The Oscars (79th Annual Academy Awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)

I am surprised there isn't a thread about this yet (yes, I have checked).

Here is the list of Oscar winners:
ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alan Arkin
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

VISUAL EFFECTS
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

ANIMATED FEATURE
HAPPY FEET

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
WEST BANK STORY

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
THE DANISH POET

COSTUME DESIGN
MARIE ANTOINETTE

MAKEUP
PAN'S LABYRINTH

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jennifer Hudson
DREAMGIRLS

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
THE BLOOD OF YINHZHOU DISTRICT

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

ART DIRECTION
PAN'S LABYRINTH

MUSIC (SCORE)
BABEL

SOUND MIXING
DREAMGIRLS

MUSIC (SONG)
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

SOUND EDITING
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
THE LIVES OF OTHERS

FILM EDITING
THE DEPARTED

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Forest Whitaker
THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

CINEMATOGRAPHY
PAN'S LABYRINTH

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Helen Mirren
THE QUEEN

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
THE DEPARTED

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

DIRECTING
THE DEPARTED

BEST PICTURE
THE DEPARTED
OSCAR.com - 79th Annual Academy Awards - Winners

There are two types of movie buffs out there, those who love most Oscar movies and those who hate movies that make it to the Oscars. I belong to the latter category. Out of all these films, I would only want to watch Happy Feet. And that too because it is an animated feature.

So, guys - what are your reactions to the Oscars?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I don't know about most of the movies on that list.

But, then, 99% of the movies that I watch are made in Mumbai.

hailgautam

Youngling
i saw happy feet and liked it.

missed departed.

never heard of the other. and i am of the first kind. love the oscar winning movies. hate 99% of the desi movies, incl bolly, tolly and molly and all other local woods.

hitman050

Journeyman
I think most of the awards here were spot on. Any of you who hasn't watched The Departed, watch it NOW, its a must, fantastic movie.

runeet

Broken In
departed is an awsome movie, it really eserves the best movie award, martin scorsese always makes damn good movies.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
in the list i have missed only pans labrynyth
will see it asap...and among the nominations i have missed apocalypso...wil see that next week!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! That is some serious dedication.

My sister saw 'The Departed' in USA and told me it was not worth watching.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
hitman050 said:
I think most of the awards here were spot on. Any of you who hasn't watched The Departed, watch it NOW, its a must, fantastic movie.

It is also a fantastic rip off from a Chinese movie.

:rolleyes:

Yes, every movie made in Hollywood is fantastic. They're thrilling, exciting, thought provoking and <insert adjective(s)>.

:rolleyes:

If you hate 99% of the hindi film industry movies, then you are watching the wrong ones.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Indyan said:
Huh?
Dude, do you even know the defination of a rip-off? What RGV and Bhatt camp does is ripping off. What Anu Mail does is ripping off.
The Departed it a licenced adaptation of The Infernal Affairs. Also the director made it sure that he thanked the original movie, while recieving the awards.
There is a difference in being an adaptaion and being a rip off.
It's an adaptaion. So the script it not original. I look at it in the same way as adapting a novel. But, direction is about how the story is told. Not the script.

Yeah, yeah. And who are you to talk about direction? What do you know about cameras in the first place? Are you an authority on direction? Do you even know how to operate a video camera?

A licensed copy is another word for a rip-off. You don't see the Bhatt camp winning awards. They make movies in 1 crore, get 2 crores out of it, and are happy with it. Not even an insane person will call their movies even decent.

How do you tell a 'story' in a different way? It's not the same as adapting from a novel. It has been adapted from another movie, so there is bound to be something common even in the direction.

I'm not saying it is a good movie or a bad movie, hell I don't even care for stupid awards. I still wonder why India sends its movies to such stupid awards. Whom do we want recognition from? What I mean is that a rip-off should NOT win an award.

Black was licensed, too; but weren't the rip-off sharks out in the open when it was released?

What would you know about Hindi movies anyways? You haven't watched the best three hindi movies of all time. It's really sad that you can name all characters of the latest American cheap thrillers, but you can't name three theatre personalities. Then you start talking about acting, direction etc.

Last edited:

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Need Billy Crystal back as the host...no one else does it as good as Billy Crystal. Don't like any movie that made it to oscars this year except HAPPY FEET...it is more than worth a watch. On the whole the year 2006 was a "dry" year for Hollywood with a lot of bummer movies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Indyan said:
And you have directed many award winning films? Care to mention their names?

I don't go around on forums talking about how movies were directed. Unlike you, that is.

I dont like most old hindi movies, and yes I havent watched almost all old great movies.
But, I do watch recent hindi movies.

Further proves that you have no right to comment on Hindi cinema.

Btw, who are you to comment on American tv shows? Have you ever watched them.

Who are you to comment on movies and their qualities such as direction?

Anyway, I know you too well to start a flame war and end up getting a warning. Your judgement as always is clouded by your hatred for anything that is western.

And you have the most neutral judgement? Step down from the non-existent moral high ground.
I'm not a <anything that is western> licker like you are. I like good movies. If you can't debate don't give a lame excuse such as getting warned. Stop acting like a sissy and start acting like a man.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
caleb said:
Need Billy Crystal back as the host...no one else does it as good as Billy Crystal. Don't like any movie that made it to oscars this year except HAPPY FEET...it is more than worth a watch. On the whole the year 2006 was a "dry" year for Hollywood with a lot of bummer movies.
I just searched for 'billy crystal' on IMDB. Last I saw him was in 'When Harry Met Sally'. It was such a shock to see him so old. When Harry Met Sally was a wonderful movie. Meg Ryan does not look nearly as aged as him.

hailgautam

Youngling
mail2and said:
Yeah, yeah. And who are you to talk about direction? What do you know about cameras in the first place? Are you an authority on direction? Do you even know how to operate a video camera?

There is a saying in Oriya, "what if not got married, went to a marriage" meaning it is not necessary to do it yourself, observation is quite sufficient to comment on something.....

a person does not have to have a degree from the film institute to judge a film whether it is good or bad.....

Yes, every movie made in Hollywood is fantastic. They're thrilling, exciting, thought provoking and <insert adjective(s)>.

No I don't agree on that...........you have not seen the crappy, disgusting, boring, stupid, senseless ones <insert adjective(s)> ones over there..... seems you been busy with the hindi movies over here.........

:rolleyes: If you hate 99% of the hindi film industry movies, then you are watching the wrong ones.

Negative again.......

I just watch the 1% good movies and try to avoid the bad ones..:-D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
hailgautam said:
There is a saying in Oriya, "what if not got married, went to a marriage" meaning it is not necessary to do it yourself, observation is quite sufficient to comment on something.....

But, it's an observation, a view, an opinion.

In CA lingo, it's akin to a CPT pass-out going to audit. ;)

37.5% of the statistics are made on the spot.

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
mail2and said:
But, it's an observation, a view, an opinion.

In CA lingo, it's akin to a CPT pass-out going to audit. ;)

37.5% of the statistics are made on the spot.
and 98% of all the statistics are made up

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
hailgautam said:
For your kind information, CPT pass-outs do most of the audit work and the partners sign the accounts based on the work done by them (referring to the new course).

They only do vouching, isn't it? My friend is CA-inter pass out and is the son of a partner of a big 4 firm. He told me that since the pass out in CPT in Mumbai was 87%, the quality of these 12th standard kids is not as good as that of say the ones that passed CA-Foundation or the ones that went to audit after Inter.

If I am not mistaken, most of the audit in big firms is done by grads+CA-inter(until recently). E & Y doesn't accept any CA-inter unless he/she is a grad.

Anyways, we are going off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom