System does not always read the new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjay_111

Broken In
I recently upgraded the RAM of my Presario SR 1930 IL (2.8 GHz, 512 MB as installed). I took a 1 Gig Zion Ram and put into the second slot.

While installing, we found that when both RAMs are there, it reads only the original 512 MB RAM. BIOS shows second Memory Bank "not installed". If we removed the original RAM, it read the new RAM fine.

After some effort, it read both RAMs. What we did was: we went to BIOS and "saved settings" and then exited and then shut down and rebooted and then it showed both RAMs.

Then again sometimes it showed only one RAM when I came back from office and checked while some family members were using it. I shut down and again started and it read both the RAMs.

Now I am seeing that it is consistently not reading the second RAM at all. Shut down, restarted, went to BIOS and "saved settings". Nothing seems to work.

Can someone help ??

sashijoseph

In the zone
Seems to be a case of loose contact.Take out both sticks,clean the contacts,blow off dust etc. and reseat them in different slots.Should work.

OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
Thanks for the reply. I will be trying it out.

But if the contacts were loose why would it read the RAM individually ALL the time ?

Will again post after doing what u recommend. Let us see ..

OP
S

sanjay_111

Broken In
Utsav,

I do not seem to be able to find where to change SDRAM CAS Latency in BIOS.

What I do is - I press F1 repeatedly while the computer is booting to get into BIOS and then I get the BIOS with a number of tabs with options under them. I searched all options but there did not appear to me anything like change SDRAM CAS latency option.

I am going to search the web on how to do it but in the meantime, I hope you see the message and reply. It is really disturbing there is a 1 gig RAM in my system but is lying useless.

Thanks

I found out on the web how to change latency setting in BIOS 3.3 but mine is version 2.58 and it has five tabs - Main, Advanced, Power, Boot and exit and nowhere could I find advanced chipset settings options.

HELP !!!

Last edited:

lokhendro

upcoming
ur ram clock are different may be .... check out carefully.... m too have the same prob before ..... try changing the ram slot and if not replace the ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom