The true rating of Doom3, Half-Life, and Halo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charley

Just Do It
Halo 2: No sense of satisfaction while playing, terrible story, requires no skill on-line. The game is utterly geared for starters, newbies.

HL2: Not even close to the original. Hardly any variation in the gameplay, although environments change. Few enemies. Not intense or fun.

Doom 3: Extremely engaging, fresh, and fun. Environment doesnt change much, but the gameplay varies a lot. Many enemies and weapons. Music fits perfectly with environment. Requires a lot of skill and speed to win.

Result:

Doom 3 is by far the best.

What d'yall think abt it. Voice ur opinions..

:D

vysakh

Padawan
i have not played HL2 and Halo2 but i have played Doom3

Though the graphics didnt live upto the hype(atleast as far as my system is concerned) the sound and the gameplay are good. it was goddamn scary and i enjoyed every bit of it. I even fell of the chair when an imp suddenly jumped on me outta nowhere. The story of the game is not thaaaaaaat good but not bad at all

HL2 didnt run on my sys bcoz i dont have enough config. I have played HL1 completely and from that i think HL2 has to be a lot betta than Doom3

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I think saying HL2 doesn't have many enemy is a biased opinion...

HL2 is a great game and enemies come whenever they are required ... and sometimes there are more enemies then you can find in DoomIII like the ravenholm stage...

Sourabh

Laptoping
Ravenholm stage symbolizes hl2 for me to outthrow doom3 in graphics, gameplay, enemies

well everone has its own opinion abt games

i din like doom3 becoz it turns repititive after n hour

gamefreak14

Journeyman
This should've been discussed a long time back....but anyway....You are absolutely off mark on HL2.
achacko@dataone.in said:
HL2: Not even close to the original.
The original? What do you mean? Please elaborate.
achacko@dataone.in said:
Hardly any variation in the gameplay, although environments change.
There were variations galore...Pray...didn't you ever use the gravity gun? And what were you thinking when you played the last level? That was the most interesting, unique and spectacular level I've ever played (with the exception of a couple of levels in Tron 2.0)
The variations were brought about by the gravity gun...never have you ever used a gun to leverage the environment to your advantage. And btw, Hl2 just won 6 Bafta awards.
achacko@dataone.in said:
Few enemies. Not intense or fun.
Now I don't know what to say. You don't count enemies on your finger when you play a game. You go with the flow...It's like watching a movie, if you keep looking at your watch the whole time - it means you aren't enjoying it. And if it's an interesting movie - time .....or the watch is of no concern to you.
achacko@dataone.in said:
Doom 3: Extremely engaging, fresh, and fun. Environment doesnt change much, but the gameplay varies a lot. Many enemies and weapons. Music fits perfectly with environment.
Engaging...Yes, the first 3 levels to be exact. The rest is predictable, to the point of desperation. The gameplay does not vary at all throughout. Its one giant base with a helluva lot of monsters who love switching lights on and off - period. I don't know why they couldn't bring some new aspect into the game - at least one outdoor map (enoonmai's explanations cleared that up). The only reason I kept going was because of the graphics...and I didn't want to miss out on the most hyped game of the year. And after I played through it - all I can say is that it's just an eyecandy jamboree. The revolutionary engine, the hype and the geforce 6800 saved the game.
achacko@dataone.in said:
Requires a lot of skill and speed to win.
Nope...just a shotgun and a soulcube will do.
And most important of all..let me quote before the flames begin.
To each his own

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

those opinions r do damn biased!!!! have u even played HL2 and halo 2????
or r u a doom3 fanboy???? HL2 was definitely the best of the lot....poof is the multiple game of the year awards it has got....doom3 was gr8 graphically and i enjoyed it but only coz nothing beats blowing an imp's head with the shotgun :lol:

halo 2 sucked i agree...but i wouldnt say that it was really easy...it was just too short and seemed more like an expansion pack...

overall, HL2 was definitely THE BEST...and it had so many elements similar 2 the original....i agree with each and every point that gamefreak14 made...man play the game again!!!!

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
Ya in somewher else He posted MAFIA was a wwii fps. Talk about posting just for the heck of it . I think he doesnt play anything *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
gamefreak summed up each and everything that I had wanted to say. For me HL2 is THE best game that I have played till date. And the grav gun has been one of the most innovative and best weapon that I have come across in a while. Although the AI was not as revolutionary or smart as I had expected it to be but then it wasent dumb in any way either. They did put up a hard fight.

Doom 3 got too repetetive after a while, and this will be echoed by many people here. It was scary at first but then it got predictable. And yes, I too played it for expiriencing the next level of gaming.

As for Halo 2, I havent played it yet so I will refrain for commenting. Just for the record though, I found Halo for the PC quite overhuped. No idea whats the experience is on an X-Box.

Serial_Killer

Broken In
ok after a nice post by gamefreak I just want to say ,
I like doom3 more than anything ,i've played hl2 but found boorin cause i am more like shootin than exploring .But hl2 is one hell of a game ,good physics, lot of variation in gameplay ( gravuty gun ,riding vehicles and stuff) ,
and the game looks amazingly real (i really liked the sounds)

I'll pass on halo2 ,Just played for an hour at my frns and it was kinda kewl ,donno how it is on the whole .

For me doom3 Roxxxxx.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
on the scale of 10

Doom3 10/10
HL2 10/10
Halo2 9/10 (9 is because i don't have a xbox :( )

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
guys, i hate playin shooters on consoles coz i miss my keyboard+mouse combo....but other than that, halo2 was strictly ok...it was more or less like halo....grpahics lil better...gameplay slightly changed...but not as good as ppl thought it would b...my friends hate the fact that they spent $50 on halo 2....

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
achacko@dataone.in said:
HL2: Not even close to the original. Hardly any variation in the gameplay, although environments change. Few enemies. Not intense or fun.
:D

*img46.exs.cx/img46/9205/wtf3zd.gif

sourabh said:
Ravenholm stage symbolizes hl2 for me to outthrow doom3 in graphics, gameplay, enemies

well everone has its own opinion abt games

i din like doom3 becoz it turns repititive after n hour

do i need say anything more than what sourabh has said
allrite then we could have those REAL TIME FACIAL EXPRESSIONS
in the very last thingy destroying the portal thingy
the GRAPHICS at that scene are FREAKING FREAKING FREAKING SE*Y
man HL 2 simply RULZZ
i hope you have played it man

about DOOM 3 i simply gave up after somedays
repetetive as ABCD

by far HL2 rulzz
man those tricks hidden puzzles are bl**dy brain teasing
in some MID section of the game
while you drive that boat you need to pull in those barrels to make up a MAKESHIFT bridge
another one tht CRANE
man what more do you want SIMPLY IMMERSIVE
ill say again HL2 RULLZZZZZZ

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Pretty much everything has been said about the game, but I'd like to a little bit of what I think.

When you said Halo 2 requires no skill online, did you think for one second about the asymmetrical CTF maps that are supposed to be so challenging, and when you said that it was geared for n00bs, I take it you are Johnathan Wendell's guru, and if you are, then maybe, just maybe, I will accept what you say.

BTW, one thing has been really nagging me. Where on EARTH did you get to play Halo 2 online? Did you travel just for this to a country that has the XBox Live service? :shock:

HL2 has simply the best gameplay on the planet, period. Whether its using the ZPEFM :)D) to use the environment so you can advance in the game, rip zombies in two with saw blades and toss Combine soldiers into disintegrating energy fields or pushing down washing machines onto lifts to create makeshift ramps, HL2 has the most usable physics engine in any game ever created. All you did in Doom 3 was use explosive barrels.

And compared to the original, WTF, you cant even compare it to the original, the Water Hazard, Highway 17, and the last seven levels, standing on their own, were better than a hundred "Surface Tension" levels from HL strung together. (Honestly, when was the last time you saw squad tactics in a pure FPS?) You're right, its not even close to the original - its a billion, trillion, gazillion times better than it.

True when it comes to monsters, HL does have a lower monster count when compared to Doom 3, almost half the number, not to mention there are no end boss monsters (which was truly weird for HL2, even if it was a prequel to HL3 and just half the story like Matrix Reloaded to Revolutions) but they're still great, not to mention that they have the highest polygon counts ever in a game, for the lucky people with an X800 to have gory fun in "We don't go to Ravenholm..."
No gameplay variation, you say? You move from a civilian to a Messiah, using every possible means of transportation and every means of help possible from human, machine and alien, and use every means of transportation and travel between every setting from an urban city in ruins to dingy canals to extensive waterways to dried up oceanbeds to a warzone to an alien Citadel and have every weapon from a measly crowbar to an ultra-power-boosted GG. What more gameplay do you need?

Like gamefreak said, all that drove me in Doom 3 was the graphics engine, and there was no gameplay to speak of. I just loved getting scared (which was the first ten times or whenever a new monster came up) and mindlessly using the Soul Cube all the way from the second level to the end boss in Nightmare mode. I even used killmonsters in one level because I was so bored. :D I know D3:RoE should change all that, and I hope it will and I especially look forward to using the Hunters' abilities to warp time, etc. for my own exorcism rituals. :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Just returned from watching constantine and here i end up

Oh wow another Doom 3 Fanboy Alert :shock: :shock: :shock:

i hate it when ppl start a thread and leave rest ppl firing up the dicussion and fryin their brains out while the thread starter itself runs away and dosent involve himself in the discussion :evil: :evil:

what the hell's wrong out here havent we compared these games to death now....we got whole buncha discussions going on Which game is the best and then all hell breaks loose....."Oh mommy look i love Doom 3" and "Oh Granpy i love Hl2" oh come on can we just cut the Cr@p and play the game......u like it fine keep it :lol:

well anyways here's my 2 bits for this thread and its starter:

Hl2:Grt Game

Doom 3:Again a great game

Halo 2 : Not played the game and plzz dun even care to ask about the first one.....plzzz in simple words "it sucked"

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
It's true, since even Halo 2 fans have admitted that the game is geared for beginners and newbs.

So if a game is easy, that makes it bad?

Anyways, I'll go ahead and post the "true" rating of Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Halo 2

Half-Life 2 : (95.6% | 96.1%)

Halo 2 : (95.2% | 94.3%)

Doom 3 : (87.9% | 86.9%)

Those are the averages of many reviews, as recorded by GameRankings.com. The number on the left is the average of major publications and websites, the number on the right includes many more.

In the end, it doesn't matter what they think, or what anyone other than the player thinks. It's up to YOU to determine which game you like more.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
My opinion is not biased. It's true, since even Halo 2 fans have admitted that the game is geared for beginners and newbs.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Uh-huh! And where did you play it online and said that online gaming in Halo 2 required no skills? :D

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
OMG ! blasphemy ! Doom3 isnt all that gr8. I'd rate hl2 9/10
I havent played halo 2 so no point in gauging it.

Doom3 deserves arnd 7 or 8 on 10.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
enoonmai said:
Uh-huh! And where did you play it online and said that online gaming in Halo 2 required no skills? :D

dude, I played that in the US some time before .... It really doesnt ....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
achacko@dataone.in said:
dude, I played that in the US some time before .... It really doesnt ....

Right, so you say, on the XBox Live, and pray what gametype did you play? Slayer? Team Slayer? Rockets? Swords? Snipers? Phantoms? Team Phantoms? Elimination? Phantom Elimination? King? Team King? Phantom King? Crazy King? Team Crazy King? Oddball? Rocketball? Swordball? Teamball? Lowball? Fiesta? 2 on 1 Juggernaut? 3 on 1 Juggernaut? Ninjanaut? Phantom Fodder? Drednaut? Multi-flag CTF? CTF-Classic? 1-Flag CTF? 1-Flag CTF Fast? Multi Bomb Assault? Single Bomb Assault? Neutral Bomb? Single Bomb Fast? Blast Resort? 3-plot Territories? Land grab? Gold Rush? Control Issues? Contention? Can you pick one of these and describe how gameplay was on them when "you" played them?

And which map did you play on? Lockout? Ascention? Midship? Ivory Tower? Beaver Creek? Burial Mounds? Colossus? Zanzibar? Coagulation? Headlong? Waterworks? Foundation? How many of these maps you played on? I would really like to discuss Zanzibar with you because I've seen SO much of it on video. Surely you must have played that, its the most favorite Halo 2 MP map ever.

Could you please post some information on your "gameplay" and the "XBox Live" experience and how badly Zanzibar "sucked" and was "geared for n00bs and required no skills"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom