the most user friendly distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
ok guyz..i installed mandrake 8 on one of my old pcs & hated it..:D

so which linux distro is most user friendly....like windows :D

it should be easy to configure peripherals like modems..etc & easy installation of softwares( without the use of command lines)

im new to linux...so plz help me out..i've used ubuntu live cd..it was good..& ive heard abt linuxmint being very noob friendly...

ps-i think windows has spoilt me:p

their is one more requirement it should automount the hard discs....or it should be easy to mount my sata hard discs

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You downloaded a very old version of Mandriva. Back then things were ofcourse lagging a lot behind. Linux has developed rapidly since then. Try out any recent distro with a larger community support, as most of them are geared towards making things easier for new users.
There are lots of distros falling in this category- Ubuntu, Mandriva, FC, PCLinuxOS, etc.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Which among these sabayon,PCLinuxOs,DreamLinux or LinuxMint are better for compu having 256/512mb ram??

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
dreamlinux.... and believe me even if it uses xfce, it is as beautiful as ever and the lightest! it plays ur almost all the common audio formats/vcd/dvd etc. out of the box and its based on debian. try it... its really a beautiful distro!

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Sabayon, Ubuntu are the most user-friendly distro's i have used. if u are usig for relatively lighter ones, ubuntu is better, coz Sabayon has high graphics.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
hm... Out of the ones that I have tried, Ubuntu is the most user friendly... But I will go with OpenSuSE 10.2....

Last edited:

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
@infra_red_dude
ok thx i will try dream Linux since i hav only 256mb ,and some of my friends are asking for a linux distro they hav comu having 512ram ,will sabayon and pclinux run fine .or shud i stick with dream linux...which one is easiest.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well i'd say try out dreamlinux in a virtual machine first. its very light and my vote goes for it.

also wid 512mb ram, ubuntu, sabayon will run fine, no probs. installing apps is slightly a different procudure in sabayon as its based on gentoo. u'll hafta install using the emerge command which compiles the package from sources. neither rpm nor deb packages will work. but i must say, it is so refined that its very easy!

secondly, i'd suggest mint, ubuntustudio or ubuntu ultimate for a noob who's bent on using ubuntu as it has almost all the codecs out of the box needed to play most common media formats. this way the noobies dun get a chance to complain that linux doesn't do this or that!

amitava82

MMO Addict
Well if you want to use modem then Ubuntu will be a bit difficult because most dialup modems are not supported by Ubuntu.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

mehulved said:
You downloaded a very old version of Mandriva. Back then things were ofcourse lagging a lot behind. Linux has developed rapidly since then. Try out any recent distro with a larger community support, as most of them are geared towards making things easier for new users.
There are lots of distros falling in this category- Ubuntu, Mandriva, FC, PCLinuxOS, etc.

i installed mandrake 8 cuz i found its old cd..which i recieved free with digit anniversary edition 2002:D

praka123

left this forum longback
^ 5 yrs gone after that.

newbie distros for Windows Movers to Linux- Xandros,freespire,dreamlinux -all uses kde
and Ubuntu called Linux Mint(GNOME and kde versions there)
but U must understand that these distros carrying non-free items are actually may be in risk of some patent suits,legal problems like mp3 have etc.
So try Ubuntu(GNOME),PClinux OS(kde) etc as for a newbie who are in sync with the principles of FOSS.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8 said:
ok guyz..i installed mandrake 8 on one of my old pcs & hated it..:D

so which linux distro is most user friendly....like windows :D

it should be easy to configure peripherals like modems..etc & easy installation of softwares( without the use of command lines)

im new to linux...so plz help me out..i've used ubuntu live cd..it was good..& ive heard abt linuxmint being very noob friendly...

ps-i think windows has spoilt me:p

their is one more requirement it should automount the hard discs....or it should be easy to mount my sata hard discs
guys here r my requirements plz suggest 1 or maybe 2 distros...dont suggest 4-5...& i would luv it if the distro had a beautiful GUI like vista :D but its not necessary....& the distro should be a single cd installation cuz i dont have a dvd writer :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom