Symantec releases AntiSpyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Antivirus powerhouse Symantec takes aim at spyware with its free public beta of Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition.

Like previous versions of Norton Internet Security, 2005 is meant to be an all-inclusive security package for Windows 2000 and XP computers that includes necessities such as a firewall and antivirus protection in addition to its brand-new spyware detection app. As a result it's a big program, and a big download. The 33MB download installs approximately 314MB of files, 11 services, 3 startup items, 2 toolbars, and 2 BHOs (Browser Helper Objects), all of which results in 8 additional processes running in memory on the PC, which makes the system noticeably less responsive.

get the full review from
*story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=3&u=/pcworld/20050425/tc_pcworld/120564

anandk

Distinguished Member
whoa ! so many ! 314MB, 11 services, 3 startups, 2 toolbars, 2 BHOs !!!
with symantec, you can expect a bloated product !
reports say its not so good.

lavan_joy

Journeyman
This is the beta..So they may solve all problems in final version.
I think final version may take only low resources

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Wrong dude. From so many years till now when they have not managed their av resource hogging habit then you think that this problem will be solved by the final version. No scope.

Symantec should concentrate less on activation technologies and concentrate more on how to make their existing softwares fast, updating PartiitonMagic and rewriting some buggy code lines for their av.

I am fed up of jumping from 1 av to other and as of now i have only anti-spywares and no av. According to my experience of 6 years i had faced only 6 viruses (as far as I can remeber) - 5 times of which came from my college floppy and 1 was unique which kept me runnig after him for 2 days.

So i don't think viruses are a big threat as spywares as long as you know how to protect your PC. I am also writing a guide named SecureXP v1.0. Don't know when will I reach the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom