The Future Of Security Suites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
as we all know, these days having just an firewall or an anti-virus or an anti-spy does not suffice, what with the amount of internet thrash going around. and i m refering to to tons of virus, spyware, trojans, worms, rootkits, and what not, breeding on the net...not to mention the unwanted intrusions & phishing ! it is said there are at least 200 to 300 new variants a day !

with this, the days of defination based defense may be numbered. yes, signature-based malware scanning is declining in effectiveness ! but still, at this point only a few of today's security suites include "BEHAVIOUR-BASED" protection !

presently, only ZoneAlarm and Panda TruPrevent have behavior-based solutions that block malware by its bad behavior. just on the basis of this strength, panda blocks up to 90 percent and zass up to 70 percent of network and e-mail worms ! (behavior-based protection is difrnt from heuristics; a technique that looks for suspicious patterns in executable code)

most of the other companies like symantec, mcafee, f-secure, trend micro plan to include such behavior-based solutions in their software as well, in 2-3 months, as soon as the new 2007 editions come out.

yesir ! the future (for home users atleast) is towards internet defense suites. most companies have realised that and are therefore inevitably concentrating more and more on such integrated suites to meet this demand.

zonealarm security suite, norton, mcafee, panda, pc-clin-trendmicro, kaspersky internet suite, are some of the better suites.

but then...no suite is perfect ! for example, in case of zass, the firewall is top-class, but the virus detection is rather poor, (zone labs says that it is working with CA to improve its product's detection of malware)

on the other hand in kasperskys internet suite, the av is top class, but its firewall/anti-hacker is considered rather poor.

-----------------------------------
so whats my dream suite ?

well one that has a zonealarm firewall, panda tru-prevent beaviour-blocking, kasperky antivirus defns, nod32 heuristics, spywaredoctor anti-spy, za/mf anti-spam, cybersitter parental control AND having the light footprint of the kis !!!

but then, i suppose, it will always remain a dream. :)
------------------------------------

sourced and compiled from the foll 2 links; along with my observations :
*www.pcworld.com/article/id,125817-page,1-c,securitysoftware/article.html *www.windowssecrets.com/comp/060810/d

Last edited:

EagerBeaver

Journeyman
Very deep information. Should I remove mine antivirus avast, and put some Security Suite ??? Ples suggest which security suite.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Security Suites soft are made by humans and errors are human. besides Security soft are just a piece of code.none of the soft till date have full proof detection, that we must agree to.

so whatever the protection they offer it is still cat & mouse chase game!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
"Outgoing Gartner analyst Amrit Williams is leaving with a bang, boldly declaring that stand-alone, signature-based anti-virus is dead.

Williams, who is giving up his analyst hat and joining BigFix as chief technical officer (that's triggered a whole different debate), also argues that the stand-alone anti-spyware market is kaput too, "If it even existed!"

In a blog entry that will surely raise hackles in some quarters, Williams argues that signature-based AV isn't protecting anyone anymore and certainly wasn't providing any protection against spyware, rootkits and the other nastier threats..." :evil:

So what happens next? Williams predicts:

"Well AV becomes part of a converged security client, offering multiple capabilities including anti-spyware, personal firewall, and intrusion prevention as the foundation. Of course this has already begun...By the end of 2007 stand-alone AV will be dead, d-e-a-d, dead!"

His views can be read at securitywatch in detail !

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
an update :

"Today's antivirus model is broken, largely because it seeks to block known malware without any way of anticipating the nature of the next attack. This blacklisting approach hit a rough stretch last year as attackers developed faster, automated ways of launching variations of malware that eluded unsuspecting defenses.

As a consequence, a newer "white listing" approach has emerged that acts like a nightclub bouncer working from a guest list. If you're not on the list, you're not getting in. No heuristic can block all of the variants...

Microsoft*i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/cxp.gif is impressed with SecureWave's work in this field. On Monday, the software giant gave Sanctuary 4 its stamp of approval by listing it in the Windows Embedded for Point-of-Service catalog..."

*www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901081&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom