system restore....?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
How exactly does the system restore feature in winxp works? Does frequent system restore bring about any damage to the system? My friend has done it several time due to whatever reason and now he says that his system has slowed down, such as application load time and system shutdown time has increased. Please help.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
It may be because of storing so many backup of the system.
I mean System Restore service creates backups time to time, and that can also slow down the speed & performance of the system.
U can disable & again enable the service to delete all stored backups.
It can help in increasing the speed and System Restore will automatically create a new backup of the current stage of the system.

The backups r stored in the system drive, i.e., C:\

SHell

Broken In
System restore provides a method to go the previous state of computer
which worked fine.
System Restore sets chekpoints at various intervals or after u installed
certain software.

U can initiate or stop system restore by going to accessories->system tools-> system restore. Regukar System restore might eat up certain system resources.

P.S -System Restore is the one of the most flexible features of XP

manavmohanty

Broken In
why are u trying for system restore.--- vishal is right -- it shoted lots and lots of backups and system files.. as many times u run sustem restore u r trying to invoke the registry.. hnece the machine goes slow.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
System Restore actually backup's the imp files at certain point of time ar whenever needed and according to that it restores to that state...

Yes i have heard that lot of back up and restoring slows down the system.

anandk

Distinguished Member
u cud get ur answers at *www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

also i prefer to keep the 'systemrestore' on and it has helped me several times.

PS:
if u want to start/shutdown faster click here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845&highlight=

if u want to save resources click here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24598&highlight=

manavmohanty

Broken In
well, for me the best way to restoe the system is simply format and load the os again. keep all ur datas as backup in another drive.. for that u got to have all installers with you..

well if u want to speed up the machine.. all i can say delete all files in the "c:\windows\prefetch" Folder. and remove all visual effect for the time being

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
You can ghost ur hard disk from time to time using norton ghost and then restore a full image of ur drive. I never use any backup system myself other than the original installers and music/movie collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom