System boots in 2 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krish

Journeyman
Hi,

My friend is facing a really weired problem. It takes him more than 2 hours to boot windows xp (sp1). A blank screen is displayed after the windows GUI is loaded during boot and then the login screen is displayed after a lot of time.

Config. is:
ASUS A7N8X VM/400
AMD Athlon XP 2GHz
512 MB RAM
40GB HDD.

When booted in Linux, it was showing some problem related to USB. But the problem persists even after disabling USB from BIOS.

Any idea????

Krish

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Mine was not 2hrs it was 4-5 mins. It took 4-5 mins to boot. I reinstalled xp and it worked. And why sp1 now when sp2 is here?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
why sp2? sp3 is here !
Try system mechanic pro v6 and remove all junk and optimise windows using it:

Here is another trick to speed up your stertup: Clearing virtual mem during shutdown: but it makes stutdowns a little slower:
Here it goes:

Go to: Control panel/Admin tools/Local security policy.
Navigate to Local Polocies and select security options.
Select 'Shutdown:Clear Virtual Memory Page File' and change its value to eneble.

close everything any try a restart.

Another trick is boot defragmentation:
Start/run/type "regedit" press enter
Navigate to "HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Dfrg/BootOptimise Function.
Double click on "eneble" key and select "y".
Try a restart.

This is sure to bring your system to boot faster than ever before>>>>

Dink2cool

Broken In
i had faced the same problem a few months back .. got my comp checked by the vendor .. he said that it was due to a boot sector virus .. then he did (what he calls it : low level formatting ... i dunno what that means ) and everything my pc became normal again .. if u know what low level formatting is then you should try it .. maybe that would help

anandk

Distinguished Member
2 hrs !!!
i can only suggest u reformat !!!

ps : dont consider the 'sp3'. its an unoficial pack and could cause damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom