The Ultimate thread for Windows Mobile users !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Hi all,
I was having a little discussion with desiibond in another thread when I realized that there is no "special" thread for users of Windows Mobile based Smartphones and PDAs, so I decided to start one. To the best of my knowledge, no such threads are existing in Digit forum yet; if I have overlooked any, please let me know, so that I can notify the Mods to merge them.

Windows Mobile is a versatile mobile OS with tremendous amount of special features and an extreme degree of customization capability. It is THE MOST customizable mobile OS out there and easily pwns Symbian in this sole aspect. You can directly modify the OS (except the kernel) and thus create you own customized version of the OS with all your needed tweaks and necessary softwares. The resulting process is known as "ROM cooking" and can be done using software "ROM Kitchen" available for free. :)

Similar to all other Windows products from Microsoft, Windows Mobile is loaded with bloatware and "junk" out-of-the-box (different for different manufacturers and service providers), which tend to make it slow and painful. It is something like using the factory installed Windows XP/Vista, which is there on your newly bought laptop or branded desktops, contains heavy bloatware/unnecessary "junk", which slows the system down and thus needs heavy tweaking and customization to improve its speed and functionality. :)

The largest manufacturer of Win Mo phones is HTC, a Taiwan based company. Also Samsung, Asus, LG, Sony Ericsson also make some phones with Windows Mobile. The latest avatar of Windows Mobile OS is Windows Mobile 6.1 (WM 7 will soon follow-up next year).

In order to make this thread as useful as it can get, I want to assert certain facts and suggestions, which I hope every user will follow up...

1) The main source of knowledge in this thread will heavily rely on information from XDA-developers forum, so I would suggest that you visit their main forum for advanced knowledge about stuff. In this aspect, we are all thankful to the ingenious developers on XDA-devs, who share their hard work for free with the rest of the World and who I think, are the ONLY reason to get a Windows Mobile based phone.

2) Very Important Points:

>>> Flashing custom ROMs and bootloaders nullifies the warranty on the Windows Mobile device. Although you can restore the OEM bootloader and OEM issued ROM to restore your warranty.

>>> Flashing custom ROMs requires a thorough idea and understanding of the procedure. If improperly flashed, they can render a device partially or completely unusable or BRICKED (i.e. must be sent for RMA)

>>> Cooking a ROM requires some degree of advanced knowledge (though the newest cooking tools are very easy to use).

>>> Please read very very carefully and make sure you understand every detail and risk in flashing procedure before you begin to flash your device. I will NOT take any responsibility if you brick your device during flashing.

3) Please DO NOT post anything illegal like warez and illegally hacked software. Please complain if you see someone posting about illegal stuff.

4) There are lot of free utilities and software available to serve your purpose....also there is a wide collection of awesome paid software for Win Mo platform. :)

5) While posting about the device you own, please make sure you provide all its details and the exact procedure of flashing. Please let us know about your experiences with the device before and after flashing, which ROM you are using and related stuff.

[I will post about my At&T Tilt (a.K.a. HTC Kaiser, HTC TyTn II, MDA Vario 3 etc etc) at a later post. I will update this post if anything else comes into my mind, till then please pour in your suggestions and tutorials] :)

Last edited:

oval_man

Journeyman
It's good,we should have a thread like this for all WM users.

A WM guide posted here will be very useful,IMHO.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87010

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
I have a Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone. htc S710. When I go to Start -> Settings -> Windows Update -> Check Now, always I get this error "Connection to update server was not available. Check your data connections settings and ensure the device date and time are correct." I have subscribed to Mobile Office Airtel, and checking email works before and after checking whether Windows Update is working. Date and time are also correct. What should I do?

sohancool

Broken In
I own an HTC Touch with WM 6.0

Using an awesome shell for it , Point UI.

*www.pointui.com/Home.aspx

*xs231.xs.to/xs231/08384/home_01522.jpg

Hope u all find it useful. And to top it off, its free!!

x3060

A LOTR fan
one of the best video players out there is TCPMP:
*picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/

G-Alarm (better than default alarm):
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=422362

S2U2 (Lock device like ipone)
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=412418

PocketCM (Contacts,Keyboard & Calender):
*www.pocketcm.com/

Caller info (Location) -lets you know where the number belongs to:
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=435328

Diamond Opera 9.5:
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=401643

here is manila2d (touchflo 2d):
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398173

manila2d customiser:
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=427392

manila2d skins:
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=425974

.....there you go, some for now

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
This is mine.. samsung i710 ..

read here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99998

its win mo 5.... any idea to upgrade it????

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
*lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/turn-your-windows-mobile-phone-into-an-iphone-269055.php
:)
Whether we admit it or not, we're all at least a little in love with the iPhone. However, a lot fewer of us are $500-in-love with the iPhone. If your clunky old Windows Mobile phone is just sitting around collecting iPhone jealousy dust, you can either scrounge together 500 leafy Sacagaweas, or you can customize your Windows Mobile phone to emulate several of the iPhone's more interesting features, like the iPhone's home screen, flick-scroll contacts, and the fancy slide-to-unlock.

ksundar

Broken In
It is very depressing to see 'closure' of a famous magazine,"Smartphone & Pocket PC" due to lack of support to Windows mobiles.

The mag is getting converted to "iPhone Life". !!!!!!!!!!?????????????

rghai6

Right off the assembly line
I have a Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone. htc S710. When I go to Start -> Settings -> Windows Update -> Check Now, always I get this error "Connection to update server was not available. Check your data connections settings and ensure the device date and time are correct." I have subscribed to Mobile Office Airtel, and checking email works before and after checking whether Windows Update is working. Date and time are also correct. What should I do?

That is because HTC has blocked the update feature for some reason. There was an official ROM update by HTC for the S710 in Jan'08 where I think this feature was enabled (and also an automatic settings creator for GPRS ).

Although I suggest you update to this ROM, it is still WM6. I suggest you browse through
*forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358
and once you have enough know-how of flashing, update you're S710 to WM6.1

BTW I own the same phone, and IMO it rules :)

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
na..

warranty issues.. hellgate said i710 will develop pblm..for a year ineed to use it..after that the experiments...

ruturaj3

Journeyman
I already posted this in another thread, but still posting may be helpful 4 someone,
HTC offering free upgrade to WM 6.1
check out here:
*www.htc.com/in/

Does anyone knows about any custom Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM that works on HTC P3400i (not P3400) and is bug free (i mean superficially at least)?? I tried a lot on XDA forums but it seems that all of those upgrades are for P3400.

And people BEWARE! : Never install a P3400 ROM on P3400i, that will BRICK your device and you will have to opt RMA.

orionindia

TechGeek
I found a htc skin here and a free iphone style media player there, hope u like it
*bestmobilesite.blogspot.com/2008/10/windows-mobile-software-download-zone.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom