The "Blue Screen Of Death".

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
The "Blue Screen Of Death".

users of windows system r sure to have experienced, at one point or another, the terrors of “The Fatal Exception”, commonly called the "Blue Screen Of Death", or BSOD.

when windows encounters a condition that compromises safe system operation (i.e.,a “bug”), the system halts. this condition is called a bug check. its also commonly referred to as a system crash, a kernel error, a system fault, or a Stop error.

in general, there are not too many options for any type of recovery. normally, one tries to just "reboot" the pc in the hope :? that the BSOD occurred because of a rare condition of some driver which was overlooked in coding and testing. but if the BSOD persists, there are some tactics that may be employed to repair the system there are over 250 "documented" BSOD codes.

take this example, for instance; the most common bsod is :

Bugcode 0xA - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This is a fairly common BSOD that occurs when a driver has illegally accessed a memory location while NT is operating at a specific IRQL. This is a driver coding error, akin to trying to access an invalid memory location.
Parameters:
1 - memory location that was referenced
2 - IRQL at time of reference
3 - 0 == read, 1 == write
4 - code addressed which referenced memory
Recovery/Workaround:
There is none. This is a fatal error and is a driver coding error.

usually when a bsod occurs, it stays for a second b4 the pc imdtly restarts. this way we r unable to read what is written. to get around it, one has to disable the auto pc restart option as follows : rt click mycomp>proprerties>advanced>startup&systemrecovery>settings>unclick
automatically restart. knowing the error code, can help identify the problem/solution.

:arrow: u can download The Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) Primer from
*www.sun.com/desktop/products/sunpci/bsod.pdf
it opens as a pdf file in ur browser. click on 'save a copy' to save it.

in a lighter vein, u can also download the BSOD screensaver from
*www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/BlueScreen.html

to create ur own BSOD check here
*articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5710338.html

rajas

In the zone
Nice article.

one important thing is that..system does start to windows in any mode when you get the error 0xA - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Most of the time you end up in reinstall.

nikhilrao

Journeyman
I am trying out ZA Internet Suite and am getting BSOD almost 2-3 times :shock: in a day. What to do ? But nice info. Thanks. :)

executioner

Journeyman
what does BAD_POOL_CALL(or something but it had bad pool) mean??It came while upgrading win 2000 to win xp sp2 (i first gave the option to download new setup files.when it was taking too much time i closed the installation by task manager and started it again without downloading the setup files .it was going ok for a while but then this showed up.)

hey executioner if you are talking about BAD_POOL_HEADER Error

here is the link for it
*www.tweaksforgeeks.com/BAD_POOL_HEADER.html

ruthless

Lin Win Mac
Well I see that Driver _IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error sometimes when I try to connect to the net.
Is there any way to get around this erroR?:confused:

BTW cool post

niku_19jan

Broken In
ruthless said:
Well I see that Driver _IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error sometimes when I try to connect to the net.
Is there any way to get around this erroR?:confused:

BTW cool post

i get this same error whn i tried to play nfs most wanted, this error comes whn u hav installed some driver which is not compaitble so check it n reinstall the driver or roll back it.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
this one usually involves faulty device drivers and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is the most common BSOD a driver can do.

this is a very good link which gives solutions to most bsod's.
hope it helps you ! *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/auskosten.gif
click *aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

pra_2006

A S S E M B L E
hi i have also this problem i have windows XP Sp2 whenever i run Pinnacle PCTV and windows mediaplayer 11 my computer shows blue screen and say the computer is restated anyone have solution pls reply me

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
pra_2006 said:
hi i have also this problem i have windows XP Sp2 whenever i run Pinnacle PCTV and windows mediaplayer 11 my computer shows blue screen and say the computer is restated anyone have solution pls reply me

do this first - disable the auto pc restart option as follows :
rt click mycomp>proprerties>advanced>startup&systemrecovery >settings>unclick automatically restart.
then read the contents, note the code and c if the primer or aumha link helps u.

ketanbodas

Journeyman
Help Pls, these days, since yesterday, I am getting this
No-More-IRP-Stack-Location
error. What to do :-( I get it almost 4 times a day.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
now get ur bsod analysed online :

Microsoft® Online Crash Analysis *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/wrysmiley.gif

Microsoft® is committed to making Windows the most reliable operating system available. New and enhanced features contribute to increased reliability, and additional resources, including Microsoft Online Crash Analysis (MOCA), provide information to help you optimize your system.

How it works : If you experience a blue screen crash event, or Stop error, while using Microsoft Windows XP, you can upload the error report to our site for analysis.

What to expect :Microsoft actively analyzes all error reports and prioritizes them based on the number of customers affected by the Stop error covered in the error report. We will try to determine the cause of the Stop error you submit...

go here if u keep getting the "wonderful" bsod regularly :D
*oca.microsoft.com/en/Welcome.aspx

========================================================

this useful link also lists most bsod's and then links to their solutions.*www.all-windows.com/win_exception.html

blackpearl

The Devil
Its a little off topic but I would like to mention it here anyway. How many of you have kept disabled the service "Send error report"? That is the first thing I do, along several others after every Windows reinstall. But shouldn't we be really sending those error reports to Microsoft and help them to develop a bug free OS? Driver errors, system crashes and BSODs could be reduced if we cooperate with them, IMO.

Having said that, the mentioned service is still disabled on my system *www.nearlygood.com/smilies/yucky.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom