SysVinit replacements available

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
I use Debian GNU/Linux and earlier (and still) most distros uses sysVinit for managing init processes.I tried Initng and upstart
Both are fast compared to the old sysvinit and its /etc/init.d/ and starts processes asynchronously thus faster.but initng lacked some new scripts(ifiles).so the option i had was to use upstart.Any others here using Initng on Linux esp Debian or Ubuntu....below is the repo line for debian/ubuntu /etc/apt/sources.list for latest initng builds
Code:
deb *debian.space-based.de/debs/ experimental main
other replacement init scripts includes :runit,minit etc
please share your thoughts about sysVinit replacements here :)
init

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The correct title of this article is init. The initial letter is shown capitalized due to technical restrictions.

init (short for "initialization") is the program on Unix and Unix-like systems that spawns all other processes. It runs as a daemon and typically has PID 1.
The functionality diverged, in Unixes such as System III and System V, from the functionality provided by the init in Research Unix and its BSD derivatives. The usage on most Linux distributions is compatible with System V, but some distributions, such as Slackware, use a BSD-style and others, such as Gentoo Linux, have their own customized version.
Opinions on the relative merits of different schemes can be strongly held, leading both to occasional "flame wars", and also to the development of several alternatives.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
with Open Solaris on the verge to be GPL V3 ed we can wish it will get a much needed jumpstart with foss devels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom