System Restarts frequently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi,

Off late, I find my system restarting frequently without any intervention or at the occurence of a specific event.

I have a P4, Mercury 845 NFSX mobo, 256MB SD RAM, 40GB Seagate HDD, 52x LG CD/RW and Mercury TV Tuner Card.

I have scanned with the latest updates of NAV for virus, no good news. Also checked for Bad sectors, and fixed them.

It restarts frequently at arnd 5 to 10 mins of the previous restart, So I can use my PC for more than 10 mins...

It also invariably restarts, even if I am watching TV or do some programming..

I am confused whether is it a H/w or S/W problem.....!

Any help would be appreciated....

Reagards,
Ramprasad

legolas

Padawan
yes, its obvious to be confused reg. the hardware or software issue!! and if u installed any new hardware recently, it might be coz of that? or also any new softwares. try uninstalling them and check. also, check the RAM if its fixed properly... better remove and fix it again. shud solve the problem. also, try booting into safe mode and see if the problem persists.

/legolas

Kniwor

Learner
Is there any countdown before restarting, like when we do network shutdowns.

1) If there is a countdown, itś a virus.

2) This is most probably a hardware problem. can be many reasons

It can be a temperature issue. just check if the temperatures are fine. Check the shutdown temperature.

It can be because of error in ram, run memtest.

OP
ramprasad

ramprasad

In the zone
legolas :

Nothing has been installed new... The TV Tuner was installed a month ago and the problem has started only a week back.... I haven't installed any new S/W since a month.......

Kniwor:
No countdown, so no virus...
How to check the shutdown temperature...?

legolas

Padawan
then i shud be sure that its either coz of RAM.. jus remove it from the slot and fix it again... or the temperature. clean ur processor FAN and also SMPS FAN and try it.

/legolas

slugger

Banned
ramprasad said:
legolas :
How to check the shutdown temperature...?
You could check the shutdown temperature of ur system by going in to the BIOS of your compyuter. Although its gonna vary from BIOS to BIOS but in in my BIOS itsd abvailabel int the SMART SETTINGS section.
Aslo there are various 3p SW that let you monitor the HDD and System temperatre (HDD temperature will only be displayed if ur HDD supports SMART and it has been enabled in the BIOS).
If ur rig is shutting down bcos of temp issues then you need to check out the fan speed and see if something is obstructiong the free flow of ari through the cabinet, like a rogue wire or IDE cable or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom