System stuck in shutdown screen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
I hava a sempron2500+ running on windows xp pro...
every time i shutdown the system my computer gets stuck in shutdownscreen..
The screen says windows is shutting down but it never does!!
plz help!!!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Do u hv ne Eye candy s/w installed, like RK Launcher? I hv seen many ppl using RK Launcher and their system doesnt shut down and hangs at the shutdown screen!

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
My hdd is brand new so no chances of badsectors....
No i have'nt installed any eyecandies...
By the way which services should i check???

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Chk if there are any hardware whose drivers are not installed. it may also be a corrupt driver. If you have a modem then install the drivers which came with it. dont trust the default microsoft drivers. some times the power features of the hardware cause these problems.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
If you have enabled "Clear Page file while Shutting Down" by some kind of tweaking program, it may take a long time for the computer to clear the file.

Check whether it is enabled or not on your system. Search the Windows Tips/Tricks in either Tutorials section or FAQ section to see how to do it.

::vicky::

In the zone
yrana2002 said:
If you have enabled "Clear Page file while Shutting Down" by some kind of tweaking program, it may take a long time for the computer to clear the file.

Check whether it is enabled or not on your system. Search the Windows Tips/Tricks in either Tutorials section or FAQ section to see how to do it.

rana this tweak makes shutdown slow but not hangs the comp

agnels

Live The Dream!
Open Control Panel and click on Power Options. See if any setting is set to NEVER. Keep any time for all four like....

Power Schemes: Home/Office Desk
Turn off monitor:After 2 mins
Turn off hard disk:After 3 mins
System Hibernates:After 5 mins
System Standby:After 15 mins

Save the settings and then try to shutdown the computer. It happened to my PC long back and i followed the same procedure and computer shutdown.

computer_gamer

Right off the assembly line
System does not shutdown

All of them have said good things to try. Try one more thing.
click on start->run msconfig
go to services tab, click on 'hide all microsoft services' and uncheck the rest
go to startup tab and uncheck everything
apply and ok, system will ask for a restart, do it and then after it comes back, see if sys shuts down
thanks[/i]

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
If you are able to shutdown PC successfully in Safe Mode, then it means some driver may be not able to unload in Normal Mode.

Sytem shuts down smoothly in safe mode....
I'll check the drivers..
Is it because of CnQ driver?? as my processor is sempron and it does'nt support this feature.. but i installed this driver coz it came with my MOBO..

agnels

Live The Dream!
Try to update your system with SP2 and latest updates otherwise things like this will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom