The Debian thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hi!

I've moved to Debian Testing from Ubuntu Hardy. Linking Debian so far! A few things i havent been able to figure out. Im not able to get GVFS to work with nautilus and also the international clock applet is not there. I've set up apt pinning and got Iceweasel 3b5 from the experimental repos. Any more tips and tricks you people would like to share? Im specially looking forward to tips from Prakash :)

Thanks!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: The Debian Testing thread

count me in, am on debian lenny :D
i ditched ubuntu, cuz it was a bloatware in comparision

I hv setup gnome-core and a few basic softwares

praka123

left this forum longback

aaha!gr8!
@kalpik:gnome-panel-2.22 is in experimental repo only.wait for it to hit sid repo.
gvfs+nautilus-what problems do you face?Isnt the mounts showing up in left pane?

check for the nautilus version.sid doesnot necessarily contains full gnome-2.22 .I used to use packages from experimental repo until I experienced with this xcb thing they are trial running(replacement for xlibs).

if u have experimental repo in apt(pinning),u can install upstart instead of sysvinit(I am using that).

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Im using Lenny, not sid :D Ok, so the full of gnome 2.22 is not in lenny, got it :)

And what are the advantages of upstart over sysvinit?

One more thing, would you suggest i use Sid instead of Lenny?

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

One more thing, would you suggest i use Sid instead of Lenny?
Not if you don't like to troubleshoot alot. I was told that problems are much more frequent in Sid and that you are not supposed to install it unless you know what you are doing.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Most people suggest stable > unstable > testing as if testing has some problem, it may take days to fix, whereas its fixed very fast in unstable.

praka123

left this forum longback

No,Sid is not a rocket science kind of stuff :D
Lenny is though better for Desktop user.
with Sid,I will occassionally have to force some packages(dpkg --force-x options) to install esp overwrites etc.
with Sid,daily updates is around 30 MB these days :D ,you may have to run cron jobs at Happy hours(2-8AM) for installing these updates,else ur bw limit will exceed :lol:

Still,am happy with Sid,I occassionally submit Bug reports,it is feeling good inside the "system"(Debian).

@kalpik:Upstart -I thought u know Ubuntu uses it and may be Debian too will replace sysVinit for upstart.only problem is upstart author wants to incorporae HAL features into upstart,thus by removing HAL out of Gnome system(which obviously Gnome devels will not approve!).
as of now,Upstart hardly uses its benefits due to running in sysvinit compatible.
do support this!
*brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/35/

-advantages of upstart :-
*upstart.ubuntu.com/

praka123

left this forum longback

OK.I installed gnome-panel-2.22 from experimental repo.seems OK.no other deps. :) u may try.that weather applet is really useful! :D
*img5.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1684/1684555da29ea619bb10ab76300534b68c6830b.jpg

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Thanks! But i think i should wait for it to come into sid :D

Oh BTW, i dist-upgraded to sid :)

Just one problem, im not getting the boot splash on sid. Was getting it in lenny after following this, but its not working in sid :(

P.S. Im using usplash.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^y are u making lenny as ubuntu, if u need eye candy then there are other distros (ubuntu or mint).

Keep it simple, i even havent installed gdm, and using a command line audio player (takes only 843KB memory :D) when am in mood of listening music only and now trying to shift to command line softwares as much as possible.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,splashy is enough?.usplash,I havent tried recently.do install startupmanager;it will be helpful.

Sid will be Royal PITA with daily updates :D .better stick with lenny and install needed packages from unstable and experimental repos.(using apt-get -t experimental install foo).

and apt-get gnome-panel doesnot have any major dep problem.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

^^y are u making lenny as ubuntu, if u need eye candy then there are other distros (ubuntu or mint).

Keep it simple, i even havent installed gdm, and using a command line audio player (takes only 843KB memory :D) when am in mood of listening music only and now trying to shift to command line softwares as much as possible.
I mostly shifted to debian for the rolling release part.

well,splashy is enough?.usplash,I havent tried recently.do install startupmanager;it will be helpful.

Sid will be Royal PITA with daily updates :D .better stick with lenny and install needed packages from unstable and experimental repos.(using apt-get -t experimental install foo).

and apt-get gnome-panel doesnot have any major dep problem.
Hmm.. Too late, i've already dist-upgraded to sid :p Will switch back to testing.. And wait for it to catch up :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom