Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
In the Windows Task Manager in XP under the Process tab there is a list of all the processes currently exucuting on the system. But there are 4 processes of name SVCHOST.EXE. I want to know what this process does and why are there are 4 process with the same name. I would also like to know which processes are important for XP to work and what do these process do.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Its normal buddy.
Its there in my comp too.
These r system essential services.
Don't even try to disable them...

the_moon

Journeyman
I have 6 svchost.exe processes runnin on my Win XP. They are some system processes maybe, so dont disable them, they are essential.

Biplav

In the zone
well i too got 4 of them . and i think as already mentioned that these are all windows essential.
but got to add also-
i think u did c it as svcost.exe but just in case u got it wrong(very unlikely)
svghost.exe is a virus or malware.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
there r 5 in my comp...
And whenever i open MSPaint, one more is added to the services and I can safely end it...

anomit

In the zone
svchost uses a number of switches for different ypes of services. Here is what I found.

1.Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

svchost.exe -k netsvcs

2.Remote Access Connection Manager

svchost.exe -k netsvcs

3.Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

svchost -k rpcss

4.Remote Registry

svchost.exe -k LocalService

5.Removable Storage

svchost.exe -k netsvcs

6.Routing and Remote Access

svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Disabling the Remote Registry is recommended.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
It just handles the services ...no probs but it consumes memory...eve if u manually remove it will be restarted automatically....

Biplav

In the zone
removing the remote procedure call or remote registry might create some problems .though this is a big vulnerability; but when i disabled it my restart took ages.

anomit

In the zone
Yeah, disabling Remote Registry should not affect restart time. Dunno what you meant :?

It is simply meant for editing the registry on a comp from another remote comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom