System File Checker in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat22

In the zone
Source : *ask-leo.com/

If you want to make a change to your system configuration - perhaps adding an accessory that you

neglected at the original setup, then the place to go is not setup, but the control panel:

Start
Settings (if you're using classic start menu)
Control Panel
Add or Remove Programs
Add or Remove Windows Components
That will bring up the dialog, extremely similar to setup, in which you can select the optional

Windows components to add or remove.

If you're looking to reinstall system files because you suspect corruption, what you really need

is the System File Checker. This utility validates that all of windows system files are correct,

and fixes those that are not:

Start
Run
Type: "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, followed by Enter
sfc may ask for your installation CD-ROM. (See this article if you don't have one.)

Finally, if you really, honestly and truly want to re-install windows, the first step would be to

run your installation CD. If you don't have one, you may have an image of the CD on your hard

disk. In the I386 directory are two files:

winnt32.exe is the "32 bit" version of the character mode Windows setup. You may be able to run

this from within Windows.
winnt.exe is the "16 bit" version of the character mode Windows setup. Why a 16 bit version? If

you can't run winnt32.exe and are able to boot from an MS-DOS floppy, or are able to boot to

Win9x DOS mode, then this setup program will work for you.
WARNING: character.exe and winnt32.exe are the start-from scratch, do it all over setup programs.

Use them only if you want a complete re-install of Windows - possibly losing any prior custom

configuration changes you'character made, depending on whether setup is installing on top of, and

can understand, a prior installation.

Source : *ask-leo.com/

hdsk.23

~ Harshdeep ~
thanks to make me racall this command i was finding it for many days because i have forgot it as i have used it long time back!!!!

redhat

Mad and Furious
Thats very very old news:
The Add/Rem Windows Components and the SFC were parts of Windows 98!
Win 98, also contained an important feature of a Registry Checker which is not included in the later versions of windows. The only change in Win XP, was the small change required when issuing the SFC command, i.e. adding the parameters.

anandk

Distinguished Member
...but thanx for posting ! :) there r always some who may not have heard about somethings ! keep posting ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom