The definitive Xbox discussion thread | Don't troll

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Microsoft to allow indie self-publishing on Xbox One

Microsoft is all set for next gen gaming and seems to be following Sony's footsteps. After PS4, Xbox-one will also allow indie developers to self publish their titles.
This is indeed great news in indie development space.

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Microsoft to allow indie self-publishing on Xbox One

Microsoft is all set for nect gen gaming and seems to be following Sony's footsteps. After PS4, Xbox-one will also allow indie developers to self publish their titles.
This is indeed great news in indie development space.

What else can MS do other than following the standards set by Ps4?? Another triumph for Sony..

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
How Xbox One's operating systems work - why splitting the RAM is good for developers and gamers

A nice informative article. :)

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Xbox One Kinect U-Turn is a mistake too far for Microsoft

Overnight, Microsoft revealed that the Xbox One will function just fine even if the new Kinect is unplugged from the console, a dramatic change of policy from the always-connected console announced earlier this year.

Microsoft seems to be losing the integrity of their decisions.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Microsoft Xbox One sales top 1 million within 24 hours

Microsoft sells over 1 million Xbox One in less than a day

Microsoft sells over a million Xbox Ones in 24 hours

Wow. Microsoft has also nailed it with xbox one.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
UK Xbox One sales just shy of Wii U's lifetime total, report claims

This console is undoubtedly doing well. Both next-gen consoles are selling well above expectations as of now.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Overall, I've noticed a few key graphical differences between the XO and the PS4 based on what those youtube videos show. Some of these could differ when looked at face to face, but most of the things remain the same irrespective of the quality of the youtube video.

XO relies a lot more on global illumination than the PS4
The colour space of the XO and the PS4 seem to be slightly different, based on the fact that the Xbox has higher colour saturation (this could be a result of HDMI colour correction and gamma differences)
Polycount between the two is same in all games I've seen.
Texture filtering seems to be all over the place, with some games doing better on PS4, others on Xbox
Texture quality seems to be equal or slightly better on PS4. So does antialiasing, although the AA method seems to make the textures more fuzzy on the PS4. This means that the Xbox textures actually appear more defined than the PS4 ones.
Shadows appear slightly softer on the PS4 vs the Xbox (this could be a D3D/OGL difference)
Water reflections seem to be equal or slightly better on the PS4 depending on the game. In AC4 the D3D render path treats water like a mirror at certain angles, while the PS4 OGL render path more accurately takes into account smaller movements.
PS4 seems to have a slightly higher draw distance depending on the game.

Also, Battlefield 4 seems to have a poor framerate on both consoles. Can anyone confirm this?

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Also, Battlefield 4 seems to have a poor framerate on both consoles. Can anyone confirm this?

No, battlefield 4 has no issue on either consoles. It runs super smooth at 60fps.

Battlefield 4: Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4 Frame-Rate Tests - YouTube

Video of Battlefield 4 running on PS4 at 60 fps

Battlefield 4 PS4 vs Xbox One video comparison

Xbox one runs at 720p whereas PS4 version runs in 900p. Both churn constant 60fps though.

Call of duty ghosts had some framerate issues in the PS4 version, although it ran at 1080p (ps4 only, 720p on XOne).
There were certain media reports. They seem to have been ironed out by a patch released by Activison.

Call of Duty: Ghosts’ PS4 frame rate issues and 1080 patch details clarified

Here's a more detailed analysis. COD ghosts had an underwhelming launch because of these issues.

*www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-whats-fixed-and-whats-not-in-the-cod-ghosts-ps4-patch

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
No, battlefield 4 has no issue on either consoles. It runs super smooth at 60fps.

The video I saw must have been recorded at a terrible framerate.

Battlefield 4: Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4 Frame-Rate Tests - YouTube

Video of Battlefield 4 running on PS4 at 60 fps

Battlefield 4 PS4 vs Xbox One video comparison

Xbox one runs at 720p whereas PS4 version runs in 900p. Both churn constant 60fps though.

You know that's a lie. Both consoles only run 60FPS in low-resource use situations. As soon as combat starts, both the PS4 and XO get framerate drops, with the XO being the worst offender.

What's good is that the PS4 even with the higher resolution continues to remain a little faster than the XO in this game and low intensity combat usually stays above 48FPS in both consoles.

Call of duty ghosts had some framerate issues in the PS4 version, although it ran at 1080p (ps4 only, 720p on XOne).
There were certain media reports. They seem to have been ironed out by a patch released by Activison.

Call of Duty: Ghosts’ PS4 frame rate issues and 1080 patch details clarified

Here's a more detailed analysis. COD ghosts had an underwhelming launch because of these issues.

Does the Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 patch fix everything? • Articles • Eurogamer.net

Hadn't heard about this one. Not that I'd have checked it out because it has COD plastered all over it.

Anyway, it seems that the BF4 video I'd seen having poor framerates was also from Digital Foundry. So it's them doing some hara kiri to their videos.

The horrible texture filtering and excessive texture fuzziness due to AA on the PS4 version for all the games I've seen is really making me cringe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom