can all benefit from them.

Let me know if you see my point.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Joined FOSS and Linux :D
How do linux enthusiast looking for help in small cities get it?? LUGs are mostly active in big cities..

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
For the benefit of the thread.

City: Tiruvalla , Kerala
Help: Can give installation media :)

Other help: Login to IRC maybe I or someone else could help you thee :p.

suniltr77

Broken In
I am helping small children to use linux from begining. I collect and donate old hardwares, install basic distros which can be run on old PCs. But due to old in nature I don't find sufficient space for experiment(removing and installing a second distro). Can anybody guide me? On a 10GB HDD(4+4+2)I want to remove the 2nd distro from 2nd partition and want to install another distro on that while my primary distro would be there intact. Presently I have to format the first 2 partitions.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I am helping small children to use linux from begining. I collect and donate old hardwares, install basic distros which can be run on old PCs. But due to old in nature I don't find sufficient space for experiment(removing and installing a second distro). Can anybody guide me? On a 10GB HDD(4+4+2)I want to remove the 2nd distro from 2nd partition and want to install another distro on that while my primary distro would be there intact. Presently I have to format the first 2 partitions.
Why not get one powerful machine, if you can afford, and run ltsp or such. Have a look at Edubuntu or k12ltsp

OP
sourav123

sourav123

Thinking Different

Start with the install CD/DVD of the distro you want to install. It will detect the partitions and ask you to select where you want to install. Select the partition where you want to install the second distro. It will format that partition and install on its own. But it may also make itselt the default boot in GRUB. If you don't want this to default, then try editing the Grub options.

By the way, you are doing excellent job man. Where do you live? Keep up the good work. Best wishes for you. :)

suniltr77

Broken In
Actually by doing this I get automatically a new unpartitioned space, that again takes a lot of space.Sometimes the MBR gets corrupted.
I live in Orissa. The main purpose is to change the attitude that I have still now. For any type of problem I run the XP to get a solution.As I don't have expertise to make the things by myself. Atleast they will not look for XP as they have started with Linox. The first appearance of an actor remains through out the life.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I was planning to move onto the Tux's way......happy to hear dat Td Linux guys r ready to help people like me.

I was gonna try Ubuntu as my first Linux OS......any suggestions?? ( not dat am completely new to Linux, I hav used many CD/DVD bootable Linux OSs )

BTW I hope praka and FilledVoid can help me, I'm from Kottayam(Kerala) :)

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I was planning to move onto the Tux's way......happy to hear dat Td Linux guys r ready to help people like me.

I was gonna try Ubuntu as my first Linux OS......any suggestions?? ( not dat am completely new to Linux, I hav used many CD/DVD bootable Linux OSs )

BTW I hope praka and FilledVoid can help me, I'm from Kottayam(Kerala)

Not a problem bud. What do you need? I have Ubuntu which Prakash sent me which I can send over if you need. I live near you lol. Prakash should be about 60 kms provided he lives in Muvattupuzha :). I usually do come to Kottayam once in a while also.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^thanx man.....I will tell when I need Ubuntu Disk.......am now having my xams :(

I tried Ubuntu Image given by the magazine, but it was a corrupted image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom