The Adventures of my new 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Well ... since I was getting bored with my 5 month old 6200, I decided to buy the Best AGP card I could get....

So I thought ... why not try for a 7600 ... i cheacked on the net ... there were no AGP versions .. but still I tried to hunt for it in the market ... but alas, to no avail...

The Best 7600GT (PCIe) is for Rs.11,500 (which is BANG for the BUCK) .. bcos it is one Helluva performer...

So in the list of AGP cards in the market....these were the ones ...

GeForce 7800GS - Rs.18000
GeForce 6800xx - Rs. 19000 :roll:
GeForce 6600GT - Rs. 9000
:
:
I dint care about the rest & ATi cards were not avail in AGP at all :roll:

So I went ahead & bought the 6600GT for 9K from Lamington Rd. (Mumbai)

I came to Pune on Monday, installed it in my system ... it worked :eek:

But alas my happiness was short lived ... everytime I kept getting this NVidia Sentinel Message saying that your GFX is recieving less Power, Please Make sure you have connected an Additional Molex Connector to the rear end of your card ....

I checked, tried putting some other connectors ... but no avail .... :?

Then finally, the message stopped coming ... so I ran Freelancer ... the that stoopid Window started coming again .... an millions of instances of it....

Then I has chestfallen & installed my good old 6200 again...

Next day I came to office ... I tried looking up stuff on Forumz for Sentinel Messages .... all of them had different reasons & solutions...

1. He got the card replaced

2. He had 2 cards, 1 worked, one dint, so he got it replaced

3. He cleaned his card with a cloth n it worked

4. Changed their SMPS it worked....

Anywaz the Card said u need at least 300W SMPS... I had 350W ... so i was wondering what to do ....

Then I just went on the nVidia Site FAQs ... they had a well written article about it...

It said...

1. Connect the Molex if not

2. Even if it is connected and problem persists, connect a dedicated molex to the card only...(9th std Physics, current gets divided in Parallel)

3. Even if that does not work make sure the 12V rail on the Molex is capable of 15Amps

So I happily went home ... tried solution number two.......viola...it worked ... i could play games n max games out..do everything...

But AGAIN...my happiness was shortlived ....the very next day .....KAPUT...there blows my SMPS....it was HOTTT .... thank god it din burn up...

You see the 12V rail on my 350Watt SMPS had a rating of 12Amps, so it got overloaded....

So I called my dealer n asked him to specifaically send me an SMPS with more than 15Amps on the 12V rail....

Then I bought a Powersafe 400Watt SMPS with 20Amps on the 12V Rail for Rs.1500 & also asked him to courier 512MB additional RAM along with it.....

so finally my gaming rig looks like this

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
1GB RAM
GeForce 6600GT 256MB
Creative Soundblaster Live! DE 5.1
....and the rest....

Moral of the Story:

The Wattage on your SMPS is not all that matters, the Power Rating in Amps on the various rails are even more important.......

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
[Edited] Yea I was wrong. I had wrong information in my mind. Anyways sry for the trouble:(

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Almost everyone in India has the same problem. Good PSU's like Antec and Coolermaster cost too much so we buy the cheap ones. When they can't provide enough power and blow up we cry foul. It's not just you, 99% of the people on this forum don't have a PSU that can safely run a high end video card.

Last edited:
OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
well im not ... the same way SDRAM costs almost twice as much as DDR RAM ... AGP cards cost 33% more than their PCIe counterparts...when i bought my 6200 for 4K, the PCIe 6200 was for 3K

Dint u see the other weird thing ... the 6800 costs more than the 7800GS (both AGP) how the hell do u explain that .... they r market anomalies ... which very much exist ... and normal logic wont explain them ...

shovik

Banned
Its a problem from the SMPS, 6600GT card requires atleast 350watt PSU. Check your power supply ratings and get a good PSU from brands like CoolerMaster, Antec, e-Life. Your problem will be solved....

Regards,
Shovik.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
I have a e-life 450W SMPS and it works fine with my 6800GS overclocked edition. I have also overclocked my CPU from 1.8Ghz to 2.25Ghz (so more power intake) and it also is not giving any problem.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@shovik

My POST dint ask for a solution ... i already solved everything & have also explained why it did not run on a 350Watt SMPS ... i guess u dint read the entire post before manking your reply :)

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Me too, purchased 6600 gt 256 mg agp for 9350 rs in april .. xfx brand .. now u did not mention which company card u got there .. if its xfx then pls tell me ur default core and memeory speeds .. mine are 500 and 950 .. and have u tried oc ..if then, what's the result ?

I am using 400 w powersafe psu with it .. but my 3.2 e is working at 4 ghz with the help of zalman 9500 led .. (beautiful cpu cooler i must say ) ....

also the box mentioned that atleast 450 w psu is needed .. also i am looking at 450 w from cooler master or antec .. which would be better ..

as i dont want to stress this psu further ..

also the thing abt 7800 gs .. few companies are selling 7800 gt and 7900 gt under the hood of 7800 gs.. gainward has both of these and leadtek is selling 7900 gt under the name of 7800 gs.. so interested people should know that technically speaking even 7900 gt is available for agp ...

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
I have a BIG GeForce 6600GT 256MB & I guess the speeds are 500MHz & 900MHz

Well I am not really sure about your point of 7800GT being sold as a GS because they are two different chips at the core ... and have different tech specs so that they are compatible with AGP 8x or PCIe ...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
My XFX 6600GT 128MB is on 500MHz and 1GHz . I can't OC coz its already hot in Rajasthan :(

@yogi7272 , XFX had also released 256MB models without DDR3 memory , which one u have ? For instance XFX 6600GT 256MB with product ID PV-T43G-UDL6 has DDR2 memory .

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
I have ddr3 version .. also abt the 7800 gs .. yes i know that they are different cores than 7800 gt as well as 7900 gt .. but few companies ..only two i know till now ..gainward and leadtek .. are selling 7800 gt and 7900 gt cores under the name of 7800 gs .. they are costly .. but atleast ur getting a 20 or 24 pixel pipeline product instead of 16 pixel pipeline 7800 gs ..

even a friend of mine has just returned from us .. he has got gainward card with 7900 gt .. very big achievement for him considering only 500 of such cards were made .. these are special edition cards and comes with arctic nv silencer 5 gpu cooler .. he got it for 400 dollars i think .. not sure though ..

also, nvidia is going to launch 7600 core in agp version .. gs or gt .. not sure .. but its confirmed that they will launch 7600 in agp .. hopefully gt variant ..

check the net .. i dont have those links now .. but its true ..

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
I just got confirmation from him that he got that card for 345 dollars and it was preordered ..

nvidia will never release any high end card than 7800 gs ... so no 7900 gt in agp ... but because of companies like gainward and leadtek .. we can have 7900 gt in agp favour .. under the face of 7800 gs .. that's cool though..

the best agp card out there ... even better than x850 xt pe ...

let me know ur max oc.. so we can compare the two cards...

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hmmm .. i ran my 6600GT on a old 300W psu for over 6 months ... i guess it depends on the total load of the system more ... then the rating and amperage ...

Eazy

Journeyman
I got a good deal from my regular supplier at Lamington Road Mumbai - I bought a Big 6600GT 128mb PCIE card last week for 5000/-. This was a one time deal - dont expect to get this price again. :) It has worked perfectly from the start - only thing is that the Thermal paste that was applied on the cards Heat Sink looked like half an inch of toothpaste - I had to clean up the Heat Sink and the GPU and I applied Artic Ceramique.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
n dude its not amperage ..its Current LOL

LOL ...

"Amperage" is a term used to describe the number of electrons moving past a fixed point in a conductor in one second. And the basic definition of "Current" is defined as the flow of charge ....

So guess ... basicaly both are the same ... and u can't really measure any of them ... u calculate it ... so where was i wrong ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom