Tcp/Ip Security Limit Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilip281

Right off the assembly line
i run a fully patched WinXP Professional with SP2 on an AthlonXP 1800+ with a ms-6367 motherboard.i connect to the internet with a external D-link DFM-560ES modem through a Dishnet account. I dwnld a lot of stuff using bittorrents through Shareaza 2.0.0.0.

my problem is that after i leave shareaza running for sometime (usually hours but sometimes a few minutes) my internet connection just freezes. there is a connected icon in the taskbar but nothing goes out or comes in. Neither the modem nor the firewall (ZoneAlarm) show any kind of activity.sometimes the modem shows that it is not connected but not always. i cannot browse the internet also.if i try to disconnect it takes a comparitively long time to do so.

In the event viewer one of the two following alerts shows up.

1)Warning Alert
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the no. of concurrent TCP connect attempts
2)Information Alert
The connection to Dishnet done by user using device COM1 was disconnected due to lack of activity

i have checked all options for modems and connections in the control panel, and have checked all options that i can understand are, for an uninterrupted connection (as far as possible to do with a mouse). :) i know its not the firewall because it happens even if there isnt one. reinstalling the OS doesnt help either.

how can i overide the default security limit? or is the problem related to bittorrent handling in Shareaza? please give me some help to remove this very irritating problem. its really starting to bug me having to frequently restart my connection every hour.

amistik

Broken In
Check this Link. Though it is for Win2K i think it may work for XP SP2 also.
*www.microsoft.com/windows2000/tech...2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/58810.asp

OP
D

dilip281

Tried it but there was nothing similar to DWORD "TcpNumConnections" in the registry. :(

You gave a very good lead.i will try to find abt similar topic in XP.

Thankz for the lead.

OP
D

dilip281

a simple google search helped get a exe file which would increase the max no of connections to 50 per port (you can also specify the no) by modifying my tcpip.sys file.

you can find this file here :

www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix-en.htm

i have to check if this really works now, bye. :)

amistik

Broken In
dilip281 said:
Tried it but there was nothing similar to DWORD "TcpNumConnections" in the registry. :(

You gave a very good lead.i will try to find abt similar topic in XP.

Thankz for the lead.

You have to create that DWORD string and enter the value in HEX format.
Before editing the registry take usual precuations.

id10t

Broken In
dilip281 said:
i have checked all options for modems and connections in the control panel, and have checked all options that i can understand are, for an uninterrupted connection (as far as possible to do with a mouse). :) i know its not the firewall because it happens even if there isnt one. reinstalling the OS doesnt help either.

how can i overide the default security limit? or is the problem related to bittorrent handling in Shareaza? please give me some help to remove this very irritating problem. its really starting to bug me having to frequently restart my connection every hour.
go to Control Panel --> Network Connections
right click on your connection icon under "Dial-up" and go to properties.
under "Options" tab look for "Redialling options". set "Idle time before hanging up" to "never".
if it still doesn't help then you should contact Dishnet as it seems that they have some kind of protection against idle connections because of which they disconnect any connection that is not having any network activity. i experience this on MTNL dial-up a lot.
that warning about number of TCP connect attempts is not behind this disconnection problem of yours.

godzi_85

In the zone
ya the connection does freeze..
i use azereus... and same here ...
but i have a found that while your download or upload is still going on.. opening your web browser and type any valid url ... and then dc from azereus or shareza...the connection remains smooth and you don`t get any error... i haven`t got any except for the first few times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom