The bet is on! Ubuntu vs. Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
This guy has a bet with a friend. This is the deal: He has to use Ubuntu for 30 days. IF there is anything he can’t do on Ubuntu (except for games which his friend reluctantly conceded is Microsoft turf) that he can do on Vista, then he gets a brand new laptop courtesy of his buddy. IF on the other hand, he loses, he has to pay for his new laptop.

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589243

I've read through the first 95 pages, and this dude has been VERY patient and understanding with ubuntu! I really appreciate that! From what i've read, i think he's gonna loose :D

praka123

left this forum longback
professor fate said:
4. If I can demonstrate that Ubuntu isn’t neck to neck with Microsoft in anyway, I win.
thats where his loss is a win for linux users :p

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Heh.. Guys, i think its better if we leave the bet for those 2 people to handle. I posted this here as an FYI thread, not an FYA thread :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Tell him to play WMA & WMA files on Ubuntu or use a Pinnacle or any other TV Tuner on Linux or play HD DVD & he will loose :D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ unprotected WMA and WMV does play on linux .. HD DVD .. um.. do you want prakash to start his DRM ? :confused: .. and USB Tuner ... hell yea... it doesnot work ...atleast with mine :p

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
HD DVD hmmm.. yes. But I don't think its fair to say that his TV Tuner doesn't work in Linux. A fair bet should haf hardware which is either supported well in both the OS or not use the hardware at all.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

gx_saurav said:
Tell him to play WMA & WMA files on Ubuntu or use a Pinnacle or any other TV Tuner on Linux or play HD DVD & he will loose :D
I\'m not going to be a real dick about this. Like, I\'m not going to say, \"Ubuntu doesn\'t have the same font I like, so you lose\". But I do have to be able to do whatever I do with Vista.
I have some medical software that I can say with certainty would not run on any Linux OS. But that would be a real dickish move on my part to do that. That's not the purpose of the bet as I see it. I'm just doing every day tasks.
So it seems at least some people have some sense of ethics and understanding.. I request you to go through that thread once..

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Yes! That's what i mentioned in the first post itself! The guy wants to give a very fair chance to Ubuntu! Look at all the trouble he went through to get sound working! I mean even i would have given up if i faced such an issue!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I forgot to say that my tuner is vista certified and it doesnot work with vista MCE :mad: .. I have to admit that I tried to use that only on Sabayon live CD .. so I havent tried to find the solution :oops:

praka123

left this forum longback
the thread was locked already @ubuntuforums.digging and linking flooded the forum!now that guy will be blogging his experience :D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yes! That's what i mentioned in the first post itself! The guy wants to give a very fair chance to Ubuntu! Look at all the trouble he went through to get sound working! I mean even i would have given up if i faced such an issue!

No fair I did the same things too! :D . Im only stuck with one more issue which I havent really tried to get to work on Ubuntu.

Tell him to play WMA & WMA files on Ubuntu or use a Pinnacle or any other TV Tuner on Linux or play HD DVD & he will loose

Actually I recall that yuo can play WMA files on Ubuntu. Furthermore Pinnacle TV Tuner cards work on Ubuntu (at least most of them, the USB ones are a pain but I think the rest would work even if they are using a Philips 713x chipset) . As for HD DVD it works in Feisty Fawn so my guess would be naturally that it would work in Gutsy.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
drmed wma/v files cant play straight on Linux

I'm sorry but wouldn't that be illegal if Linux could play wma/v files directly out of the box? I'm still understanding the ideology behind including in placing wma files in the restricted format list etc.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I was not talking about DRMed file. Even my normal WMA files don't play in Ubuntu 7.04, haven't tested 7.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom