These kind of questions also Xsist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushab143

Broken In
Hey Pros,
Newbie here.Here's my SystemConfig. I'm just starting to build my career into 3dAnimation so it would be appreciated if you could patiently comment on my system config and answer a long list of questions below.

System Information
-----------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: D945GNT_
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1014MB RAM
HardDisk: 160GB SATA
Page File: 323MB used, 2113MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 1
------------
It's been just over 2months I've upgraded my PC. Please point out if there should be anything "seriously changed or upgraded".

Question 2
------------
I've a Cabinet with Zebronics 600W SMPS with 3 Fans (Model Name: ANTIBIOTIC) and it makes a "wind" like sound although it hasn't caused a problem, this happens only if I'm running a game (Cricket 2005) or Rendering some of my 3d scenes. Any issues here?

Question 3
------------
Suggest me the changes I desperately need to make in order to make my PC capable of performing high-speed* renders.

*I'm not telling that my PC is "stubborn slow" but yeah, I would still like it that it is capable of performing high-speed renders

Question 4
-------------
As you'd already noticed that I do not have a GraphicsCard (PCI Card) installed, is it argueable that to speed up things (like my 3d scenes should render fast) and I've put in a graphics card?

How good is my default Graphics config, that is my onboard graphics card?

Will my INTEL945 GNT board support SLI...that is.... if I wanna jam in two 6800GT/7800GTX card or if it doesn't can I put in a 6800GT/7800dualGPU on the same motherboard (INTEL 945GNT)

Question 5
------------
Would you recommend me to upgrade fromm my current system config to
ASUS-A8N-SLI-PREMIUM Motheboard and 64 X2 4800+ processor or stay with my current config and invest in a graphics card?

Please reply. Thanks a tons in advance

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
1) Ur processor is good, maybe could increase the RAM and get a decent gfx card which would support directx and opengl at hardware level, onboard is just not sufficient. Maybe a 6800gt or 7800gtx as ur budget permits.

2)Regarding SMPS the sound maybe cause due to the increase of RPM of fan to keep ur system cool, as temp. rises when u play games or render ur scene. It is normal as the fans seems to be temp. regulated.

3) The rendering speed depend on the contents of the scene. Such as object, texture, effects etc. There is nothing such as fast render. One thing u could do is to use batch render ur scene (use more than one pc to render a scene). By the way which software and renderer are u using.

4)By seeing details of ur mobo on the intel site it shows that it has only one pci-e 16x slot, so no SLI on this board.

5) No, upgrade is not necessary at this moment. Better invest in a good gfx card and RAM. If money is not a problem then buy a nvidia Quadro FX 4500. Details regarding quadro fx 4500 see this: *features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3321&page=

These are workstation gfx card and better suited for 3d applications.

Correct me if I have made incorrect comment.

OP
R

rushab143

Broken In
Thank you so much for you quick reply. Ok, so these Quadro cards are only for 3d applications (by the way I use 3ds max and V-Ray and Brazil as my renderers)... so if at all I happen to play a game, the card is not suitable?

These cards(Qaudro4500) are way out of my budget it almost costs 1.2 lacs... no ways God has gfted me with that much wealth.

I guess I'll opt for a Nvidia 6800GT and add a GBof ram.

Ok will these 6800GT cards have HDTV, DVI support? Because I'm looking out for something which is capable of capturing stuff from video cameras also... such IEEE1394 (my motherboard does not have that) and at the same time should give me decent Rendering quality and yes IT SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF PLAYING ALL GAMES smoothly without having to sacrifice on lower resolutions.

Just to give you a more clear picture of what kind of a card I want
-----------------------------------------------------------
(1)Want to transfer video from my SonyHandycam via IEEE1394
I had eaarlier, bought a PCI to IEEE card for around Rs.600, is this the only option I have to transfer video in high quality DV format.

(2)Should be capapble of playing all games under this earth at 1024x768, smoothly.

(3)HDTV support
Is this a socket...something like a USB slot which come along the card where you can plug one end to your HD Camera and the other to the card to capture HD quality video.

(4)Please suggest me card of perfoming the above

My budget is around 40k

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
If the IEEE1394 option that u are using now is working fine then why change it.

If u have a budget of 40K then u can easily go for 7800GT, cost around 25K including tax(check with ur local vendor) and it does support HDTV/DVI and also buy 1GB RAM.

Or better still u could buy 6800gs which cost around 14-15K including tax which would perform equal to or better than 6800gt. You should be able to play games @1024X768 comfortably.

But remember 7800gt performs much better than 6800gs. Both are good card and give u value for money.

Why don't u post some of ur work so that we could see it?
Post it here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

or here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32424&highlight=

G

gxsaurav

u better optimize your sceans if u wanna render with speed, concentrate on the trace depth values, & raytraces shadow option in vray & brazil

vray is slower, itself, so don't expect fast render times, it's just easy to setup

make sure U have SMP enabled in 3D Max, which version do u use?

for a gfx card, i recomend Geforce 7 series, as they support OpenGL 2.0, because of which they can be used for a long time, even if games seize to play on it after 4 years, it will still hold for 3d max, go for 256 MB as minimum, cos your viewport depends compleately on gfx card

which CPU u got, Intel Pentium 820 or 920

kumarmohit

Technomancer
rushab143 said:
System Information
-----------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

First of all if u have a 2 processor setup u need to switch frm WinXP Home to XP pro becoz winxp home does not support Symmetric Multi Processing ie using more than 1 processor at once so with XP home 1 of ur CPU is lying waste

OP
R

rushab143

Broken In
@kumarmohit
----------------
Oh, is that so? Can I just install WinXP pro over WinXp Home and keep all my data intact or should I reinstall a fresh WinXp Pro?. Please suggest.

@gxsaurav
------------
I've got a Intel D Processor 2.8Ghz. with a 1066MHz FSB. I'm using discreet 3ds max 7. I'm not a professional but I've decided to be one.
I din't get by what you said "SMP enabled in 3D Max".

@john_the_ultimate
-----------------------
No brother as I told you it's just an ordinary PCI TO IEEE card, I want something which is of a better quality. Some motherboards have the IEEE1394 socket in them, but unfortunately mine does not. Is there any external device for transfering video from your camcorder to the PC in DV format. If you've ever been to some of the recent Indian weddings or Receptions...the clarity you get when you see the VCD's is icrystal clear, even though they have those old bulky cvideo cameras and record it one tape and then transfer it to a VCD format. I read it somewhere in Digit's January issue that 1 hour of HighQuality DV25 Video takes upto 13GB of space.

If you're still confused what am I talking about please refer to pageNo.132 in January Digit's issue.

@kumarmohit @john_the_ultimate @gxsaurav
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, I wanna confirm again... if I just put in a Gb of RAM and a 7800GT card... is it more than enough? And as "kumarmohit" said... should I really upgrade my WinXP Home to WinXP Pro?... I'm not doubting your knowledge "kumarmohit"... but you know it's hard to reinstall your OS and then again install all of my applications.[/i]

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
SMP (Symmetrical Multi Processing) means 2 or more processor working together in a single system. Enable this option (if available) in max 7 and u will get better performance.

Regarding difference between winxp home and professional read this (the hardware related diference): *arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/xp-versions-1.html

hotdogXP

Broken In
kumarmohit said:
rushab143 said:
System Information
-----------------------

First of all if u have a 2 processor setup u need to switch frm WinXP Home to XP pro becoz winxp home does not support Symmetric Multi Processing ie using more than 1 processor at once so with XP home 1 of ur CPU is lying waste

I also have the same OS, my processor is AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core, Should I also consider chaning my OS to WinXP Pro. I use my PC mainly for gaming and Internet . Does using WinXP Home mean my system is not running in Dual core processor setup...but I do see two graphs display in CPU Usage history in Windows Task Manager?? Plz reply..

kumarmohit

Technomancer
@rushab143
I'd recommend that u upgrade to xp pro (yes its possible) instead of a clean install if u want to keep ur data intact

@ hotdogxp
Yes and for the same reson i gave to rushab143 infact if AMDX2 is a 64 bit proccesor u shud upgrade to WinXP Pro X64 edition MS provides a demo for it too

hotdogXP

Broken In
Ok, ill install WinXP Pro to take advantage of the Dual core Processor support... however I dont want to install the 64Bit WinXP OS as many apps and hardware aient supporting the drivers for WinXP 64bit...so will stick with 32bit and wait for the Longhorn OS when it releases in a retail package

OP
R

rushab143

Broken In
Oh Gosh! Before I end, just wanted to ask you that if at all I'm lucky and I get rid of my current motherboard (Original Intel945GNT)...give me some good options... I don't want to make any mistake now!

I'm not going to change my dual core processor (Intel 2.8Ghz)

WHICH BOARD FOR A INTEL 2.8GHZ PROCESSOR?

And one more thing, is the Nvdia 6800GT in SLI mode better and if yes! - SUGGEST ME A GOOD SLI MOTHERBOARD.

And if 7800GT is better (not in SLI), then suggest me a board for this config.

hotdogXP

Broken In
hi rushab.

I dont know much abt the intel mobos but regarding the graphics card, The 6800GS is available for 14K and 7800GT for 24K.

The 6800GS SLI is slightly ahead in performance but I doubt the performance increase would warrant the cost. I would personally go with a 7800GT over 2 6800GS's as you get Transparency Supersampling AA, and radiosity and all...

Heres an Idea get an SLI mobo and put in one 7800GT card and yu can put in another 7800GT in SLI mode in the future at your convinience.

OP
R

rushab143

Broken In
Great Idea Brother. But you left my question half answered. Which board should I go for for my Intel 2.8 GHZ processor?

Suggest me a good SLI board, which has these nforce4, nforce professional......... I don't know anything abt it.... but I want the board to be the B E S T.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
rushab143 said:
Great Idea Brother. But you left my question half answered. Which board should I go for for my Intel 2.8 GHZ processor?

Suggest me a good SLI board, which has these nforce4, nforce professional......... I don't know anything abt it.... but I want the board to be the B E S T.

See these boards here : *in.asus.com/products3.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=227&slname=NVIDIA® nForce4 SLI Intel® Edition

hotdogXP

Broken In
john_the_ultimate said:
See these boards here : *in.asus.com/products3.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=227&slname=NVIDIA® nForce4 SLI Intel® Edition

If you are going for an SLI board, make sure it has 16x 16x interface speeds in the SLI config like the ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe given in the link by john....

OP
R

rushab143

Broken In
Ok guys, I'll keep your choices too, but it would be appreciated if youcan comment on the Gigabyte GA-G1975X
*www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1791&cid=6&pg=1.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
A good piece of hardware but is it available in INDIA. Haven't found any 975 chipset mobo in the market till yet. See if u could find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom