Telnet Securityand Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvrine

Broken In
Telnet - A Tutorial to Telnet

Now you may be looking at this going, "What the hell is Telnet?". If you are, don't worry, I'll explain everything. First of all, Telnet is software that allows you to connect to another Telnet Host.
In windows systems Telnet is usually called Telnet32.exe or Telnet.exe. In newer versions of windows it is Telnet32.exe.
*** Note to Windows XP users: Don't go and get the old version of Telnet, because you have a DOS-Based one. I'll give commands along this guide so you can enjoy it too. You have to either run "Telnet" or "cmd" and then "Telnet".
Telnet is not illegal and is used by thousands of remote computers to interchange data, share connections, and do many other things that would be impossible without it.
The default port for Telnet is port 23. When I say for instance, 'Connect to the sys' I am referring to connecting on the system's default port for Telnet. Sometimes you can't determine a port so you will have to port scan a sys to find the Telnet Ports.
Port 25 is the 'Sendmail Protocol' port. We will be dealing with this port as well.

OP
wolvrine

wolvrine

Broken In
Because there are so many problems with Telnet today involving cyber crime and hacking, SysAdmins often restrict anonymous use of their sys's Telnet Proxies. This is cheap and can be bypassed easily.
Most SysAdmins are amatures at what they do and make me laugh. They restrict the Telnet proxies on port 23 and think that we can't telnet to other ports such as 81 and 25 because we can't use the Telnet Proxy. Well they are wrong. We can easily do it and we will. Let me point out a system that has this and was not effective. I will star out the IP for privacy.

Welcome to Microsoft Telnet. Telnet32.exe.
o
<to> 202.232.**.**
connecting to 202.232.**.** 23 (The port number)
Connected.
Connection to host lost (unauthorized use of Telnet Proxy(ies).
o
<to> 202.232.**.** 25
Connecting to 202.232.**.** 25 (Watch this..)
Welcome to ********.net Sendmail Program. Welcome to all staff.
vrfy bin
..550 <bin@********.net>
vrfy sys
..550 <sys@********.net>
vrfy root
..550 <root********.net>
vrfy admin
..550 <admin@********.net>
vrfy games
..550 <games@********.net>
vrfy uucp
..550 <uucp@********.net>
q
..550 <command not recognized>
c
Connection to host lost on command.
Ok people is there a problem there? How many addys did I get? Am I supposed to have those? Do I care? No. I am just demonstrating how sh1tty Unix-System security is and how easy it is to use the Telnet Proxy to your advantage. Here, I wil list some commands for all of you running under DOS.
C - Close the Current Connection
D - Display the sys's operating paremeters
O - Connect to a host name (on default port 23) [port]
q - Quit (Exit Telnet).
Set- Set Options
Send - Send data/strings to server
Telnet, as you know so far, is a very useful tool for hackers. Hell, if you can't connect to a computer, you can't hack it. Its that simple.
Now the best thing about Telnet is that virtually every Windows computer has it, comes with it, and is able to run it.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Welcome to the forums,

Well you have been posting quite a lot of posts in the tutorial section too fast too soon without giving the sources of them. If these are not written by yourself, i regret to say this is now allowed in the forums.

Hope you get the point. Have a nice time on the Di9it forums.

theraven

Technomancer
plz avoid makin multiple posts on same topic
u could very well post the same thing under one topic
topics merged

anomit

In the zone
Heh....perhaps Win Telnet is the lamest of all terminal softies, better try some other ones such as TerTerm and Putty. They offer better control and include support for many protocols. Also using a shell account would make better sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom