System too slow!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
Please help guys!!!
I have AMD sempron 2500+ 64bit, having 256MB RAM and 80GB sata HDD.. the system is hardly 1 month old and it has became tad slow..
I've tried defragging, used ADAWARE, spybot s&d, did complete virus scan still no good... :(
Even winamp takes 10-15seconds to start... 70% of hdd apace is free..
what could be the reason.
plz help.. I am using windows xp professional SP2.....

susk21

Broken In
are check again if you have trojan and remove it if you find one.
CTRL+ALT+DELETE
go into processes and see any fishy process!!
you know the las option:
as you have 70% space free then you can backup your data and FORMAT the drive in which you have windows!!

G

gxsaurav

incrse your RAM, check that do u have anything on startup running, as that will slow your boot time

do a full disk check, that might help

mayurs85

Right off the assembly line
Dude, tat is a Good Config u hav.
Do 1 thing download a Software Named ccleaner and also 1 more thing
Do not Install Themes it Eats UP ur Ram
Right Click on My Computer--Advanced Tab--PERFORMANCE cLICK sETTINGS--iN D viSUAL sETTINGS cLICK ON aDJUST 4 bEST pERFORMANCE-aND cLICK OK
It Wud make ur PC look like an Win 98 OS and den see if ur PC Works or Not. and if dis Still doesnt Work msg me On mayurs85@gmail.com.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Running WinXP Pro with SP2 with just 256MB RAM ... specially with many processes and services on the background can reasonably slow down the pc .... try disabling non essential services and processes rarely used ....

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
does running too many games slow down the computer???
the problem started aftr installing NFS Underground and UT2004.....

Gunner

Broken In
No, the problem is not due to games. Primarily, the problem arises due to the installation of too many softwares that open up on startup (i.e. when the system starts up). I suggest you try disabling the startup of unwanted software when the system is opened. That should speed things up considerably. Incase it is still low, you might have to upgrade your RAM to 512 MB atleast.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Have you installed all the nessary drivers? What firewall do you have? There is a Issue with some older Zonealarm firewall. I have noticed the speed difference in my PC which is a P4 520.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
i've installed all neccesary drivers...
i am using windows xp sp2 default firewall., and there is only yahoo messeng, soundman and mcafee antvir at startup.

gsrajawat

Right off the assembly line
friend i think u must test this.
1. run disc defragementer
2. run Disc clean up
3. Update ur antivirus and run full system scan
4. Update windows from microsft site.
5. Uninstall unnessary programs
6. Try symantec corporate 9 antivirus
bye
gsrajawat@gmail.com

Gunner

Broken In
Same to that.
1. Defragment your discs.

And have you checked wether your PC runs any faster if any games that you might have installed are uninstalled ? I suggest you try it.

susk21

Broken In
"mcafee antvir"

man, i think mcafee antivirus is your problem. try installing new antivirus like NOD 32 or Norton!!

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
K, will do...
One more question. has file system anything to do with speed????
I mean that all my partitions are FAT32.. should i change it to NTFS??
Will it help???

dada_patekar

Broken In
hi dada ka

arey yahin to bill gates aur uska company galti kar gaya, oS to dey diya par jitna install karo utna slow ho jata hain. tu diskeeper 10 try kar,system mechanic,bekaar ki services rok de,hoon sake to increase ur ram to 512 mb.

anandk

Distinguished Member
check these threads
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21415&highlight=
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845&highlight=services

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Hey buddy dont u think installing norton will further slow down his PC as it uses a whole lotta resources.
I think he shud stick to Mcafee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom