The world's cheapest car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amizdu

Broken In
No, it's not the Nano, that may be called the "world's cheapest car by a well-known manufacturer". But, here comes Tara Titu (and more variants) priced at Rs. 99,000. It runs on electricity, so even the running costs are low.

But, most of it's parts are manufactured in China. And Tara International, the Indian maker is probably the least known of all automobile companies.

There are both 2 and 4 seaters for 99k.

From rediff.com
Tara Tiny @ Rs 99K is the world's cheapest car!

The Tata Nano is no longer the world's cheapest car! Jostling along with Tata Nano, this July, will be Tara Tiny and Tara Titu. These are zero emission, electric cars and cost only Rs 99,000! And they come from the Tara International stable.

Tara S Ganguly, the company's chairman and chief executive officer, had a big dream. And he set about realising it 'in a small way.' Tara International has teamed up with China's Aucma, a leading player in the electrical vehicles and appliances segment, to manufacture these cars.

At the moment, four variants of electric cars are ready at the Tara International factory at Palta, a few kilometers from Kolkata. These are Tara Tiny, Tara Titu (two-seater and four-seater, respectively), Tara Shuttle, and Tara Carrier. While Tara Tiny and Tara Titu are priced at Rs 99,000 (approximately), Tara Shuttle and Tara Carrier are priced at Rs 500,000 (approximately).

Apart from West Bengal, the company's other production centres are located in Pondicherry and Lucknow.

Source:
*specials.rediff.com/money/2008/mar/17tara1.htm
*www.evfuture.com/products/view/?product_id=80

Collected a few photos of it:
*picasaweb.google.com/amipoal/TaraSElectricCars

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/5402/extrightcx7.th.jpg*img142.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Last edited:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Cool one. Better buy than TATA Nano apart from the reliability factor. No emissions; cheap, just a bit more than a good bike. The future.

Well, if its electric, its got my eyes on it. I HATE old fashioned petroleum based vehicles. They are soo inefficient compared to electric vehicles.

The fact that its 2-seater is indeed upsetting. I was hoping for a cheap 4-seater electric. We already have Reva here, which can be made cheaper by some larger scale production and cuts in taxes since it has NO emissions.

What I now want is some nice cheap Electric Bike which does a decent speed of atleast 50-60. Current ones do only 25, and electric scooters do only 40-50.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Well, if its electric, its got my eyes on it. I HATE old fashioned petroleum based vehicles. They are soo inefficient compared to electric vehicles.
*www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/q/sadsmiley.gif
Captain Obvious*www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/r/mdrbig.gif

What I now want is some nice cheap Electric Bike which does a decent speed of atleast 50-60. Current ones do only 25, and electric scooters do only 40-50.
what are you? 15 year old or 51?

^^Then my question gets repeated - why 2 seater car when bike exists ? :p
^what'll you do in rain???*www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/a0/tongue2.gif

btw, there's been this shortage in "Electricity" (in chennai, dunno about other places), do you think Electric cars can compete against so called petroleum based cars in current scenario?

first go demand the govt. to give proper electricity at home, without irritating power cuts*www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/d/confuse.gif
then the car makers will give proper elec. car.

this new car again proves that, Indians (most) WILL BUY anything thats CHEAP:|, they dont care about Quality.

karnivore

in your face..
^what'll you do in rain???*www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/a0/tongue2.gif
...from my college days I can say this much - nothing gets hotter than a real good downpour (if u know what i mean ;-))

Pat

Beyond Smart
@OP: The article in rediff is dated more than six months back. What prompted you to start a thread today ?

OP
A

amizdu

Broken In
Did you people read the article fully? There are FOUR seaters too!

Tara Tiny - 2seater 99k
Tara Titu - 4 seater 99k (!!!!????)

The 2 seater too will have space for more passengers, but they have no proper seats.
And 2 more costlier models too are available.

@Pat

This was the first time I came to know that such a car and car-maker existed, and I searched all over the forums and found that no one mentioned anything about it. So made a new thread for it. I guess this is much better than starting a thread just for asking some very n00bish question? :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Lol at Tara Titu :p
hahaha...name is so indigenous

Tara Titu:
*www.autoindiaforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/tara-titu.jpg

Tara Shuttle:
*www.autoindiaforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/tara-shuttle.jpg

Last edited:
Status