support for HT in win xp 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
guys tell me does win xp 2002 with sp2 support hyperthreading. I was running si soft sandra and it reported that win xp 2002 does not support hyperthreading shift to xp 2003. is this true ?

casanova

The Frozen Nova
I had read an article a long time back that said only winXP supports HT. Win2003 had not released and i think winXP 2003 build had not been launched. Also you should first enable the HT option from the BIOS and then install WinXP, as HT means dual processing and it is a very big hardware change. So reinstall XP after enabling HT.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
To make sure HT works, first check if your mobo supports it. :D If it does, enable it in the BIOS, and then install/reinstall Windows XP. You should have two processors listed in Device Manager. There are some people for whom enabling HT without reinstalling XP has worked, but it never did for me. :D (Some say that it installs a different kernel for a HT enabled machine, but I never checked this) BTW, Casanova, I have a copper-holo WinXP version 2002 CD, whats a Windows XP 2003 build? Does one exist?

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
well i dont know the report is given by the tuning wizard in si soft sandra . the hyperthreading option is enabled in the mother board and debian runs a SMP kernel the mobo (ASUS 865 -vm ) supports HT .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
D00d, what are you talking about? I thought we were talking about WinXP here and you talk of Debian? :? You're trying to run HT on XP and not on Linux right? :D Did you reinstall XP after enabling HT on the BIOS?

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
oh i have a dual boot system xp and debian what i mean to say is the debian detects the hardware correctly and win xp does detect the hardware(two CPU seen in hardware manager) but the q is why si soft gives the error

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Whoa buddy, you see two CPUs under Processors in Device Manager in XP? ANd Intel AppAcc is running smoothly without errors? If that's the case, don't worry, dude. :D Your PC is OK. Even now, Sandra 2004 Pro tells me that my RAM frequency is 0.0 :D :D I think its some problem with Sandra. I take whatever it reports with a pinch of salt. :D It told me once that my CPU temperature was 80 degrees when I have MBM telling me that it was 40 :D :D Probably Sandra needs to be brought up to speed with SP2 like Nero and the other programs. Will check on the Internet anyway though first thing in the morning. If I find anything else, will post it here. :D Don't trust Sandra implicitly buddy, she can be one cool liar at times :D

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
what has got me worried is that if i see the task manager -> performance tab i see only one graph for CPU Usage History I think there should be two graphs each corresponding to one cpu right?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Ouch, yes, you're right. Yet, Windows XP shows 2 CPUs under Processors? :? Hmmm, under Computer does it say ACPI Multiprocessor PC? If it doesnt, I think you'd have to force a driver load for the multiprocessor HAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom