Taking Airtel broadband: Advice on security needed for corporate lan setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
As I had already posted and based on feedback, i plan to go for airtel 999 plus plan 256 kbps connection. But since my office is connected by vpn to our ho servers, the it guys over there are extremely (sic) concerned about security. I checked with the Airtel tech guys and they said that they have av and firewall at the isp level. They are also willing to sell us a router for 2.5 k. Is it reasonable. Could anyone having experience in security issues advice on how and what to configure?

Presently, the delhi computers connect through a gateway and then through vsnl vpn to our ho. The vpn link cannot be severed as our finance apps work through that only and outlook/exchange needs it to work. I plan to use the broadband connection only for web access and for pop3/smtp mail access.

Present setup
Our computers > router > vsnl vpn > ho router > exchange and proxy

I want to set it up something like
Our computers > router > airtelrouter & vsnlvpn > ho router > exchange and proxy
The gateway will see the type of query and forward to the airtel router if it is aweb request or a pop3 smtp request. Is it possible?

Also we seem to get a free telephone connection from airtel with an internet connection. Is it any good?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
try this .......open browser and put address as 192.168.1.1/main.html
U will be promoted to enter user name n password.
user name-admin
password-password

There u will find many many options n option of security with firewall also.Do ur setting .

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
great security i guess if the default password is allowed during setup. Dont the installation guys tell you to change it so you don't forget?

My question basically was what os would a router use. How do configure the firewalls etc? and by the way which router to buy (economical), how to setup antivirus and antispam in that etc. I guess, ravi that is what you are trying to tell me about the firewalls and changing password, but i would like to also know about antivirus and antispam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom