Status
Not open for further replies.

anna_don

Broken In
I just wanted to know if cluttering the C: drive really slows a system down? Can anyone give me a reason...

Secondly...the default "My Documents" location is somethin like

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents

Is there anyway i can make this point to a location on another drive..say somethin like...

D:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents

Zanks!!!!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes, its better not to clutter your C:\ drive (system drive) Because all your windows files reside on this partition. Also the pagefile is kept on this partition (by default) which keeps on expanding and contracting (again, by default). So if u have un necessary clutter on this drive, the pagefile becomes fragmented, which leads to slowdown...

To change My Documents location, right click My Documents on the desktop, select properties, then on the target tab, you can change the location by using the move button.

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
kalpik said:
Yes, its better not to clutter your C:\ drive (system drive) Because all your windows files reside on this partition. Also the pagefile is kept on this partition (by default) which keeps on expanding and contracting (again, by default). So if u have un necessary clutter on this drive, the pagefile becomes fragmented, which leads to slowdown...

Yeah...he's dead right! It's always a great idea to change the drive on which the pagefile is assigned! Also, try to keep it as early on the drive as possible so that sys takes lesser time to access this crucial portion of the hard drive!!

AND, defragment the whole Hard drive or not, but DO defragment the C:\ drive REGULARLY!! Same with DiskCheck!
Also, try to Full ScanDisk the Drives!! Not too often but regularly. This'll will it error free!!

I think you would have known the second part... but still I thought i shud tell!!

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
to stop pagefile fragmentations and keep enough space for contiguois allocation of newer installed applications' files.

Use Boot time defragmentation on C:\ it makes a great difference

Kniwor

Learner
Techie_Geek said:
to stop pagefile fragmentations and keep enough space for contiguois allocation of newer installed applications' files.

Use Boot time defragmentation on C:\ it makes a great difference
hey friend
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=312312#312312

TechGuru#1

In the zone
As in similar view 2 keep the C drive practically empty at BESt,i have kept the size of C drive at 10Gb.
Now IS THIS SUFICIENT for the page files,temp files,program files,system files,dll's etc.
I dont want 2 install anything/any apps etc on this C drive!
So is my approach CORRECT?

Kniwor

Learner
TechGuru#1 said:
As in similar view 2 keep the C drive practically empty at BESt,i have kept the size of C drive at 10Gb.
Now IS THIS SUFICIENT for the page files,temp files,program files,system files,dll's etc.
I dont want 2 install anything/any apps etc on this C drive!
So is my approach CORRECT?

i make c:\ 10 Gb too, just because i dont mind 10Gb on my 250Gb HDD.

though i install all common apps in c:\

so u are fine as long as u dont install anything like Far Cry, Doom3, or San Andreas on ur c:\ drive...... i hope u get the point...

inspite of all this i always change my temporary variable in other drives to avoid problems

Kniwor

Learner
TechGuru#1 said:
So,THAT's the WAY!

yeah, i never face any space problems,
to be more specific, u might want to change the temporary folder of nero vision, because sometimes u might want to encode large video files and c:\ might not be enough.

i also change the temporary folder of Internet Download Manager because i do large downloads at times.

most ofted the c:\ drive is eaten up by these temporary folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom