System Switches off while Switching on the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyasram

The pWnster
My pc's config is Amd 3000+, 1 gb ram,Asus a8n-e, 160 gb hdd,xfx 6600gt graphics, 2 optical drives and i use a lg 17" monitor and creative inspire 2.1 speakers. I run my system 24 * 7 . But i switch my monitor off to conserve energy. Whenever i switch off my monitor and then turn it on , my pc switches off. This happens only when i run my pc on a ups(microtek 800va 2 battery ups). When i connect directly without my ups, this doesn't happen. Plz help me. My monitor setting is 1024*768, 32 bit, 70 hertz. PLz tell me why this is happenning. Is this an ups problem? :?: :?:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yes its a problem with the ups . When ever you switch on the monitor there is a huge initial load for the UPS which the ups cannot handle . it even happened to me some times.If you have never discharged the UPS battery fully then do so i.e., run your computer using the ups battery till the ups runs out of battery power then switch on the mains . then charge it again to full power.do it for a few times initially and then once everymonth. doing so will increase the battery proformance and the backup time.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
its the ups , my frnd just got the same microtek 800va ups , and is facing the same problem , his ups is brand new. too bad for him if the whole product line is faulty , he was hoping it to be chkd by the microtek engineer ,but now i dont thik it will help :\

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
I am the friend tarey is referring to. I have a similar computer, with 2.4 P4C instead of the 3000+, and a Samsung 17". I bought the UPS, and found this problem on the first day.

If I just turn off the monitor and turn it on a short time later, then there isn't any problem. However, leaving the monitor off 4-5 minutes, and then turning it on causes everything attached to the UPS to restart.

I talked to my dealer and he said that this is a known problem, and he will talk to the Microtek service guy when possible (3-4 days ago, no reply yet). I hope this means that the problem is solvable.

I just bought a Samsung 740N 17" LCD, and of course there is no problem with that. LCDs consume far less power, and the CRT powering up put a load on the UPS. Our UPS' are unable to handle the load and trip.

Another problem with the UPS, as I discovered, is that if there is a power failure, the system and the monitor stays on properly, but my modem (standard BSNL DataOne Huawei modem) resets. I don't think anything can be done about this problem, but I hope that the above problem is fixable. Vyasram, how do you connect to the net? Do you have any such problem.

Vyasram, take the UPS to your Microtek service center, and let me know if the problem gets fixed. If I find out anything more first, I will post it here.

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
Thanks for ur replies. I also use bsnl broadband on a huawei modem. Yes, it usually restarts while the ups turns to backup and sometimes this happens even while working normally. I had this huawei modem problem even while using a wipro ups. I guess this modem is too sensitive to even minute voltage fluctuations. So its a born-problem with huawei modems. I once tried running this modem with a direct power connection without ups thinking that it wd solve the problem . To my surprise , it restarted twice every minute :!:

@AlphaOmega , plz pm me abt the remedy to the monitor problem when that service person visits you and gives a cure to ur problem(hopefully).I am askin coz microtek doesn't have any service around my town. I cant send it to a service center that easily as the nearest one afaik is in chennai(abt 500 kms from my town) .

casanova

The Frozen Nova
I too face the same problem. My current alternative is I use the power saving option of WindowsXP to switch off monitor. It is working great 4 me. Give it a try.
charngk said:
If you have never discharged the UPS battery fully then do so i.e., run your computer using the ups battery till the ups runs out of battery power then switch on the mains . then charge it again to full power.do it for a few times initially and then once everymonth. doing so will increase the battery proformance and the backup time.

Wud give tis a try too. But I had heard there are life cycles for battrey like 1000 or 10000 life cycles. If the battrey is drained tis many times, it dies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
AlphaOmega said:
Another problem with the UPS, as I discovered, is that if there is a power failure, the system and the monitor stays on properly, but my modem (standard BSNL DataOne Huawei modem) resets. I don't think anything can be done about this problem, but I hope that the above problem is fixable.

Coincidence ?? even my modem gets reset whenever power fails. I have the same standard Dataone modem. My UPS is SBS (dono what it is) my vendor gave it to me . It takes the load quite good but if there is a frequent power cut only then the my conputer resets .

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
I tried power management in windows b4 and it works only 50% of the times. Will lowering the monitor refresh rate help me?

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Will lowering the monitor refresh rate help me?

Might help. I work at 1024x768 @60Hz.

1 prob I face is when there are continuous fluctuations, my pc hangs. The busy led of cpu is on and i have to reboot. Diff prob, but might be it also gets solved here.

theraven

Technomancer
u have to limit the no. of devices on the UPS ...
yeah crts take a huge load specially wen starting

@AO 800va should be decent for ur config .. what else are u attatchin to ur ups ?
also the modem resets ? or goes off till the power comes back ?
cuz UPS have certain plugs for on battery .. and a few ONLY for voltage regulation

my apc 500va ups had 3 plugs
2 on battery and one for ONLY voltage regulation.

NO changing monitor refresh will not make a difference.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
theraven said:
u have to limit the no. of devices on the UPS ...
yeah crts take a huge load specially wen starting

@AO 800va should be decent for ur config .. what else are u attatchin to ur ups ?
also the modem resets ? or goes off till the power comes back ?
cuz UPS have certain plugs for on battery .. and a few ONLY for voltage regulation

my apc 500va ups had 3 plugs
2 on battery and one for ONLY voltage regulation.

NO changing monitor refresh will not make a difference.

I have only attached my monitor, modem and CPU to the UPS. This is hardly going to stress any UPS, leave alone a 800va one. The modem simply resets, and I have to wait about a minute or so until it catches the ADSL signal again. The biggest problem with this is that if the power ever goes in the free downloading time (2AM - 8AM) I won't be awake to reconnect.

The UPS is pretty decent overall. I haven't had the opportunity to test it throughly, but it seems to give good backup. I will test the backup times and post. If the monitor load problem can be solved then it is a good UPS. But if the product itself is a lemon, then .... :(. Though I should be ok now that I have a LCD. I don't have the problem now, but I will still have the UPS looked at by a tech, cause I don't want a defective product.

Changing the resolution or any monitor setting won't have any effect.

Vyasram, I don't have a service center in my city either, but a Microtek 'engineer' visits once a week (according to my dealer). Check if your city also gets a visit. I will contact my dealer Monday/Tuesday, and let you know the update on the problem.

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
I get abt 30 mins backup time with it, and that's not a prob with it. I connect my cpu,monitor in two plugs and then use a extension cord to connect my speakers, modem, battery/cell charger into the third plug. All three plugs are supported by battery

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
UPDATE: While my dealer hasn't yet done anything, though he said that the Microtek tech has visited my city twice and apologized.
However, I found out something interesting. I was reading something about LCD monitors when I found this:
*www.dansdata.com/sm172t.htm

It is a review of a LCD monitor, and while the author lists the advantages of LCD over CRT, he says:

In their favour, LCDs are immune to magnetic interference and so don't need a degaussing coil, so they don't have CRTs' hefty power-up current draw. If you run a PC from an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), you're likely to find that the monitor's degauss circuit draws more power than the UPS can deliver, so if you lose mains power while the monitor's off or in standby, you can't turn the screen on without resetting the computer. This isn't a big concern for most people, but it's worth mentioning.

So this is the cause of the problem. But this does not mean that the Microtek UPS is not at fault. The author says 'if you lose mains power while the monitor is off...'.
In our case the computer resets even though the mains is available. I am still not absolutely clear if leaving the monitor off (and probably causing the coil to loose charge) then powering up should cause the computer to reset even though mains is available.
Is there anyone else running a 17" CRT + CPU off a UPS? Could you try this with your UPS? Turn on the system. After it is fully booted up, turn the monitor off (with the monitor power button) for 5 mins. Then turn it on.
Vyasram: I don't know anyone who runs a 17" with (any) UPS. If you do, could you check?

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
i previously used Digigiga (Dlink) 600va ups with da same system, never had this problem. I guess what that guy said was abt primitive UPSes, and Microtek's UPS is primitive in this case

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
No what that guy said is pure crap, it doesn't happen to me even in this ups.

I just now tries switchin off the monitor, then i switched off the mains , and then i switched on the main a few mins later and then switched on my monitor , still my system didn't reset. Mine resets only after i switch off my monitor for a long time and then switch it on, no matter whether there are current cuts or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom