SuSe problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
I installed Suse linux 10.1 (DVD) properly without any problems today, but here are a few nags:

1. I'm not able to connect to MySQL. It says 'unable to connect to MySQL through /var/lib/mysql.sock' or something similar.

2. When I go to *localhost, I expect the Apache mainpage to dispaly, instead it shows an error that the server 'localhost' wasn't found.

3. I'm not able to mount Windows partitions. When i try to mount it, it says 'Permission denied', even when I log in as the root.

Please help me out, guys.

thanks

martian

Broken In
For your MySQL problem this might work...

Find a file named mysql.server and create a symlink to this file in rc5.d or rc3.d (rc5 for x-windows and rc3 for command line login)

This is the Code:
ln -s /path/to/mysql.server /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S99mysql
Make sure that mysql.server is executable (chmod +x mysql.server)

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
thanks.. i wil try that out. Also, I forgot one burning issue:

I have 1024 MB of DDR2(533) RAM (2 x 512), but SuSe detects only 503 mb.. where's the rest of it??

martian

Broken In
Your second RAM must not have properly got installed on your Motherboard.. As for the remaining of your 503 MB of your first RAM, Linux uses it as its shared memory for Graphics!

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
nope... it says, total RAM: 503mb
total RAM used: 30mb

I just don't get it. BTW, I got the details using sysinfo:/

martian

Broken In
There is no problem with your first RAM. The problem probably is with your second RAM. Does your Windows recognise it as 1024 MB?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
In the Services enabled on startup you must have network and Apache checked.
Then only Apache will work properly. Maybe Suse is using the rest of the memory as
shared memory. Try loading OpenOffice.org, or any resource-hungry apps, and see
how fast it loads. If it loads fast enough that means your RAM is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom