System Restore in ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Is there something like system restore in ubuntu like windows. I want to restore system to previous state(newly installed ) so that i can take backup of installed packages that are independent of others.
eg. Amrok and K3B both are KDE applications and require KDE library. Suppose first i install amrok and KDE lib is also installed.Now i backup and delete all the packages from /var/apt/cache/archives/ and then if i install K3B and take backup of it, the backup will not include KDE lib as it is already installed on my system. So the backup is incomplete and can't be installed independentely.
So plz suggest me good way to restore my system to fresh state for the purpose of taking independent backup of the packages

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hmm, delete your cache (Move it) before installing KDE stuff and then install all KDE stuff, or even one, Amarok say. Make an AptISO and later after you download K3B and such (And their requirements), keep adding them to this ISO?

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
But i want to make amrok and k3b independent of each other. So in k3b backup there ll be no kde stuff and it can't be installed.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
see if ur doing this with regards to ur offline package use exaile instead of amarok - exaile is gnome based and not kde based

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
its not the question of only amarok and k3b. There may be many packages having same dependencies. I want every package to be self dependent :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Dude,many apps have common dependencies,
you just cant keep on maintaining every app with its dependencies.

Try,FlyBack.
Its an attempt to clone TimeMachine for linux.
*code.google.com/p/flyback/

Regards,
ray

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
CadCrazy said:
It is difficult but not impossible na :grin:
Well it isn't that tough I guess. Get the source or dev packages from the repository and compile each one with static libraries.
Though it's not a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom