THE graphics cards LIST

Status
Not open for further replies.

anidex

Broken In
Every other day, there's a chap out here posting about which graphics card to buy. This has made me, and quite a few others, pretty irritable since people simply don't bother to scroll down the page and get the answers they seek.

So, in an attempt to minimize this, I've made this thread, which I hope the mods will make a sticky. Below is a link to a shader intensive water demo that I wrote in DirectX 9.0c. It basically stresses the video card using a couple of vertex and pixel shaders (at version 2.0) to test the performance of the card. Please download it and run it. Make sure that the settings in the control panel are:

AntiAliasing: OFF
Anisotropic Filtering: OFF
Texture Preference: Highest Quality
MipMap Detail: Highest Quality
Vertical-Sync: OFF (or Application preference)

The demo automatically dumps a screenshot at frame 125. The screenshot contains the frame rates on top that should prevent people from posting fake scores. The screenshot also helps to determine the image quality. Please post this screenshot here along with the specs as follows.

Screenshot:
Graphics Card: (Manufacturer) (Model) (Amount of video memory) eg: ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB
FPS (from screenshot):
Price You Paid:
Current price:

This application is almost completely independent of CPU usage, so system configuration doesn't play a role in the performance. Also, the code has not been optimized for either ATI or nVIDIA (doh, it's DirectX)! This shoudl lead to a fair benchmark. The app requires DirectX 9.0c and a vertex/pixel shader 2.0 compliant (or higher) card. I welcome everyone with such cards, ranging from the GeForce FX 5200 to the Radeon X800 XTPE to post their scores here. People with the second generation DX9 cards like the 6800 and X800 are even more welcome. It would be nice if the Digit folks could test the above cards and post the scores.

Thank You.

*www.angelfire.com/trek/startrekindia/Water.zip

OP
A

anidex

Broken In
To start off, here's the benchmark from my system.

Screenshot:
*img50.exs.cx/img50/4629/Screenshot25.th.jpg
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB
FPS (from screenshot): 56.23
Price I Paid: Rs.15,000
Current price: Rs.9,000

JAK

What the Heck !
blade_runner said:
the links not working dude !

Code:
This page is currently unavailable 

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Ditto... :wink:

G

gxsaurav

Good, if this is so, then I will also post my OpenGL sahder's here to test

Oh! wait, the minimum size is 48 MB, as it is really high quality nature scene

OP
A

anidex

Broken In
Sorry about that, geocities has some problems. So, I've corrected it with a new link. Don't click on it, just RIGHT CLICK and select "Save Target As...".

gxsaurav, why don't you scale down the scene and texture sizes (which I'm sure are what are taking up most of the 48MB) and post them. It'll be very beneficial to a survey of this type. Then, users can benchmark both DirectX and OpenGL performances of their cards.

DKant

In the zone
Hmm..more "I'm buying a graphics card" threads. Why don't the mods make this a sticky, so new threads on graphics cards aren't started just bcoz the people concerned didn't look all over the page hard enough?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
plz post the screenshots as clickable thumbnails !

Screenshot:
*img36.exs.cx/img36/6620/Screenshot71.th.jpg

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200 128Mb
FPS (from screenshot): 8.93
Price I Paid: Rs.4,000.
Current price: Rs.3,800.

G

gxsaurav

anidex said:
Sorry about that, geocities has some problems. So, I've corrected it with a new link. Don't click on it, just RIGHT CLICK and select "Save Target As...".

gxsaurav, why don't you scale down the scene and texture sizes (which I'm sure are what are taking up most of the 48MB) and post them. It'll be very beneficial to a survey of this type. Then, users can benchmark both DirectX and OpenGL performances of their cards.

but downsampling, only lowers the files size when compressed with UHARC to 20 MB, the real file size extracted are over 80 MB

Also downsampling lowers the image wuality, not good

Don't worry, I m writting one from scratch, just for benchmarking

OP
A

anidex

Broken In
C'mon guys, post your benchmark scores.

gxsaurav, why don't you use DXT compression. Should bring down your texture sizes by atleast 4 times, if not more? Would be much easier than re-writing the whole thing again.

G

gxsaurav

I m not rewritting the whole thing again, I m writing a tottely different thing, the current one I have is based on OpenGL 1.4 ARB codepath, the new one I m making in OpenGL 2.0

They are already DXTC, they use compression for the textures for the scene at the front of player & everything before that particular frame is fiushed from the memory

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Anidex why dont u post a clickable thumbnail of the image, so that page loads better. Goto www.imageshack.us and upload ur image, u will get a code generated automatically for the clickable thumbnail.

Also guys u need to install DX9.0c to be able to run this thing. So better create a restore point in case anything goes wrong. Btw i got 9.08Fps with the Omega drivers.........

JAK

What the Heck !
Hmm...

Ok here is mine... :wink:

*img80.exs.cx/img80/8444/Screenshot0.th.jpg

Details
9.18fps @ 1024x768
MSI GeForce FX 5200 :128MB

G

gxsaurav

1st, I don't have Dx9c & this crashes on DX 9b, I m waiting for digit to get in my hand so that I can install SP2 with DX 9c

Those of U who want to see the Supported OpenGL extensions can download GLView from here. This will only show the current OpenGL extensions supported by your card & Drivers

Note NVIDIA 61.77 has no support of OpenGL 2.0, only 66.00 beta or later drivers support OepnGl 2.0

JAK

What the Heck !
gxsaurav said:
1st, I don't have Dx9c & this crashes on DX 9b, I m waiting for digit to get in my hand so that I can install SP2 with DX 9c

Those of U who want to see the Supported OpenGL extensions can download GLView from here. This will only show the current OpenGL extensions supported by your card & Drivers

Note NVIDIA 61.77 has no support of OpenGL 2.0, only 66.00 beta or later drivers support OepnGl 2.0

hey i am waitin for ur scores..u hav a 9800xt right... :wink:

G

gxsaurav

Ya JAK, Gigabyte FX5900XT, If U are already eager for my benchmarks results U can check my posts in general section, I have posted scores of Aquamark, & UT along with Doom3

Hey Anidex, just to not create confusion, which drivers U want to me test it with 61.77 or 65.73, I m rite now usinh 65.73 & Doom3 performance is about the same but the quality is highly incresed even in Mediaum Quality, Although I m playing at my settings while at Mediaum settings it use 1X anis tropic filtering, so I Edited the Doomconfig.cfg to use 2x anis & 2x aa

My Settings, 1024X768 85 Hz, V-Sync on, 2XQ AA & 2X Anis, at this I GET Quality compared to 1280X1024, never required to go any further, although I go if even at these settings the quality is bad

G

gxsaurav

Ok, I just installed Windows from scratch, with XP SP2 slipstreamed, I haven't configured it much, I m using the 61.77 Drivers & everything in driver panel is set to the default of Quality, the usual things were running in the background like, NAV2004, Window Blinds etc, I just clicked the water.exe & it started running by itself. Rite now I have done no Gaming Optimisation to my PC for as much raw performance as possible

The screenshot made at 125 Frames was 3 MB in size, a bmp file, I compressed it to jpg, the quality is decresed due to that,

Image 150 KB
*img25.exs.cx/img25/4219/test30.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom