SuSe 9.1 Personal.. Is is free? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
I hve heard that Linux can amount from free to lots of rupees.. I would like 2 know which LINUXes are free out of the given list:
:arrow: UBUNTU
:arrow: SuSe 9.1 Personal
:arrow: ELX
:arrow: Madrake 10.1
:arrow: Fedora 2.3
:arrow: Knoppix
>> Siddhartha

naveenchandran

In the zone
SuSE 9.1 FTP Version is free.........
Ubuntu is free..........
Fedora is free...........
Mandrake is free........
Knoppix is free.........

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Why do you want to have FREE distros? If one can pay for boxed pack of Windows then one should be willing to pay for Linux distributions also..

iinfi

mekalodu
i also have the same query as siddhartha ...

r the corporate editions of all linux ... free

can u plz be more clear in ur explanation ...

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Even the boxed versions if a person buys I think he is allowed to give a copy to his friends.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
RedHat Enterprise version is a commercial product and so are Suse and debian, even Xandros. Only light/downloadable versiuons are free. the kernel and all s/w are free, they charge for the support in fact.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
iinfi Aijaz Akhtar had put it right. Technically an enterprise versions of distros like Suse and Redhat enterprise are for commercial usage, as they also contain few if any commercial packages especially for the enterprises. That will include license for them. Under the hood the part which is under GNU/GPL is still free and is available in every downloadable versions of software they offer.

So no you may not be able to give boxed copy freely if certain license dont agree.

But you have enough cache of distros for every possible need, and they are more geared towards desktop user needs than towards enterprises.

You can get most of them at
*www.linuxiso.org/

Why do you want to have FREE distros? If one can pay for boxed pack of Windows then one should be willing to pay for Linux distributions also..
No body gets it completely free, atlease every one have to pay for the media somehow. ;) Ubuntu being an exception but still are paying for the net access ;)
Any ways if the commercial distribution is geared towards desktop users then why not, after all many people do purchase it. I had purchased Redhat8-9 when there was no fedora.

There are more linux distributions that sell like Linspire, SUSE, Xandros(I hope I am not wrong on this one). And few more.

I have heard that Linux can amount from free to lots of rupees.. I would like 2 know which LINUXes are free out of the given list:
Arrow UBUNTU
Arrow SuSe 9.1 Personal
Arrow ELX
Arrow Madrake 10.1
Arrow Fedora 2.3
Arrow Knoppix
>> Siddhartha
Ubuntu, Mandrake, Fedora and Knoppix are free as in freedome so you can make copy, distribute. I dont know about ELX so i skipped it.

PS: There is no Fedora2.3, may be you mean 2&3 ;)

Single CD or Live CD distributions will not have every thing and in almost every case not development platform. Like knopix or SUSE live.

K

kp_dude2000

Free Distributions are:
UBUNTU
SUSE 9.1 Personal
Fedora
Knoppix

but the downloading costs more as if you are on dialup your telephone bills thrashes you. The best thing is contact some of the vendors like Linsoft Technologies *www.linsoftindia.org i think they also have online payment options.

tuxfan

Technomancer
As usual the definition of the word free is important here. All distros of Linux are free. But take the word free as in free speech, not free beer. Hardly any distro is freeware, but they all are freedomware. For the correct definition of the word free go to *www.gnu.org and *www.fsf.org.

demoninside

In the zone
Come on there is one search option which each & every one should use.............
we were having thread regarding to this subject, and by the way i am totaly agree with GNU,
and guys please do not motivate these type of threads by replying/......................

gauravnawani

Journeyman
demoninside said:
Come on there is one search option which each & every one should use.............
we were having thread regarding to this subject, and by the way i am totaly agree with GNU,
and guys please do not motivate these type of threads by replying/......................

Whats the point??

demoninside

In the zone
U wanna know what i mean,
rather then telling them what to do,
tell them to search first to get it,

else they'll amke it a habit which wouldn't ever change.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
demoninside said:
U wanna know what i mean,
rather then telling them what to do,
tell them to search first to get it,
else they'll amke it a habit which wouldn't ever change.

It wont hurt you to reply if you know the answer. And Its quite okey to ask questions when you dont know nothing about something.

Please accept the fact that most people still are not aware that they can learn more while searching themselves. That apart I do take care while identifying stupid requests from a genuine one.

demoninside

In the zone
come on yaar this is true, but all i mean by this,

that it will help others to create a habbit of serching first, which will help them in future........

As if u work for some thing then it matters u more then things u find in ur way............

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
?Back to free (Muft) vs freedom (Mukt), let me give an example. RedHat Enterprize is a PRICED distro, but remained free as in freedom. Hence Project WhiteBox of a German Library (I forgot the name at the moment, and am in Windows at the moment) modified that, and removing all mention of RedHat, out White Box instead and removed the icons, and again released as a freeware, free of cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom