Tell me how good my sys is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo_the_one

Broken In
This is my system config ... do remember this i bought way back ...

Pentium III - 1 Ghz
512 SDRAM
Samsung samtron 55v - 15" monitor
Video Card - NVIDIA Geforce FX 5900 - Pine Board ( the pathetic thing is the card is 8X, but my AGP slot is 4X only)
No external sound card ... only the intel 815 board based AC 97 codec with stereo speakers
running Win XP Pro .. SP2

I am a gaming freak ...
these r some of the things i want 2 know from others point of view ..

1)What do u think abt the config ...? Do u think i am under utilising my video card capabilities ...?
2)After starting Max Payne (one) it starts perfectly but while loading the level it quits ... y that so ?... even max payne 2 runs perfectly ...
3) Of course the best game,Quake III, runs too smoothly without any problem .. but my friend who bought my old video card GeForce MX 440 SE runs Quake much more smoother than mine ... of course his only better thing is .. he is having P4 processor ... not even my memory .. not even my video memory ... just the processor alone make this much big difference ... y that so?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Patch Max Payne to th latest version.
As for Quake 3, it will run better on a P4 due to th larger cache size, 512 KB compared to 256 KB of P III, and FSB of th P4 processor. Also, almost all P4 systems use DDR memory which is faster than SD RAM.

imgame

Broken In
actually yes processor makes a diffrence u should check out the minimum system requirements of all the games ...they atleast want 1.5 GHz and above ..esply the newer ones want 2.0GHz ....as for quake it has become old now and almost all the graphics card available in the market runs it pretty well ......there are many bottle neck in ur system .....except for ur graphics card and RAM i guess everything.....1st ur monitor i think that max supported resolution of ur monitor is 1152x864 @ 60hz...if its not this then its 1024x768 @ 65 Hz(correct me if i m wrong) thats very low for ur card ,second u have 4x u r cutting 15-20 fps there in quake3 ...in other games the performance difference is 10-15%....ur RAM looks good ....for gaming ....i thing u need to upgrade ur CPU if u want to play newer games with it ......

and processor makes a diffrence because even prosser have support for some hardware instructions like MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3....and 3D now! (actually this is more complicated and things are interdependent on many other system parameters)....that really makes a diffrence ..and another reason is when things goes beyond GPU's control CPU takes over though its not a case with ur graphics card...at least do some justice to ur "graphics card " .....

theraven

Technomancer
sigh ...
its like this ... u ahve quite a good card ( 5900 ) @8x
with such a good card ur first bottleneck is ur agp slot (4x)
next ... ur graphics card is DYIIINGGG to process all that eye candy for u .. but ur processor aint giving it the "food" fast enuff ... if u know what i mean
yes comparing ur processor to todays normal standard ... THE PROCESSOR MAKES A LOOOTTT OF DIFFERENCE !!!
ur friend is runnin the p4 ... so its workin his graphics card ( GeForce MX 440 ) well enuff ... and specially for quake ... cuz considerin the card ... quake can be played very easily on this ... quake3 does not require that much GPU power compared to todays GPU's
ull find out the diff when ur friend tries to run something like say ... DOOM 3 !!
so will u ...
u'll be able to play it .. he wont ... but the diff would come for u bcuz u wont be able to play it smoothly ... why ? BECAUSE OF UR PROCESSOR !
i cant help u with maxpayne 1 im sorry
ive tried to simplify and answer ur question ... i hope u understand
cheers

Delpiero

Journeyman
Talking bout the system requirements here is a fact. I played Max payne2 on my friend's system and it ran perfectly fine. And the game loads quickly(not very quickly),rarely jerks,never hangs. It ran Absolutely fine considering his system config. But all the graphical settings were low. Believe it or not his system config. is P3 550 MHZ, Tomato ZX440bx mobo, 128 Mb SD RAM, Riva TNT2 M64 Graphic card, 20 GB Seagate HDD. It's true.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Delpiero said:
Talking bout the system requirements here is a fact. I played Max payne2 on my friend's system and it ran perfectly fine. And the game loads quickly(not very quickly),rarely jerks,never hangs. It ran Absolutely fine considering his system config. But all the graphical settings were low. Believe it or not his system config. is P3 550 MHZ, Tomato ZX440bx mobo, 128 Mb SD RAM, Riva TNT2 M64 Graphic card, 20 GB Seagate HDD. It's true.
Man r u kidding ? If it's tru, then I can't w8 to try it on my sys :)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
sigh ...
its like this ... u ahve quite a good card ( 5900 ) @8x
with such a good card ur first bottleneck is ur agp slot (4x)
next ... ur graphics card is DYIIINGGG to process all that eye candy for u .. but ur processor aint giving it the "food" fast enuff ... if u know what i mean

Nooooo ! raven dear, a AGP 4x slot with a AGP 8x card wont even make a difference of 5fps. The dude has a expensive gfx card but the processor and more importantly the SD ram is a major bottleneck. So its time 2 upgrade dude. Get a AMD 64 with a good mobo and enjoy. As for the mp1 issue patch it ! Btw neo is it a 5900 or a XT, and lemme know the price if possible . :D

theraven

Technomancer
sorry @blade .. i just realised i made the 4x 8x issue sound more serious than it is ...
i definitely meant the processor as a bigger bottleneck .. and the ram i forgot i agree

just in case i have a few critics out there .. i aint covering up ... i posted that 4x-8x wont be much of an issue myself on one of the threads ... will look for it !!

again @blade ... i just wrote the "FIRST" bottleneck was the slot ... tho i guess i shouldve stuck with the lower number higher priority convention
sorry again !

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Excluding your grafix card,your entire system will prove to be a bottleneck.your system is holding back the potential of the card.Upgrade to atleast a 2.8GHz P4 on 865/875 chipset based motherboard if you are a absolute gaming freak.

G

gxsaurav

Pine FX5900nU, 15k, ya I heard about it here, but I prefered Gigabyte more

get a new P4 2.8HT northwood with 865GBF on budget & 512 MB RAM, U can sale your SD RAM for high price as they are extinct & hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom