Surf internet on laptops using GPRS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merawalaid

Broken In
hi all,
i want to know if there is a PCMCIA or PC card avilable in india which uses a cell-phone SIM card to enable call and internet on a laptop?
Reliance has a device of this kind already (it costs around 14,000) and, as far as i know, is limited to Reliance connection only.

If there such a card is avilabe will it use the the GPRS connection given by the provider (eg. airtel gives free access to Yahoo, BSNL gives similar facilities) and show the same interface given in mobile phones ?
Or will it use standard browsers eg IE,Mozilla etc.?

I am about ot buy a laptop and pretty confused abt this , someone plz explain !

ishaan

Padawan
yeah AIRTEL has this 'datacard'...it has EDGE also which makes GPRS 3 times faster approx.

*www.airtelworld.com/datacard/

or u can buy the NOKIA D211 and use any gsm card in it which has GPRS like hutch, idea,etc

*www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,1449,00.html

OP
M

merawalaid

Broken In
Thanks a lot fr the prompt reply.
airtel data card loos good.
So does any one knows how fast is this airtel connection, will it be better than my 56Kbps BSNL dialup?

ishaan

Padawan
i dono about d card

but i had a nokia 7250 earlier and the HUTCH Access service which lets u use gprs to surf net on the pc

i used infrared 2 connect my phone

the speeds were terrible and evn theoretically...gprs = 43.2 so daz worse dan 56...tho in dailup also v nevr get 56

daz the bandwidth speed...for the tru 'download' spped u hafta divide it by 8

so dialup max u can get = 7 and gprs = 5.4

but this is the MAX speed and i never ever got this and if u ask the customer care, they jus say itll b fine in a lil wile

but d airtel card has d feature of EDGE which boosts gprs by around 3 times so it mite turn out 2 b good...go to one of their bigger shops and they mite give u a demo

d main advantages are:

1.mobility

2.dat ur not charged for just being online...but in dialup u hafta pay the phonecall charges

3.it has international romaing also in many countries

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
the connection is only a bit better than ur dial up connection. but mobility is its strongest point! plus the package they offer is 24hours connectivity at relatively low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom