The best software to upgrade existing MP3 File Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyur

Right off the assembly line
Hi Friends,

Which is the best software to update & upgrade existing MP3 (96kbps) quality files i.e.
1. converting to 160 kbps, stereo
2. Normalising the file so that the sound quality is better
3. appling & adding gain (db)
4. converting to Dolby Digital format etc.

I tried MMJB 7.5, MP3 Gain but was not satisfied. Also can anyone explain the normalizing concept in detail.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
First of all, increasing the bitrate from 96 to 160kbps will not increase the quality of ur mp3, as even one bit of information cannot be created out of nowhere. The same applies to coverting ur frequency to a higher one. But u can downsample to a lower sample rate and downmix to a lower frequency.
And dolby digital is a 5.1 channel sound format. So, in order to convert an mp3 to such a format, the mp3/wma should have 6 channels. Otherwise, it will be a waste of time.

But u can perform all of the actions u mentioned using dBPowerAmp, GoldWave or MP3Gain. I would recommend goldwave.

When done on a single file, normalizing increases the overall volume of the sound file to that of the loudest voluem in that file. Normalizing a directory/selection can be done to have the same loudest level, thus making sure u need not adjust ur speaker volume for every other song.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I have tried Dr.mp3 but its' good in some cases but it's merely increases the sound to a very high level, ie you are normalizing the same, the quality was better than the original one. Like siriusb said, Normalize the entire directory so that you need not adjust the volume level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom