Task Manager not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
:? Can anyone help me with this.
I was affected by two viruses recently: Bakdoor.IRC.Aladinz.R and W32.Alcra.B. They were both removed by Norton Internet Security 2006. But they corrupted my Task Manager. Now whenever I try to access the Task Manager, a message comes that 'Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator'. i have administrative privileges. I even tried this registry tweak which i found from a website but it isn't working:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\SystemModify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.Data Type: DWORD Value // Value Name: DisableTaskMgr Setting for Value Data: [0 = Enabled (Default) / 1 = Disabled]Exit Registry and Reboot.

Please help me as i don't want to start working with a new account as most of my software is account-dependent.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
* Click Start
* Click Run
* Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
* In the Group Policy settings window
o Select User Configuration
o Select Administrative Templates
o Select System
o Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
o Select Remove Task Manager
o Double-click the Remove Task Manager option
Disable it

Source = *www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Wi...ableDisableTaskManagerinWindowsXPHomePro.html

Or try this small utility :)
*www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

Recommended for ur system :
Go here and follow the removal instuctions for registry entries of the trojan/virii...
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.irc.aladinz.r.html
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.alcra.b.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom