suggestion for a config equal or better than an imac g5

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersaiyan

In the zone
one of my friend in new zealand wants to buy an imac g5. but i am recommending him a pc assembled or branded as he would get more value for money. so guys could u suggest me a config which is better than the g5 and costs as much or lesser than the g5.
(i know i have posted this earlier in another thread but it seems no is replying) :(

G

gxsaurav

hmm, both are quite different,

Imac g5 will run Mac OS while Intel/AMD will run Windows/Linux

To compete with a Dual PowerMac G5 while still being afordable I would say

Athlon64 4200+ X2
1 GB DDR400, low latency from OCZ, Kingston or other such brand
Geforce 7800GT, should be enough for any kind of gaming, or even a 6800 GT
HD according to your need

rest u can find from looking at the other posts in hardware section

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
supersaiyan said:
one of my friend in new zealand wants to buy an imac g5. but i am recommending him a pc assembled or branded as he would get more value for money. so guys could u suggest me a config which is better than the g5 and costs as much or lesser than the g5.
(i know i have posted this earlier in another thread but it seems no is replying) :(

My dear friend.. the iMac G5 is a powerhouse. Just because the clock speed of the G5 is 1.9/2.1 ghz, don't think that it is not a fast processor.

Macs come in a package. The OS blends beautifully with the hardware to offer one complete package. If you want to consider the Photoshop CS2 benchmarks, the G5 1.8 ghz beats an Athlon 64 3200+ with the same amount of RAM in the system.

I have been using my Mac Mini since 3 months now and I don't see how I can go back to windows. The scaleable icons, the brilliant GUI and the power of UNIX underneath.. makes a very good package.. oh btw.. did i mention it had Apache, PHP and an FTP server pre-installed.. all of which can be activated with the click of a button.

Anyways, I wouldn't go beyond this.. I guess goobi would have a say here too ;)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
supersaiyan said:
its isn't a dual . just a single core g5 with an x800xl.

my dear friend.. the powermac has a dual g5 at the low end and the Quad G5 is the fastest computer Apple sells. Oh btw, the Quad kicks some Dual Xeom 3.5 Ghz, X2 4800+ and Itanium a$$. Google for the photoshop and other benchmarks if you don't believe me and I suspect that will be the case.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I think it all depends on usage. If your friend is a gamer, then Macs are a strict no-no. Otherwise, Macs are a good alternative to Windows-based PCs. If your friend has very basic needs, then a cheap, Windows/Linux PC or laptop will do well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom