The Official HTC Desire Thread

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Hi All,

I am drooling over this phone for months now and have been waiting for it for ages ......it was suppose to be released in India in Q2 2010, but we have entered mid of Q3 and still no sign of Desire what so ever ... grrrr :x :x.. Has anyone bought this phone anywhere in India, or is anyone waiting for the same ..... need some input on this ......

Regards
Sammy

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I have checked Galaxy S and intensively compared two phone as well ...... (online ofcourse) and the only thing that goes in favour of Galaxy S is its super AMOLED screen, rest everything is tooo good on Desire (though Desire also has AMOLED screen only second to the best), trust me I have seen enough comparision between iphone 4/3GS, Galaxy S and Desire and Desire wins hands down with its speed and interphase ......

@rhitwick I called up HTC india after reading your post and they did confirm the phone launch somewhere in the 2nd week of AUG, which is not that far......I am gonna wait and see for this month ..... else yes the second best it definately Samsung Galaxy S

abhidev

Human Spambot
I have checked Galaxy S and intensively compared two phone as well ...... (online ofcourse) and the only thing that goes in favour of Galaxy S is its super AMOLED screen, rest everything is tooo good on Desire (though Desire also has AMOLED screen only second to the best), trust me I have seen enough comparision between iphone 4/3GS, Galaxy S and Desire and Desire wins hands down with its speed and interphase ......

@rhitwick I called up HTC india after reading your post and they did confirm the phone launch somewhere in the 2nd week of AUG, which is not that far......I am gonna wait and see for this month ..... else yes the second best it definately Samsung Galaxy S

Dude why don't you buy it from ebay...one of my frnd got it already in just 3days...just for 25k.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

Better CPU and much MUCH better GPU on the Galaxy S. Actually, apart from HTC Sense and maybe looks (which are subjective), Desire has nothing else over Galaxy S :)

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Better CPU and much MUCH better GPU on the Galaxy S. Actually, apart from HTC Sense and maybe looks (which are subjective), Desire has nothing else over Galaxy S :)

Better CPU? Both have 1ghz snapdragon processor
better gpu? Who compares gpu, it's not for nfs shift actually. There is no I mean absolute no lag what so ever in any kind of navigation in the phone and that is what counts. And the amount of customization one can do is phenominal on this phone. Mever said galaxy is no good but desire has an edge above.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Dude why don't you buy it from ebay...one of my frnd got it already in just 3days...just for 25k.

I don't like used phones actually, how so ever new they claim. Also 25k is no bargain price, the official launch price is 28 so I might as well wait and get new.

sujoyp

Grand Master
But there r soo many better things in Galaxy S then Desire
Galaxy S ke paas-
bigger & better screen
Newer GPRS/EDGE/HSUPA(3G) technology
Faster Bluetooth3
Better Video recording
Inbuild Divx support
:mrgreen:

Desire ke paas kya hai??:-D:-D

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
But there r soo many better things in Galaxy S then Desire
Galaxy S ke paas-
bigger & better screen
Newer GPRS/EDGE/HSUPA(3G) technology
Faster Bluetooth3
Better Video recording
Inbuild Divx support
:mrgreen:

Desire ke paas kya hai??:-D:-D

Whoa ... why r u sounding so scarcastic ...... i am no HTC fan or samsung hater .... Lets not start Galaxy vs desire battle here .....I had almost decided to buy Galaxy when few thing that are most important to me were clearly better in Desire ...... like few below
better UI, especially widgets support (very important for me)
better general speed of operation (opening apps etc,) even with 8 widgest in all 7 home screens desire was not even skipping a beat while navigation
multicolour LED notification light
hardware keys ... atleast ffor home and back
HTC email app better than Samsungs (again very IMP to me)
better browser with flashlite 4.0
better initial setup (a lot better)

Samsung excel;s in the following ...

better music player, has EQ (I would not use phone for music or may be casual music)
better video capabilities (with Android 2.2 (froyo) we will have 720p recording and divx support in Desire as well)
better video capture and camera (low light conditions that require a flash aside of course) .... not a huge positive for me ...... a decent 5MP camara is sufficient for me which is in desire
TV Out via cable, DLNA ....... worth less ffor me
better for high quality gaming..........wont do much gaming on mobile
Video Calling with ffront camera .... again I do not need video calliing ...

I want a smartphone with powerfull integration between contacts, widgets and phonebook, plus fast UI, no lag whatsoever, super smooth browsing and fast page rendering, and least off all sexy mail support .... desire excels in all of these...

Sources

..... HTC Desire vs iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S | News | TechRadar UK

Comparison of HTC Desire vs. Samsung Galaxy S | CareAce

Few videos to ponder ....

YouTube - ‪Galaxy S vs. Xperia X10 vs. Desire‬‎

1. Notice the bootup time is better ffor HTC .....

2.. during navigating to a place in Google earth notice carefully , when the camara zooms in to the earth, the transition is absolutely smooth ffor desire while in samsung its is a bit jerky ...... rest was more or less same ....

Watch this one aaraam se, it gives an inside picture of Desire UI very very user frendly ...

YouTube - ‪HTC Desire review - part 1 of 2‬‎

YouTube - ‪HTC Desire review - part 2 of 2‬‎

Also check out this discuesstion between the two .... notice how dispite of the fact of better screen samsung have how people rave about the interphase and Sense UI on Desire

*androidforums.com/android-lounge/77535-samsung-galaxy-s-vs-htc-desire.html

Last edited:

kalpik

Better CPU? Both have 1ghz snapdragon processor
better gpu? Who compares gpu, it's not for nfs shift actually. There is no I mean absolute no lag what so ever in any kind of navigation in the phone and that is what counts. And the amount of customization one can do is phenominal on this phone. Mever said galaxy is no good but desire has an edge above.
No one wants to turn this into a Galaxy S vs Desire thread. But I just want you to get your facts straight. The Galaxy S and Desire absolutely DO NOT have the same processor! The Desire has a 65nm based Snapdragon processor. The Galaxy S has a 45nm based Hummingbird processor. You might know that a smaller nm manufacturing process leads to better performance and lower heat production. Also, the Hummingbird processor has support for LPDDR2 RAM, which the Galaxy S has, against the LPDDR1 RAM that Desire has. So overall, there is a LOT of difference between the Desire processor and Galaxy S processor.

Regarding lag in navigation, that's not cause of lower GPU performance. That's cause of poor IO performance because of un-optimized drivers. The later firmware have fixed the lags 98%.. There is a fix out there which completely eliminates the lags too :)

And regarding GPU, the Galaxy S has BY FAR the best GPU on any android phone. It offers PSP-like graphics! Look here: YouTube - ‪Modern Combat- Sandstorm - Galaxy S‬‎

That said, the Desire is an EXCELLENT phone too! Major gripes (for me) are no GPU (makes playing games impossible) and the touchscreen bug.

kalpik

Oops! This thread got closed somehow. I don't remember closing it. So it could be some other MOD. Anyway, must have been a mistake. Opened it again. Apologies for the confusion.

P.S.: Those of you who think I closed this thread purposely, you really don't know me :)

Last edited:
..why would you close the thread purposely ? probable some mod was about to write something..and instead of post it/ he click on post and close :D

Back to the topic :

Galaxy S has better hardware, Desire has better UI (and HTC>Samsung in terms of smart phones as Samsung's own proprietary skin is crap and very ugly. ).

: The Galaxy S having humming bird processor which is better than Desire Snapdragon processor . But , is the differences big enough??

Check this video test

Now, which one has better processor ?

The Sense UI is much much better than TouchWiz . TouchWiz icons and UI really sucks , and it is laggy too...but heard they are improving touchwiz

ADW.Launcher v1.0.1

In most of the terms Samsung Galaxy S wins..but personally I would never go for Samsung coz in terms there support/software is always crap.

All the other threads, like this one gonna get different views which doesn't make sense at all..If you have decided to go for Desire..have patience..else buy this Samsung Galaxy S.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
hehe kalpik...I really don't know u :p
I read your argument in favor of Galaxy S and saw the thread closed I thought you passed a verdict...nice to see the thread opened again. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
I read your argument in favor of Galaxy S and saw the thread closed I thought you passed a verdict...nice to see the thread opened again. :)

:lol:Exactly what I thought...

There r lots of people complaining abt Galaxy S being laggy..lets see when samsung release the new firmware

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer

Exactly!! even I thought the same .... made his judgement and slap closed ...lol .... I even wrote poor Kalpik a "bit" harsh PM about this as well, Accept my Apologies Kalpik........:smile:

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

The Sense UI is much much better than TouchWiz . TouchWiz icons and UI really sucks , and it is laggy too...but heard they are improving touchwiz

ADW.Launcher v1.0.1

In most of the terms Samsung Galaxy S wins..but personally I would never go for Samsung coz in terms there support/software is always crap.

All the other threads, like this one gonna get different views which doesn't make sense at all..If you have decided to go for Desire..have patience..else buy this Samsung Galaxy S.

These are the exact points sinking me away from Galaxy, else as I said I was about to go for this phone. HTC has given a serious thought over UI and brought sense ...... and what ever videos i have seen, desire UI seems much better ..... Also as you said even if Galaxy processor is better its OS/software optimization is not up to the mark, why else would desire show better transition in every UI (example google eatrh) than galaxy .......

kalpik

You know what guys? Now that I think about it, I remember subscribing to this thread, but my subscription wasn't there when I checked.. Lol.. I think I clicked close thread instead of subscribe to thread.. My bad! Extremely sorry for the confusion :sad:

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Ok, on-topic, all of you who are saying that the phone lags and the software isn't optimized are absolutely right (I own the phone, so I know it first hand :p). But later firmwares have improved the situation a LOT! And this SD Card fix ( *forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724251 ) completely removes lags and gives a score of ~1700 on Quadrant Bechmark (which is MUCH higher than the score even Nexus One gets running on Froyo!)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I, as well Kalpik, own Galaxy, and yes it has lags. But there are some temporary fixes too without upgrading ur firmware or rooting.

As Samsung allows upgrading firmware (well in Desire's time everyone told me its not easy changing the firmware) Froyo is just on the doorstep.

About Desire's release date, dude I contacted them twice; first in May'10 and got a reply that it will be launched in June mid week. Then it got delayed.
Again I mailed and got reply that it will be released in Aug end....I could not wait any more and bought Galaxy.

I needed a multimedia phone and Galaxy has all those I need,
Out of box DIVx support, FLAC support and an AWESOME screen.

Top Bottom