thermal compound.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilthomas26

In the zone
i got ANTEC thermal grease...........picture is given below....

*s58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/stanzlavos/?action=view&current=100_1985.jpg

there are also a few pics showing the temps from riva tuner......plzz go through them too if required.....

i have 6800gs......it has been having temp issues.......i had posted bout this earlier......so finally i got some thermal compound......

now the prob is applying it........

-only a little
-spread uniformly
-clean the gpu nd heatsink

the cleaning is the prob......how do i actually do it......lint free cloth nd iso propyl alocohol are the suggestions i got.......the cloth part is ok......the alcohol part aint..:).......so is there any other thing i can use to clean the heatsink and the gpu ????

plz help guys.....

Hells_Fury

In the zone
You can use cotton swabs and nail polish remover(acetone). Works very well. Thats what I used anyway.

How much did u pay for the thermal paste and where did u get it from? Also, after applying the paste, pls post the differences in temperature that you notice...

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Avoid using acetone coz its really reactive....Or if you use it Dilute it.. :)

Do the same with your gfx card...
Remove the HSF-
Remove the stock thermal paste
Then apply your paste ...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Better use isopropyl alcohol itself since it is cheap and easily available with any lab supplier.
Cotton swab also is not good since it contains particles that will fill the spaces which are supposed to be filled by the compound thereby reducing thermal conduction.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
"Surf Excel hain na". just kidding.

How To Remove Thermal Paste

When you pry away the heatsink, you may notice a sticky residue on the CPU. This is old heatsink compound. Also referred to as heatsink grease or thermal paste, among other things, heatsink compound is a highly conductive substance that serves as a buffer between the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink. You can remove this residue by scraping the edge of a credit card or razor blade(be careful!)across the processor. Alternatively, you can pour a little rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth and gently scrub the residue away. We also recommend using a vacuum attachment or can of compressed air to eliminate the dust and cobwebs that have accumulated around the processor. Who knows when you’ll get another chance to give the inside of your processor such a good cleaning?

Last edited:
OP
A

anilthomas26

In the zone
thnks guys........did clean it.......used isopropyl alcohol........ well earlier the temp used to go to bout 82....now bout 74.......... so no much of a difference huh ?????.........

well i think it takes some time for the thermal compound to attain its maximum heat transfer ability....so lemme wait.....

anyway...thnks guys....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
From where can we get AS 5 online. In some other forum I happened to read that it is available from some distributer called Prime in Bombay @ Rs.400/- including courier charges. Can somebody post the web link?

Hells_Fury

In the zone
anilthomas26 said:
thnks guys........did clean it.......used isopropyl alcohol........ well earlier the temp used to go to bout 82....now bout 74.......... so no much of a difference huh ?????.........
Hey, an 8 degree reduction in temperature is really significant considering that the only thing you did was apply thermal paste...Just wait a while and the temperatures should reduce even further. The thermal paste takes a while to reach its optimum state.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
janitha said:
From where can we get AS 5 online. In some other forum I happened to read that it is available from some distributer called Prime in Bombay @ Rs.400/- including courier charges. Can somebody post the web link?

Yes! At Prime ABGB ..at Lamington Road...Mumbai.. :)

You can also get it at www.sidewindercomputers.com they ship to India..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom