TCP/IP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shpid3r

Right off the assembly line
Hello folks!

I have a very strange problem (sorry for this post being so long)

I have installed an application that creates some sort of VPN, which didn`t work (the application is virus-safe, that`s for sure). I restarted my pc, and I`ve seen that though till then the internet connection worked just fine, this time displayed the "limited or no conectivity" message.

I went to the connection properties and saw that Client for NetWare and 2 NWLink items were active in the general tab. When logging in, i`ve seen that the welcome screen was disabled and i got the win2000 login cassette.

I have uninstalled the 3 entries concerning NetWare and restarted. Didn`t solve my problem

I mention that TCP IP and everything that is usual for networking is still here and checked. TCP/IP is set on automatic to both ip and dns.
The ipconfig command replies an ip 169.254.a.b (255.255.0.0) with NO gateway. Moreover, the usual layout of ipconfig /all is

[...]
Autoconfiguration Enabled: yes
IP ADDRESS x
Netmask etc

This time, ipconfig /all replies

[...]
Autoconfiguration Enabled: yes
AUTOCONFIGURATION IP ADDRESS: 169.254.x.y (so one word more)

Adding to this, ActiveSync (which uses the tcp/ip protocol) reported that "TCP/IP Network Transport not installed".

I`ve reinstalled the driver for my NIC and reset the TCP/IP configuration using netsh int ip reset <logfile>

Didn`t solve my problem.

People at microsoft haven`t replied yet.... neither did my isp (still studying for the last couple of days)

I`ve used regedit and went to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

I`ve seen that when reinstalling my NIC, an entry like C5AED4-DE46-4BDC-etc is added into interfaces, and each time i reinstall my NIC another (new/random) key takes places to the old one. Let`s say that this time it`s
C5AED4-DE46-4BDC-etc (replaced further on by ***)

Into parameters, i`ve seen:

@Linkage: 3 entries concerning ***
@Adapters , at ***, keyName: Ipconfig value: tcpip\parameters\interfaces\***
@interfaces, at *** (here it gets interesting)
some keys (there are around 20-25):
DHCPClassIdAddress: 169.254.258.83
DHCPRetryStatys: 0
DHCPServer 255.255.255.255
DHCPNetMask 255.255.0.0

(I`ve exported the whole TCPIP registry section, i can post it here if u want to study it more)

I know not what to do next... I know the problem is around here, and it`s related to the netware... but it seems that reinstalling the NIC, resetting the tcp/ip does not solve my problem. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

OP
S

shpid3r

Right off the assembly line
Thank you for your suggestions, folks!

The problem wasn`t from .net suite. The application i`ve installed also added NetWare into the attributes of my net connection and that changed some of my internet settings: another IP, no DNS, another routing protocol.

I`ve contacted both my ISP and Microsoft, but they didn`t know what to say and asked for a couple of days to investigate.

Intrigued as I was because i could have made some minimal conectivity (set up a manual IP and ping some remote IPs - so, IPs, not DNS`s), I`ve tried to connect to my router (type in IE 192.168.0.1).

IE asked me to connect to the internet, I`ve chosen to connect and it reported some problem to TCP/IP protocol and hinted to go to Tools > Diagnose connection (from IE menus). I did that, deleted ALL connections and asked to scan for connections.

Reported (again) a problem with my TCP/IP and asked a restart to fix it. And it did.

Anyway I had located the problem into my registry, i simply didn`t know how to fix it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom