Ten Things Linux Needs to Make it Big(ger) in the Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I read that!! Now Oracle has it's own Linux. Surely they know how to market it!!
RHEL is doing pretty good. Ubuntu is slowly catching up in the Server market.

tuxfan

Technomancer
For a mass-acceptance, Linux needs to do two things:
  1. Make software installation really easy. You can't expect people to compile and install :rolleyes:
  2. Better hardware support. To hell with whether the hardware drivers are open source or not!! If they are available and manufacturer permits free distribution, just include it! (Mr. Stallman, are you listening? :rolleyes:) Or at least convince manufacturers to offer it for download from their sites and include in their package CDs. If people have to keep searching for the right drivers, they will rather install pirated Windows and get going! People select hardware for its functioning and not availability of drivers! Although Samsung has recently started shipping Linux drivers with its printers and also sports a tux in their ads :)
Main thing for most people is to do their work. They don't care about those licensing issues and freedom theories!!

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Tuxfan, slight correction in your post!! I think you wanted to convey this message.

Tuxfan said:
1. Make software installation really easy. You can't expect people to compile and install.
I also fully agree with you.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Tuxfan, You are welcome *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif. I always double-check my post to make sure there are no errors!!
@GNUrag, Oracle's CEO Ellison has clearly stated that they don't want to write Linux
from ground-up!! They will use the Source code from mutiple Sources, so that they
can give their Enterprise customers Linux support.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
JGuru said:
@GNUrag, Oracle's CEO Ellison has clearly stated that they don't want to write Linux
from ground-up!! They will use the Source code from mutiple Sources, so that they
can give their Enterprise customers Linux support.
They're planning a rip off of CentOS alone... There is no such thing as multiple sources.. I trust my sources :grin: :grin:

praka123

left this forum longback
oracle linux seems to be too buggy as although its seems a cent os rip.
Johnny Hughes, a CentOS community member who is now testing the free version of Oracle's Enterprise Linux, told LinuxPlanet that the software is "poorly documented, extremely buggy, and of questionable security hardening."
*jeremy.linuxquestions.org/blog/Linux

tuxfan

Technomancer
JGuru said:
@Tuxfan, You are welcome :razz:. I always double-check my post to make sure there are no errors!!
LOL I wish I could spare some more time for the forums. But thats not happening.

GNUrag said:
Bah!! Its a CentOS ripoff..
So its a ripoff of a derivative of RH :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom